|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> dually tire spacers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just returned from a trip where I towed a 20' enclosed trailer as well as carried the camper.I was very pleased with how well the set up towed,however I was not happy with the spacing between the rear tires.Does anyone run spacers,how thick and were purchased? Thanks

Gripnriprod

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What problem did you encounter thatcaused you to be unhappy with the spacers. I have given them some thought if I want to run bigger tires.

'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

pslocum

Groveton, NH

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[ looked for spacers several years ago when i was running 235 85r 16 tires instead of the standard 215 's on my chevy 3500

Prices have come down since then??

url=http://www.performance4trucks.com/Wheels/Dually-Space]http://www.performance4trucks.com/Wheels/Dually-SpaceI

Phil S
2005 Chev 3500 Duramax DRW
2005 Adventurer 90RDS
Honda EU2000i
Lund 1675 50 hp Honda

U.F.O.

On Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have the factory recommended size on? Should be no trouble unless you are grossly overloaded.

1997 F-350SC 7.3 dually Eagle Cap 950 Honda EU2000

Itchey Feet

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You say you were unhappy with the spacing between the rear tires, are you refering to the fact that with the load you were carring caused the bottom part of the tires to (kiss) and showed wear on the sidewalls or that they just seemed close together but were not touching yet? Have you gone to a wider tire recently, are you @ max pressure of the tire specs? Do you have a spacer thickness in mind that you have looked at and looking for feedback of anyone that has them installed that has gone to a wider tire size?

My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have spacers between the rear tires now,but I'm thinking of adding some as with the weight of the camper and trailer my rear tires maybe touching sometimes.Just wondering if others have installed them.

pslocum

Groveton, NH

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My camper is around that weight also I have a Chevy 3500 basically the same truck I went back to the standard tire size. Yes the space is smaller but works as long as the tires are not touching.

The space is less than the Fords but again they should be fine.

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck is a 2003 GMC 3500 with the stock tires.I notice the space between the GM trucks appears less then the fords or dodges.The camper is an alpenlite santa fe 1150 so its around 4000 lbs loaded.The truck has air bags I inflate to just engage the over loads.I read on the diesel place form that several people use spacers.Since I use this truck for the truck camper I thought I would ask on this form to see if anyone had installed them.

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I just have the camper on the truck I have about a 1/2" of space between the tires.When towing my trailer this time on level surface I may have had a 1/4".If the truck was off level side to side I'm sure the tires touched.I plan to tow this trailer more often and I don't want the tires touching at all is reason for requesting info on spacers.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 225 tires on my '05 Chevy dually. They are slightly wider than the factory 215 tires. They do not touch, even with my truck loaded to 13,500 pounds. It's close, but there's still a gap. As long as they don't touch you're fine. I wouldn't worry about a spacer.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> dually tire spacers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS