|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Yet Another 1/2 ton TV 5er Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that a lot of people say to NEVER pull a 5er with a 1/2 ton TV. Is that really so ? I've been looking to buy a 2012 Keystone Springdale 247. Dry weight is 6435 lbs. Gross is 7925. Dry PW is 925 lbs. (so loaded PW should be 1185 lbs.)
I currently have a 2006 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi, Quadcab, 3.92 gears, 6'4" bed. I plan to upgrade to a 3/4 ton in about a year. When I check the specs on my truck, I get all kinds of answers. Even the Dodge dealer using my vehicle VIN couldn't give me a positive answer. Near as I can tell the max allowable gross for the truck and trailer is 14,500. GVWR for the truck is 6750. Truck weighs 5325. I've seen max towable weights of 7400 lbs, 8450 lbs and the Dodge website says 9100 lbs (but doesn't even specify or ask for engine, gear or body style info).
There is just the wife and myself and we travel light. (no toys). I know that the truck has the power to handle the trailer but should being so close to the max specs of my TV be an issue ? I'm pretty sure that we will be under the max #s, but not by much.

portliz

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there - done that. Yes you could probably tow it. We did. There are lots of people out there doing it. Eventually we knew we weren't that comfortable with the weight and the safety of towing that close to the trucks limits. Also we realized we were settling for a rig that fit the truck not the rig that we really wanted. It is expensive to change rigs. If we had to do it again we would be patient and find the rig we wanted and then make sure we got the right truck to tow it. You are carrying precious cargo.

djgarcia

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that a lot of people say to NEVER pull a 5er with a 1/2 ton TV. Is that really so ? I've been looking to buy a 2012 Keystone Springdale 247. Dry weight is 6435 lbs. Gross is 7925. Dry PW is 925 lbs. (so loaded PW should be 1185 lbs.)
I currently have a 2006 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi, Quadcab, 3.92 gears, 6'4" bed. I plan to upgrade to a 3/4 ton in about a year. When I check the specs on my truck, I get all kinds of answers. Even the Dodge dealer using my vehicle VIN couldn't give me a positive answer. Near as I can tell the max allowable gross for the truck and trailer is 14,500. GVWR for the truck is 6750. Truck weighs 5325. I've seen max towable weights of 7400 lbs, 8450 lbs and the Dodge website says 9100 lbs (but doesn't even specify or ask for engine, gear or body style info).
There is just the wife and myself and we travel light. (no toys). I know that the truck has the power to handle the trailer but should being so close to the max specs of my TV be an issue ? I'm pretty sure that we will be under the max #s, but not by much.

your doing the right homework and asking the right quesions If at all possible $$ wise I would suggest going to a 3500 or 1 ton Dodge. I think the difference when I bought my new Dodge was about $6K but IMHO, well worth the $$$.

Dick
djgarcia1939@gmail.com

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would do it, no worries. (see signature)

http://www.keystone-springdale.com 247

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any 1500 truck can tow a 5th wheel trailer if the weights match up.

Looking at Dodge Body Builders website show a '06 SLT 1500 Hemi 3.92 gears QC short bed with 17" wheels has a 8750 lb tow rating and has a 1610 lb payload with a 14k GCWR. Their is a 1100 lb reduction for 20" wheels.
The truck will have no issues pulling the trailer.

However...... your gonna' be close on overloading the trucks GVWR and its small 3900 RAWR/tire capacities and a 6750 GVWR. I sure wouldn't carry weight over the tires capacities.

With a 1610 lb payload a 5th wheel hitch with rails may weigh 200 lbs for a manual sliding hitch. Now add another 100 lbs for gear and stuff over the rear axle and your payload is down to 1300 lbs for a wet pin weight.

Your gonna' be max loaded. And no you won't be a hazard to the world or everyone/yourself on the road. The truck simply just wears out a bit quicker.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See my sig. You have a slightly newer and bigger motor than me (I don't know your HP and torque) and a higher rear end. You'll be hauling a lighter trailer than me and more importantly, your bed is one foot longer than mine (I have to use a sliding hitch). Some people will tell you no way a 1/2 ton can pull a FW, but these are not our grandfathers' 1/2 tons

You shouldn't go crazy and pull something that clearly should be pulled by a one ton truck. And, if the FW you're planning on buying has the newer eased front corners, you may not need a slider.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

Water-Bug

Traverse City, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That 17" vs 20" wheel issue is one of the questions for which I cannot get a definitive answer. Some debate on the issue is here:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=37784.0#top

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm OK with towing with a 5'er with 1/2 ton if weights are within all the towing parameters. However I think its is foolish to deliberately purchase a marginal combo. That is essentially maxed out from the start.
Many start out this way and are upgrading ASAP. I understand trying to make a combo work or testing a combo if you already own the truck. But to purchase a marginal truck or a rig that obviously puts your combo on the edge of its ratings is just silly. It will only cost more to upgrade down the road.
Get it right the first time its cheaper that way.
Buy the rig that you really want. Why buy a rig based on the specs. of a truck you plan to get rid of?
Think it all through too many are in constant upgrade mode. Bigger RV requires bigger TV. Once bigger TV is purchased sights are set on bigger RV...and so.
on

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can pull it but bet you won't like it if you use it much at all and are the typical driver. Also go back and check your wieght ratings. From your post the truck GVWR is 6750 and wieghs in at 5300# leaving you 1450# of payload in theory. The pin wieght on that FW with GVWR of 7900# is going to be more like 1,600# not the 1185 you think. Make sure you check actual axle and tire ratings. I don't get too nerveous about being over GVWR for the truck but dang sure ain't going to exceed axle or tire ratings.

12thgenusa

Lakewood, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djgarcia wrote:

If at all possible $$ wise I would suggest going to a 3500 or 1 ton Dodge.

A 1 ton for a trailer GVWR of 7925?

Dave & Gean

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7
2009 Cougar 245RKS
370 watts ET solar
Rogue 3024 MPPT controller
440 Ah battery bank
ProWatt 2000 inverter
100% LED lighting

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next