RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: How appetizing!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> How appetizing!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bama bluejay

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I get older and away from the diper changes, the smell has profound effect on my overall appetite. Raised 2 sons and helped with 2 G-Kids when they were little. Had been 8 yrs. since I had to change a diaper. New G-Son came along, took awhile to be able to change him without the gag reflux.

5er4ever

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have stood up and left. Problem solved. They are not the only game in town.

Happiness is a direction, not a destination.

Success is Getting What You Want; Happiness is Wanting What You Get

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

'mlts22'
Your mistake was.........staying.
Right after she stated "I lied. Deal" was your clue. "Have a good evening.....goodbye" and left.

And 'gijoecam'........seriously

Only reason I stayed around was because I didn't want the local shire reeve to be paying me a visit later on for defrauding an innkeeper, which is not a good thing to be nailed for, and is only one of two crimes mentioned in the US constitution (the other is high treason.)

covetsthesun

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is just one more example of just how rude and boorish many have become. We've raised 4...have great gkids now. No way would I have EVER changed a diaper in a public place like that. I've become so thoroughly disgusted with the rudeness displayed by so much of society today. And money...or lack of it...seems to have no bearing.

Recently, I was injured in a large mass retail store by an out of control child racing around with a shopping cart. The kid hit me in the side injuring my foot and lacerating my elbow. It took 8 weeks for the elbow to heal..I have a dent still and a scar. The parents sent the kid to say "I'm sorry". The parents were very cowardly and kept there distance and almost acted like the kid wasn't really theirs. I'm bleeding profusely, and in pain...but I really felt sorry for the kid. His PARENTS were the real problem. The "large mass retailer" management team were concerned I might sue them. I assured them I was not interested in lawsuit...just get me some medical supplies from your pharmacy so I can bandage my wounds!

And... same "large mass retailer" different location... I went to use the ladies room... I opened the second stall and nearly lost my lunch! Someone had defecated on the floor...smeared the walls and seat of the toilet and just left it! To make matters worse THREE employees came in and totally ignored the mess. I guess I can't blame them for not wanting to be the one to clean it up...but good grief folks! I reported it to managment immediately.

Courtesy... consideration for others...has become so rare that when I DO see it... I make a point to let the person know how much it is appreciated! I was in a hotel restaurant recently and a young woman with 4 kids came in... I thought.. Oh no! There goes the morning. But... the kids sat together, the oldest two watching out for the youngest two... and they giggled and enjoyed themselves. But... they did not run wild, they were not loud and they were very well behaved and sweet. I made a point to tell the mother that she had some very beautiful and well mannered children and that she must be a very good parent and proud of her kids. The young mother just beamed! The kids waved bye bye as we left. Sadly...that happens very rarely.

The more I see of people...the more I like cats and dogs. sigh

cts

Dave E

Mid Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covetsthesun wrote:

The more I see of people...the more I like cats and dogs. sigh

cts

DITTO

If at first you don't succeed--don't try sky diving!!
I'd rather be camping

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Courtesy... consideration for others...has become so rare that when I DO see it... I make a point to let the person know how much it is appreciated! I was in a hotel restaurant recently and a young woman with 4 kids came in... I thought.. Oh no! There goes the morning. But... the kids sat together, the oldest two watching out for the youngest two... and they giggled and enjoyed themselves. But... they did not run wild, they were not loud and they were very well behaved and sweet. I made a point to tell the mother that she had some very beautiful and well mannered children and that she must be a very good parent and proud of her kids. The young mother just beamed! The kids waved bye bye as we left. Sadly...that happens very rarely.

I disagree. I think we just don't SEE it because it's what we consider acceptable and expected behavior. I believe it's far more the norm than the exception. Keep in mind that for every bad experience a person will tell 10 others whereas they rarely talk about the good stuff. We've been out and about a lot this weekend, enjoying time with our son before he goes back to college tomorrow. We were in stores, in Boston, in Rockport-all over-and the nice, considerate people FAR outweighed the bad. Think about it-when something is normal our brains just don't acknowledge it.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

I disagree. I think we just don't SEE it because it's what we consider acceptable and expected behavior. I believe it's far more the norm than the exception. Keep in mind that for every bad experience a person will tell 10 others whereas they rarely talk about the good stuff. We've been out and about a lot this weekend, enjoying time with our son before he goes back to college tomorrow. We were in stores, in Boston, in Rockport-all over-and the nice, considerate people FAR outweighed the bad. Think about it-when something is normal our brains just don't acknowledge it.

got to disagree with you on that.
When I see/experience courtesy, good manners, respect the things that should be the norm I do make note of it.
The person that holds the door open when going in/out of a place....'Thank-you!'
The person with the full grocery cart that lets you go in front of them because you have 2 items......'Thank-you!'
The person that stops short of the entrance that you are trying to turn into........'Thank-you!'
The person that lets you make a right turn onto the jamb packed street......'Thank-you'
And to the parents in next site that brings their son over to fess up and apologize for running into side of RV (when we weren't even home when it happened).......a BIG 'Thank-you', a handshake with the kid and a wink at Mom/Dad.

Yeah......courtesy, good manners, respect.....it's still out there.
But not the norm. Unfortunately.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know normal when I see it (my perception).
I also know what I DO NOT want to see (whenever we go out to dinner). And, if I encounter rude ugly people, I simply leave. I can't fix how they are, but I certainly don't have to be part of it.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the southern regioin. good manners are in my area. sure we see the usual nutjob doing something out of line. but as others stated, the norm is not eye catching. the norm is not out of place, so we don't comment on it usually. I daily see good people doing good things for others. Courtesy and consideration is not rare in my area. In fact it is the norm

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I see/experience courtesy, good manners, respect the things that should be the norm I do make note of it.

Most people do just the opposite. And I think way too many of us automatically sport a negative attitude when we're out and about, expecting the worse. I, too, make sure I acknowledge when someone is courteous, etc. And I'll admit I go out with the chip on my shoulder at times.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> How appetizing!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS