RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: I need some help w/electric brakes!!! Please

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need some help w/electric brakes!!! Please

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mac1

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do your wires run thru the axle?, most do. I had problems with that and I just rewired and bypassed the axle route.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSGTRETIREDCSP wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

Explain exactly how you adjusted them please.

Okay Don, I just came back inside. I went out and double checked the adjustment. I tighted each and every brake until I couldn't turn the wheel anymore. I backed off the adjustment until the wheel would turn. I could still hear the brake shoe making contact with the drum. I know brakes are adjusted right.

That's what I used to do until I was reading that you should only back off 6-8 clicks from wheel tight.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

Mac1

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I adjust brakes, I tighten till I can't turn the wheel. Then I back off 8 notches. Doing it this way, all wheels are set the same. Works for me.

big buford

Buena Park, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do you have the slide bar in the ford to send all power to brakes? Just stepping on the pedal (vehicle not in motion) should only send 2-4 volts and give you a dim light.

04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat Subaru pwr
06 Rhino
06 Raptor 700
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me

MSGTRETIREDCSP

Burlington, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, I'm getting all set to go out and try some things. Check ground and connections at plug. Yes, I do have the wires running through the axle. If need be, I'll run a bypass wire on the outside and see if that works. Yes, the dim light was showing while DW applied the brake pedal. We also tried the slide bar and had controller set at max setting 10. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Thanks for any and all replies.

2008 Ford, F-350, CC, 6.4 PSD
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel

big buford

Buena Park, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, dont know anything about the ford factory controller. I will assume it has adjustments? Possible somebody messed with those? I would start at the controller (adjust). Then check for voltage at 7-way pin connection. While there I would clean and make sure you have a tight connection on the brake circuit. Can use small screwdriver and bend tabs in trailer connector towards center to tighten it. Make sure everything is clean and tight, you have proper voltage signal coming out of truck then work your way back from there.

big buford

Buena Park, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSGTRETIREDCSP wrote:

Okay, I'm getting all set to go out and try some things. Check ground and connections at plug. Yes, I do have the wires running through the axle. If need be, I'll run a bypass wire on the outside and see if that works. Yes, the dim light was showing while DW applied the brake pedal. We also tried the slide bar and had controller set at max setting 10. I'll get back to you tomorrow. Thanks for any and all replies.

Good, turn the controller up use the slide bar and measure voltage on the truck pin. Plug in trailer and work your way back from there to find out where things are going south on ya.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the test light is dim on the one vs the others then you have a poor connection feeding that wheel.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about the 2008 Ford F150 OEM controller but the 2010 F150 Brake Controller has all kinds of computer interface with the truck computers.

One of the sensors is monitoring the speedometer and will not engage the brake control when using the brake pedal if the speed is lower than somewhere around 10MPH. You cannot test the brakes sitting still using the brake pedal. You have to use the manual slide bar to apply brake action.

I really thought I had me a bad OEM brake controller so I documented a whole series of tests measuring DC voltages feeding the trailer brakes by using the slide bar verses the brake pedal action and took my case to Ford. AS soon as I mentioned I had the trailer wheel jacked to run my test Iwas told right away that the wheels had to be turning at least 10MPH before the brake controller would applied electric brake action when only pushing the brake pedal.

I really don't care for this as it seems to me pulling up to a stop sign that is on an decline you would want your trailer brakes to be engaged when you have your foot on the brake pedal. The only way I can do this is reach down and apply trailer brakes by using the manual slide bar.

I no idea if this is the same way the 2008 F150 electric brake OEM controller works or not - Just passing on for your info. I think the design changes were for the 2009 and up for alot of new features with the F150 truck,

Some thing to check about before thinking the controller is not sending DC voltage to the electric brakes for your test with the trailer sitting still and connected to the Ford OEM Brake Controller. Using the manual slide bar is the only way you can send DC voltage to the electric brakes when sitting still.

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

lynndiwagon

Yukon, Oklahoma, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to give you some good advice. Forget the brake controller for now. Use the emergency brake switch. It will apply a full 12V to the magnets. Jack up any tire. Pull the emergency brake wire and go spin that tire. It should pretty much lock up as you turn it in the correct direction. More than likely, you have a condition similar to what I had. A very light coating of grease on the magent face and on the face of the brake drum. It doesn't take much believe me. Buy some brake cleaner and clean everything until dry. I am NOT recommending this next step, just telling you what I did. I know it's dangerous, etc, etc. I, personally, used some gasoline to initially clean all of the grease off of the brake drum. Outside, no sparks, no open gas cans laying around, etc. Do not do this!
Once the drums are perfecly grease free, use the brake cleaner to clean the magnet, brake shoes, backing plate, etc. After you do this, go back and try the emergency brake switch and see if the magnet sticks to the drum face.

If the brake now grabs, you can start looking at that controller. Also, that grease got there somehow. Probably need to replace all of the seals. Good luck.

Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2005 Chevy 2500HD D/A
Vision 19.5" Wheels, BFG ST230 Tires
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> I need some help w/electric brakes!!! Please
Search:   Advanced Search