|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Flow Pur Mark 8000 Instructions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The unit just arrived and the only instruction I've found is on the cannister. It simply says to take off the cap and add salt. Okay, but the gold powder is right there. Do I take it out? Looks pretty easy to spill. There's sure no room to pour salt over it. The company web site is no help.

Should I wait until I'm ready to hook the unit up to add salt?

Do I add salt right out of the box, or make a salt solution? If so, how much water?

Is there any indication regeneration is due, or just estimate water usage?

Any information will help. Thanks.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
Equalizer WDH
'02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD, PacBrake,
6.0 cooler, Ford AIS, Isspro trans. gauge
Flashpaq tuner, AirLift airbags
2013 Ford Expedition King Ranch

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you bought a cheaper version of the On the Go unit. There are several posts if you search Flow Pur. Maybe those folks can help.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Flow-Pur and On-The-Go water softeners are basically the same units. Both 'soften' water using resin beads that attract the minerals to them and then when they are 'coated' you regenerate them (clean them off) using table salt.

Should have been an instruction sheet covering 'operation' and 'regeneration' included in box........dumb.

This is taken from the website FAQ'sHERE

How do I regenerate my Mark 8000?
To regenerate your Mark 8000, you simply dissolve a box of common table salt in some water, unscrew the large cap on top of the softener head revealing the large opening and pour in the salt water solution. Let it stand for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes is up, flush the unit for a few minutes to remove the salt water. Reconnect the water supply to your RV and you are ready for several more weeks of soft water.

And this:

Approximately how long will my softener work before I need to regenerate it?
That depends on the condition of the water that you are treating. The Mark 8000 has the capacity to remove 8000 grains of hardness. If your water source is 10 grains hard, then you can treat 800 gallons. If your water is 5 grains hard, you will be able to treat 1600 gallons. This is why we did not place a meter on the Mark 8000. Water softening is a function of hardness not metered gallons. Hardness test strips are easy and convenient to use to determine if regeneration is necessary.

We use a softener when in AZ, NM, TX and anywhere that the water source is hard. 2 adults..FT-----I regen every 2 weeks. They have test strips but I just make it a routine vs testing water.

2007 RAM 3500 QC LB SRW 5.9L CTD 48re 4:10 4K in bed 'quiet genny'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
Hit the Road Debt Free & Clear April '07
Came off the road still Debt Free & Clear Jan. '14

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/12 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, O-B, I double checked the box for instruction booklet, Nothing. You say remove the top. I unscrewed it and the resins are right up there level with the top. I'm wondering if they can be pushed down into the container, although it looks like they may be sitting in a cup. As I said, "It simply says to take off the cap and add salt. Okay, but the gold powder is right there. Do I take it out? Looks pretty easy to spill. There's sure no room to pour salt over it."

I'd hate to go punching around and mess it up before I ever get it off the work bench. I'll email the company and request the instructions.

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The instructions are on the FAQ Old gave you above.

fpresto

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just got it you do not add salt. Salt is added only when it needs regeneration. It is covered in the FAQs.

USN Retired
2007 Cedar Creek 30 RLSTS
2008 F350, DRW, V-10, B&W hitch,
Pressure Pro, JT Strongarms

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I pour the slurry slowly over the resin pictured in the link? Sorry to be slow, but it doesn't look like a good plan and the "instructions" would appear to say, yes, don't worry about the resin.
Pour here?

* This post was edited 08/18/12 08:45am by cekkk *

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link doesn't work.. private album.

cekkk

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Link doesn't work.. private album.

Yeah, don't use it often enough to get it right every time, got to work on that in Forum Tech Support.

But, question answered. I called Flow Pur this morning and the answer is simple - It's ready to go! No need to add salt until the test strips, which I found, indicate the need.

Then, and I don't see this instruction anywhere, but CS said to blow out the amount of water to be replaced with the slurry, then remove the top and pour the slurry over the resin.

Thanks all.

NorCal Dan

Marysville, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been using the Mark8000 for a couple of years. You should not be able to see the gold powder when removing the cap. My guess is you haven't used the 8000 yet. I think you should remove the cap, then there is a strainer thing that can be removed, remove it and pour the gold powder into the 8000.

When it's time to regenerate what I do is unhook and cap the input connector to the 8000. Remove the output side hose but do not cap it. Remove the 8000 cap and the strainer and begin pouring salt into the 8000. I use the supply water hose to trickle water into the opening to help get the salt into the belly of the 8000. By leaving the output side of the 8000 open will allow a small amount of water to escape and make room for the water you are adding to get the salt into the 8000. Once all the salt has been input replace the strainer and top, and cap the output side of the 8000.

Every 10 minutes I will shake/invert the 8000 to help mix the salt. After about an hour I hook up the supply water hose to the 8000 and attach a short hose to the output of the 8000 and run water through the 8000 for about 3 minutes. I then remove the short output hose and re-attach my hose from the coach.

FWIW, I did replace the gold resin in the 8000 after 2 years as it didn't seem to be working. IIRC it was about $25 for the replacement resin, 3 gallon jugs of dry gold resin.

'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Flow Pur Mark 8000 Instructions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS