|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1990 F250 GVWR/Tow Capacity

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
nick777

on truck

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a 1990 F250 (supposedly with 460) and a 1985 camper. I also have a boat - with trailer it weighs probably 7500 - 8000 lbs.

I've read the truck weight as 5000 lbs and GVWR as 8800 lbs. Can anyone tell me if i can acheive my dream of towing the boat with the camper on? how can I determine what is safe?

Thanks!

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 04:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really the only constraints on SAFETY issues is the GVWR and GAWR ratings for the truck. Maximum trailer size and GCVWR are both basically only warranty items. Unless you have a warranty on the truck or exceed those two safety numbers (and are unhappy with the performance) then it's certainly doable.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Really the only constraints on SAFETY issues is the GVWR and GAWR ratings for the truck. Maximum trailer size and GCVWR are both basically only warranty items. Unless you have a warranty on the truck or exceed those two safety numbers (and are unhappy with the performance) then it's certainly doable.

Gross Combined Trailer Weight Rating is a safety item.

That is how the tow vehicle brakes, etc. are sized.

They are sized so that if there is a failure of the trailer brakes, the tow vehicle brakes are more than adequate to bring the combination to a safe stop under normal circumstances.

Exrhodie

Chilliwack B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

skipnchar wrote:

They are sized so that if there is a failure of the trailer brakes, the tow vehicle brakes are more than adequate to bring the combination to a safe stop under normal circumstances.

My truck Has a 7000lb GVWR and a 14000lb GCVWR , according to my build sheet my brakes are rated for 7000lbs not 14000lbs.

Theunis,Karen and 2 adult daughters
07 CC Silverado Classic 1500 Z71 5.3l 4.10axle
HD tow package
Reese WDH
09 Jayco 23B HTT

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exrhodie wrote:

NewsW wrote:

My truck Has a 7000lb GVWR and a 14000lb GCVWR , according to my build sheet my brakes are rated for 7000lbs not 14000lbs.

If your brakes are only rated for 7,000lbs, explain to me whether the brakes are overloaded if you are loaded to 7,000lbs GVWR on the TV, towing a 3,000lb GVWR trailer without brakes (not required for that light a trailer in some states, others set the limit much lower).

They are sized for a combination of 14,000lbs in a emergency.

The presumption in setting the GCVR is that if the trailer brakes failed, the tow vehicle brakes are sufficient to bring the combination to a safe stop under normal circumstances.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just look up the definition of 'rating' and then notice that there are many 'R'
in the acronyms

GCWR has been argued often and never will end till folks understand what rating
means and then in the context of a specification from an OEM for their product
Of which they provide warranty, which has further conditions.

Useless discussion with anyone who does NOT understand what 'rating' means in
reference to a specification and contract

NewsW's brake example is a prime one in reference to GCWR

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1985 250 diesel that weighs about 5800 with me and fuel, and have loaded 1500# in the bed and towed 7500# without a problem. Just make sure you have the proper equipment because you're not giving yourself a 15% cushion, assuming your camper is around a ton empty. You don't have to guess at weights. Go to a CAT scale and then you'll know your truck's weight loaded, tw, and trailer weight. There are lots of posts on how to weigh if you don't already know how to. Drive sensibly and avoid mountains.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
Equalizer WDH
'02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD, PacBrake,
6.0 cooler, Ford AIS, Isspro trans. gauge
Flashpaq tuner, AirLift airbags
2013 Ford Expedition King Ranch

nick777

on truck

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cekkk wrote:

I have a 1985 250 diesel that weighs about 5800 with me and fuel, and have loaded 1500# in the bed and towed 7500# without a problem. Just make sure you have the proper equipment because you're not giving yourself a 15% cushion, assuming your camper is around a ton empty. You don't have to guess at weights. Go to a CAT scale and then you'll know your truck's weight loaded, tw, and trailer weight. There are lots of posts on how to weigh if you don't already know how to. Drive sensibly and avoid mountains.

Thanks all! The boat trailer is a tandem axle, which I understand affects TONGUE weight, but this should not affect the trailer capacity, correct? If I go weigh everything I should use the full trailer weight, right?

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A major issue with a 1990 era vehicle that is over 20 years old:

Extent to which corrosion weakened critical components, from frame to tires to brakes to brake lines etc.

Plus, how old are the brake lining, fluid, seals, etc.

If it was well maintained and all the critical parts are new, and there is no obvious corrosion issues, it should be good up to rated load.

But if anything is amiss... be careful.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 1990 F250 GVWR/Tow Capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS