|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Love my tuck bed fuel tank

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philtrains wrote:

We are one week into our first trip with the Transfer Flow 50 gal bed tank. I now have 76 gals instead of 26. I can almost go 1000 miles if I was brave enough to drive to empty. No more refueling every 200 miles. I figure I have added two hours of driving time to a day by not refueling.
The top of the "control box" on top of the tank is 2" before the bed side rails. Hope to get a folding cover for Christmas. The only bad part was the cost. Tank cost, freight, and labor was $1,600. I figure my peace of mind is worth it.

Depending on your setup, be very careful with your new tank. VERY careful! I would hate to think of what a new drive shaft would cost from Ford!

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone make a larger capacity fuel tank for Chevy-to replace the stock 26 gallon one? Not an 'in bed of truck' one, but one to replace the original one under the truck. Gary

'05 chevy 3500, duramax, allison, '00 Coachmen Futura 2790 TT, 35th anniversary edition, 05 lance 1130-stable lift

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Philtrains,

Off topic, but according to your sig, you have a 3.73 rear end. What made you put a 3.73 rear end in your rig? What gearing did your truck have originally?

2012 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

routeforty wrote:

Does anyone make a larger capacity fuel tank for Chevy-to replace the stock 26 gallon one? Not an 'in bed of truck' one, but one to replace the original one under the truck. Gary

Check Titan or Aero Tanks HERE or HERE. Depending on your vehicle year/model, believe they both offer 52 gal (65 for longbed model) replacement OEM tanks.

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

routeforty wrote:

Check Titan or Aero Tanks HERE or HERE. Depending on your vehicle year/model, believe they both offer 52 gal (65 for longbed model) replacement OEM tanks.
Thanks for the reply. A LOT more $$$$ than I had envisioned. One of them only does on site installation. Entails a trip to Ca. Guess a couple cans in the back of the truck will still be the plan. Or when the TC is on it I'll make a deck to carry them on. Hey, we just bought a car in Deltona in Dec. Probably drove right by your place and you didn't even wave. Gary

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love my 60 gallon aux tank. I know it saves me time, some $$ and lots of hassle.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

routeforty wrote:

Hey, we just bought a car in Deltona in Dec. Probably drove right by your place and you didn't even wave. Gary

Sorry I didn't wave. Probably inside crying and wishing I could get the hell out of here, but the local real estate market won't permit that without us giving the house away...........

elkhorn98

Santa Rosa, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Transfer flow also make replacement tanks for GM trucks. I love my 45 gal replacement tank. I went to the TF factory in Chico when they had a free install special. Mine was like $820 and I got a free tank of diesel. I feel a lot better traveling to new camping spots and not having to always worry about fue...the 26 gal stock tank was a joke. Transfer flow is a great company too...they treated me how a customer should be treated. Nice waiting room and free drinks for the ride home.

Elkhorn98
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison w/45 gal Transfer Flow Tank
RBW X16 Slider, Yamaha EF 2400iS
2007 Springdale 245 5th Wheel - E-Z Flex HD Suspension & Mobile Outfitters Shock Kit Upgrades
with Firestone Transforce Ht Lt 2357515 C tires

JCasper

Hillsboro, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

JCasper wrote:

Dave&Monica wrote:

The downside is the 500 pounds of payload capacity you've lost. For some, that would put them over their payload limit.

Dave
Yup,

My 2500 weighs 8,500lbs with me in it full of fuel. Gvw is 9,000 I think

Should have got a F-250. The 2005 and later F-250 with diesel option can have a 10,000 pound GVWR, so there is plenty of cargo rating.

What I think would make a ideal fifth wheel tow vehicle was the F-450 cab and chassis with a 40 gallon behind the axle and installing a Transferflow center tank would give 1,000 miles of capacity without needing to tow a larger trailer into a gas station! Not so you can drive 9 or 10 hours without stopping, but to travel from one state to another without needing to tow into a gas station.

Fred.
Nope. I'll stick with my dodge

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/12 02:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never have understoodhaving a fuel or fuel/tool box in the bed of your truck. I can see changing out a puny 26 gallon tank to something around 50 gallons. Fuel/ tool box has no room for any real storage. As far as saving money on fuel, I would be the guy that filled up and the next day the price would drop. I like to stop every so often and so does the wife, it is a good time for food, bathroom and look the rig over. The money you think you are saving in fuel costs are being eaten up by more weight. I fuel up twice a day when we are traveling a long distance. I can easily go 500-600 miles on two tanks in one day.

2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Love my tuck bed fuel tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: