RV.Net Open Roads Forum: wife needs assurance!!!! route from Philly to Long Island

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> wife needs assurance!!!! route from Philly to Long Island

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
LarryDel

Lewes, Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Everyone:

Yes, my husband has always gotten good information from all of you out there. This is a terrific site. Last week Larry needed advise on a route from Philly to Long Island NY. Well usually we get lots of responses, this time only 4!!!! I said, "oh no, it IS going to be that bad driving to Long Island!!! I realize anywhere close to NYC---well how can you find a good route---right???? So my only question is: I know this sounds silly but whichever route we go will the roads be wide enough for the tractor trailers and us? We have been on some narrow roads/bridges in the past even after we thought we did our homework. By the way, both my husband and I share the driving, actually I feel more comfortable behind the wheel; however whether he drives or I drive, it will still be nerveracking!!! I just wanted to get a little more feedback from all of you.

Thanks and Happy Trails,
Lou Ann

ecoast

NW NJ's Highlands

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consensus was to go thru staten island.

07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

ed1

Nesconset NY USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There really are no good ways to get onto Long Island. When we go South, we use the Outerbridge and Verrazano bridges. The Outerbridge is narrow, but I just move onto the centerline while going through the truss bridge, and no one tries to pass for that brief time. The real issue is travelling the BQE to get to the LIE. The route is congested and has a low clearance of 12 ft 2 in. The only way we manage to survive is to plan to travel during the off hours. We've found the best time is a Sunday morning.
A similar situation exists for the George Washington and Cross Bronx. The congestion is made worse by the large number of semis travelling Rte 95. Again, the best solution seems to be Sunday morning.
Ed

2002 Holiday Rambler Admiral 32

slay

Hackettstown, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what you are driving or hauling, but with any RV you really only have two choices:
1) Through Staten Island via the Goethals Bridge or Outerbridge Crossing (both narrow lanes) to the Verrazano, then north on the Gowanus and BQE to the Long Island Expressway, or
2) The George Washington Bridge to the Cross Bronx Expressway tnen either the Whitestone or Throgs Neck Bridge to the Long Island Expressway.
You are not allowed on the Belt Parkway and I don't think you are allowed on the Grand Central Parkway either. There is construction where the GW Bridge empties onto the Cross Bronx Expressway. I don't know, but I suspect there is construction on most of the other highways in New York.
There is just no good way to get through the city. Avoid rush hour and grit your teeth.

Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2008 Toyota Yaris pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to be the season for road repairs, so it's gonna be tight just about any way you travel in the NYC area.
The best advice I could give, would be to try and schedule your NYC transit so that you are avoiding rush hours....though it sometimes seems as if rush hour for NYC is from midnight until 11:59PM (yeah, 24-hours!).

I went across the George Washington Bridge last night, and they had the lower level closed to all but "EZ-Pass" vehicles...and the Upper Level was bumper to bumper, and lots of Semis. The road work on the east side of the bridge will really confuse you, and it's pretty narrow at times....though I doubt that it would be a real problem, since big trucks are going through there all the time.

The radio (1010-AM has reports every 10-15 minutes))was saying that the Tappan Zee (really too far north for your needs) was closed in both directions??? And the Whitestone and Throgs Neck bridges to Long Island were down to single lanes traffic.........and this was at about 11:00PM

Depending on the size of your rig, I would probably avoid Staten Island and and the Verrezanno Bridge which would require using the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE), which can be pretty hairy in a car or light truck I don't think you can take an RV on the Belt Parkway, though maybe they have changed the rules?? I know that I got a ticket for driving my Pick-up on it about 30 years ago I guess it's NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES, so maybe an RV is OK?
If that is the case, I'd agree that Staten Island and the Belt Parkway would be best/shortest route.

If it was me, I'd take the GW Bridge and then either the Whitestone or Throg Neck bridges....but do a bit of research (contact the Port Authority) to see which would be better for your situation.....as well, as what restrictions you might have regarding the LP in your RV?

Hope that helps....and maybe someone who lives there...traveling these roads all the time will have better suggestions. I make the trip every few weeks, but usually just go through NY on my way to CT...so take the GW Bridge and I-95.

* This post was edited 08/22/12 03:14pm by PapPappy *

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

EMPIRE LI

Long Island NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/12 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Lou Ann I replied to your first post. Slay is correct do not go on any road that says parkway that includes the Grand Central. Again go over the Outerbridge only center span is narrow reread my last post. NYC is no fun aviod rush hour take your time it is do able I have no other way to leave or get home. That being said the Staten Island route inbound will save some toll money also the Bronx/GW route outbound will save. Pm me if you need more help drive safe Rich

2004 Chevy Tahoe lt 2009 29bhs Coachman
Reese wd
Honda 3000

cm11599ps

Long Island

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/12 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you make this trip yet? Where are/were you going on Long Island?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> wife needs assurance!!!! route from Philly to Long Island
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS