RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Even if they say you can, how many of you do not...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Even if they say you can, how many of you do not...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...sleep in the OH bed with the the TC off the truck?

I took mine off for the weekend in order to use the truck for some scores. I had to hop up top to get something out of one of the upper cabinets and...

...even thought the camper was lowered on the jacks to the lowest possible height I still felt the psychological uneasiness of not liking the feeling of being "up there." I would never consider sleeping in the OH bed with the camper off the truck else I get an un-restfull night.

Anyone else not feel comfortable in the upper bed when the camper is off the truck even thought the mfgr says the camper would be fine?

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

...sleep in the OH bed with the the TC off the truck?

I took mine off for the weekend in order to use the truck for some scores. I had to hop up top to get something out of one of the upper cabinets and...

...even thought the camper was lowered on the jacks to the lowest possible height I still felt the psychological uneasiness of not liking the feeling of being "up there." I would never consider sleeping in the OH bed with the camper off the truck else I get an un-restfull night.

Anyone else not feel comfortable in the upper bed when the camper is off the truck even thought the mfgr says the camper would be fine?

Nope, I do it all the time when it's stored at the house and even did it during our last camping trip. We had to haul my boat to the lake so we unloaded the TC when we set up camp. Worked great.

2011 Wolf Creek 850N/Polar Cub/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Morningstar Sunsaver
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L CTD/3.42/Hellwig Sway Bar/Torklift TD w/Fastguns
2004 Jeep Wrangler/4.0L/5-spd
US Navy Ret.

My Truck Camper Adventure Blog

ecoast

NW NJ's Highlands

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2

no worries

07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

Lynnsr

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no problem, its great.

Lynn sr

K0LFM Call Sign
Northern Lite 8-11 Q Classic SE
Pro-Craft 180 Bass boat
2003 GMC Sierra 2500, SuperSprings, Torklifts & Fastguns, Ride-Rites w/dual Control, Helwig rear sway bar, "E" rated 16" 10 ply Michelins, Heavy Duty Pads & Rotors

jmckelvy

North Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mello Mike wrote:

.....Nope, I do it all the time when it's stored at the house and even did it during our last camping trip. .....

Same here. No problems. A relatively simple engineering calculation will prove it unless your camper is a real featherweight.

06 Dodge 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto,QC,4X4,Torklifts,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990
2008 Northstar 8.5 Arrow--up for sale soon
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

States camped in with Northstar.

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have been uncomfortable sleeping with camper off the truck. I dont do it often. What helped was Torklift Wobblstopers which really cut down on movement when camper is on jacks. That helped alot.

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do it all the time. It was designed to be used that way. The back is heavier for counter-balance. Ours does say not put more than 500 lbs up there, but DH and I are avg wt, so we don't worry.

At first, it was creepy, but after talking to the folks on this forum, we don't even give it a second thought. DH bought the Torklift wobbl stopprs so that it would stabilize any movement and they work perfect. No movement at all.

As long as you have a unit made to be used off the truck and are within wt limits, you can get a good night's sleep. No jumping up and down on the bed though.

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never gave it a second thought. No way no how i' m sleeping in the cramped dinette vs the overhead queen

03 F350 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab long bed, 08 Lance 1055, Rancho 9000xl, Air Lift air Bags, Torqlift tiedowns,stable loads, super hitch, 48" super truss, Toyo 285/75R16 Opencountry HT. Rickson Steel 19.5 rims on order

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do it often without a concern. I one time, calculated what the weight would have to be to cause it to tip and it was over 2,000 lbs placed at the head of the bed, the very front. IMHO, the cab over part would break off before it could cause the aft end of the camper to lift. But like a lot of other stuff, the thought of something is much worse than the reality of it. Such as glass floored elevators on the outside of tall buildings, the Sky Walk out over the Grand Canyon, it all depends on a person's phobias that cause their anxieties to kick into high gear.
Hiking/Jeeping, in the mountains of Colorado, there are several of the old mining bunkhouses where they built the outhouse out over a cliff so they would never have to empty it, as all the waste would fall into the canyon below. Not sure I would be able to relax, trying to use such an outhouse. Probably took about 30 seconds per customer to finish their job. LOL

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my old T/C (197? Wonderland), I had a couple of Load-Locks from my cargo hauling days that I put under the front nose, but I also wrap a canvas around them to have some extra covered storage. We used it for a hunting shack once its highway days were over. I'll have to look to see if I can find photos.

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Even if they say you can, how many of you do not...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS