|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> RVing with a cat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a 4 year old neutered tom. He always likes to travel with me in my pick-up when going out fencing or checking our herd. He is a laid back cat and has no issues with the harness the kids introduced him to about 4 weeks ago. He also will walk on a leash. Kids would like to take him along next year on our annual camping trip. Any suggestions as to what else we need to consider? How often do you stop for litter breaks etc etc?

Polishnurse

Schodack, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to have an old White long haired yellow eyed beast of a cat 22 Lbs. When he would see use packing up he'd be right on the Dash of the Mow home. The two dogs always had to have second choice. One year in Texas he wouldn't come in the park was pretty well fenced in (my mistake). Used to get up the gas tank. About three O'clock in the morning we heard the attack. I jumped up and with my little LED flash light went out looking for the him. Only fur and more fur, the LED made it look Nice and White. Needles to say, about 7:00 in the morning, I opened the door and there he was on the bottom step, licking the blood off his paws and side. Picked him up and brought him in , then started the damage hunt. Not a scratch on him. Later that morning driving out I found the coyote, dead near the main entrance. You will find most parks require all animals to be leashed. He hated the leash but he would always stay around me or the RV.... He passed away last winter 17 years of age. Sill miss him to this day.

If you pet likes to ride, then go for it and see how it goes. The biggest problem is the kitty litter box. At two in the morning it has a way of waking you up when it's used. LOL... JM2Cents.

ihavenoid

San Antonio Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your cat likes the pick-up,it will love the motorhome.Let him get familiar with the inside of the MH.After he checks every thing out,start the MH and just sit there.Do this two or three times or until he wants to get in on his own.
Put the litter box on a towel in the shower stall and go camping.

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our cat loved the MH & trailers we had. Just be careful to know where he is when you open/close slides - those small spaces are so tempting to cats!! Also, know where he is when you open/close exterior doors. At rest stops, be extra safe and put the leash on before opening ext doors. There is always the first time for them to do something unexpected and you don't want him loose at a rest stop!!! Leave the box out and he will use it when needed. Sam traveled with us for all of the 13 yrs we had her.

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our two cats travel with us. They ride in the 5th wheel that we have now. Both the MH and the 5th wheel travel never had an issue with stopping for litter box break. They just sleep till we get there......our annual trip takes 7 1/2 hours.

Oh -- we have a screen room around our awning.....they are allowed to go out into that when we camp. They go in and out the window -- my right arm is getting quite strong from opening and closing that.

2lazy4U

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get one of these so your cat can enjoy being outside with you w/o a leash. I have one and it works great. Also great for pit stops - you can put the cat in it w/ a litter box for a few minutes. Very easy to put up and down and store, very lightweight.

http://www.amazon.com/ABO-Gear-Happy-Habitat-Indoor/dp/B002KWHE1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345397449&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+tent

SWD

Land of Living Skies

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rusty will be travelling in our crew cab truck not MH. I guess we should stop every few hours for a short break and an opportunity to drink?

remoandiris

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you lose him, and are pretty sure he didn't get outside, chances are he's hiding somewhere inside. HTe first weekend my wife and I spent in our 5er, our cat squeezed under the bed. We spent about 7 hours looking everywhere around the CG and in the 5er...except under the bed. Damn cat never made a peep. We were VERY relieved when we found her.

2011 GMC 3500 Dually
New to me 2006 Jayco Designer 38RDQS
2 Boxers and a Maine Coon

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our feline Fang made many trips with us, started with camping in a tent, then a truck camper, then motorhome, then fifth wheel. Her last trip she was 19 years of age, she died just a few months short of her 20th birthday. Through most of her life she was about 7 lbs. Her last few years she was 5 lbs.

As a young cat, she required minimal care. She pretty much worked with our schedule. A walk each night on a leash (with the dogs) and tethered at the campsite Sunny spot to sleep in. Access to a litter box. Food dish usually tucked into a lower cupboard, with door left open for her but limiting the dogs' access.

As she aged, we needed to stop more often for her to pee. On her last trip, she needed two litter boxes. One in the truck and one in the fifth wheel, as she was peeing frequently. Because she had travelled much she had no issues peeing while the truck moved. She also needed to eat more often. Not more food ... same amount of food but she wanted to eat more frequently. She was also more susceptible to cold so slept under the covers with me, getting herself up every hour to take a pee.

Fang adapted to whatever we did. Deemed "semi-feral" by the vet, and also labelled as the vet's most cantankerous patient. She was one tough cookie.

When walking on leash, other dogs seemed to know to not approach that cat. One unleashed dog ran up to her in our campsite and stopped about 5' short. She simply sat and stared at that dog, with her evil eyes piercing. The dog turned and left.

She was a great cat. Miss her still!

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

LastOfTheBohicans

Edmonton, Alberta, CAN

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take our two cats with us all the time.

It may take a bit of time for them to adjust to the litter box in the vehicle. One of our cats will use it no problem. The other one is fine once we stop.

We have a crate that we use to lock up the cats while we are within the city. Too much temptation for the cats to make a run for it.

Me, DW, Five Crazy Felines, One RB Angel
2011 Ford F350 SD, PSD 6.7, SRW, CC
2011 Komfort 3230FRK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> RVing with a cat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts