|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2012 FOUR WINDS WINDSPORT 32A

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DJK 18205

Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are thinking of upgrading from our 29' class "A" 2005 R-Vision Condor with a 8.1 liter and Allison tranny. The one we are looking at is a 2012 FOUR WINDS WINDSPORT 32A with the Ford V-10 and tranny. Any pro's or con's on the new one would help. The wife likes the floor plan but I am a chevy man. Thank you!!

Dennis & Sandy
West Central Florida
2005 Condor class "A", 2012 Jeep Wrangler, 2007 Goldwing

Dennis & Sandy Brooksville, Florida
Dogs : Bosley - Cisco - Elly
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F - 2012 Jeep Wrangler - 1996 HD Dyna Low Rider

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pros is that it will be bigger and you'll like the update & floor plan better.

The cons are that you are trading in a coach and its going to cost you a lot of money. Also the MPG could potentially be much worse.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26320839.cfm
Read this current thread if you want one persons opinion of Four Winds products.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revcon Forum

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a big 'pro' is that you're getting a chassis that is 7 years newer. I think you'll find that to be a HUGE improvement over the one you have now. The modern 3V V10 and F53 chassis they are building Motorhomes on now, is excellent.

..Obviously, a coach that is 7 years newer is a huge pro as well. Also sounds like another pro is that the floorplan is more to your wife's liking. You know how the saying goes about how when the Momma (or wife) ain't happy, nobody is happy, haha.

Mileage will be about the same, I wouldnt consider that a pro or a con. Ford's V10 is actually a little more efficient than the old big block Chevy 8.1 V8 was, but when you're moving this much weight and 'pushing' so much air, you're going to use up a lot of fuel regardless, haha.

JMO, but strictly from a brand/quality perspective, going from an R-Vision to a Windsport will be an improvement as well.

..The only 'con' I can think of based on what you've said is the $$ it'll cost to do this.

Well, that and all the work it'll be to move everything over to the new unit, and get it set up to your liking (modifications, upgrades, etc). Of course, some might argue getting to do the mods/upgrades over again would be a 'pro', haha.

Anyway, good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Number one...

Number two...

That 6.8L V-10 is a beast with a diesel like 362 HP and 457 lbs of torque.

The 32A is a great value, and has a good ammount of exterior storage at 81 cu ft, standard power self leveling jacks, high pressure vacuum laminated walls which are 10 times less likely to delaminate, tubular steel framed floor, a dual pane window option, big 32" LCD TV, ceramic toilet, standard Onan genny instead of a "no name" genny, four exterior graphic/paint options to choose from, 4 interior decor choices too.

I found prices starting at brand new at $77,995.00 in Ohio, $79,900.00 in Florida, all the way up to $129,600 with full body paint! Good luck!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Con is Four Winds has one of the worst reputations for quality, workmanship and warranty repair. I also would never trade my Workhorse chassis for a Ford.

roam1

Gulf Breeze FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got my 2010 four winds windsport 32v prestige package for mid 90 K$
Had lots of bugs but all were worked out by CW over time.
That was 2 years ago and now that the warranty stuff is behind me, it has performed great. I did add stiffer sway bars, rear Trac bar, better shocks and it drives great now so probably have just about 100K$ into it.
be sure you have a good dearer with good warranty shop near in case you need it. I actually think is necessary for any rv purchase
Thor was very good when I called them on phone for help.
I love the floor plan

Overall very happy now that warranty stuff is over

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thor owns four winds right? I have nothing but good things to say about them from a customer service perspective. They stand behind their product.

2013 ACE 29.2

gone2dadesert

Encinitas, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daveinet wrote:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26320839.cfm
Read this current thread if you want one persons opinion of Four Winds products.

Yep, everyone is entitled to their own opinion about a brand they own. I've read dozens of recent (problematic) posts about other manufacturers.

I'm on my second THOR\Four Winds Hurricane, I bought the second (troublefree 2011- 31J) because I liked the first (troublefree 2007- 30Q), but I wanted a few more amenities.

Happy Trails

2011 Hurricane 31J
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

..Now that I'm thinking about this, I remember when I was shopping for a MH 'bout a year ago, I had asked a question of Thor about the Four Winds model. I got a phone call from them, and had a nice, long talk about their various MH lines (Hurricane, Windsport, etc).

I learned that they had recently (in 2010 IIRC) consolidated their Hurricane and Windsport lines into one. Now, Hurricanes and Windsports are (supposedly) built on the same line, and are pretty much the same unit, with different options of color, trim, etc. The Windsport may have a bit more 'bling', though.

That being the case, I'd take with a grain of salt anything you read about construction, quality, etc. of these two (Hurricane and Windsport) built prior to the consolidation in 2010. It may well not be relevant to the new ones being built. They (Windsport and Hurricane) are now both built on the same assembly line.

Now, as to whether the quality of one improved and/or the other went down, its hard to say.

I will say I really, really liked the Windsport models better than most anything we looked at, and thought seriously about buying one. Ultimately the main reason we did not go that route was because of the lack of any good dealers near us that carried the Windsport model.

Will

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 2012 FOUR WINDS WINDSPORT 32A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS