|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> cell antenna booster

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
timn

oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/13 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone use any of the cell phone antenna boosters while traveling. We are going to moab this friday would like to stay in touch with the daughter. We use us cellular thanks.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/13 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done alot of traveling in my working years for the electronic systems industries which has taken me to all the corners of the US over the past 40-plus years.

The best system we had for cell phone service for those way back off the main road places was always VERIZON and probably still is today. I would say AT&T is the next best. Most others providers usually follow the big towns and Interstate highways... When you have to get off the interstates and get in the woods somewhere then in my opinion VERIZON is the one to chose.

I have had great luck with my RV Trailer on-and off road camping using a Verizon MIFI 2200 unit which is a stand along small unit that has internal batteries and can run from a 120VAC transformer. This provides a great area WIFI HOTSPOT that you can use up to five WIFI READY devices with it. I have my big DELL M90 LAPTOP workstation, wife uses her HP 11-inch laptop, our tablets, etc and get great internet results everywhere we go. We use this for our internet through VERSION mainly for keeping in touch with the family, checking bank accounts, paying bills, and some plain ole surfing the net.

Our MIFI is only a 3GB data plan with Verizon and is enough for us to use every month and not go over our 3GB data plan. They have larger dataplans available to suit your needs.

We did this around five years ago and still working great for us. This MIFI unit works anywhere we have Verizon CELL PHONE service. I have no idea what is out there doing this same thing. Back then it was illegal to hack a cell phone to become a WIFI hot spot. I think that has changed now but the other bad idea that goes with being a WIFI HOTSPOT may mean you lose the use of that cell phone when it is in this mode. The stand alone MIFI unit solves this problem. On your monthly bill this shows up as another cellphone number account.

The stand alone Verizon MIFI 2200 unit works great for us and we actually improved on its availability by using a WILSON SLEEK CRADLE to dock this unit in which has an outside antenna option which really improves on getting cell phone service when camping off the power grid.

I can slip this small unit in my shirt pocket and go sit on the sandy beaches at the coast and play with all our bring along WIFI toys anywhere we go. Certainly make poor WIFI connctions at most camp sites a thing of the past.

This is the WILSON SLEEK CRADLE we use to dock our MIFI unit in when in the RV trailer. The outside cell phone antenna really helps big time...

You just slip the MIFI UNIT into the WILSON SLEEK CRADLE like this and it works great. This photo is showing a 4G MIFI unit but my 3G MIFI works the same.

This has been our working RV internet operations for the past four to five years. Works well for us to stay in touch anywhere we we go.

Roy Ken

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/13 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the Wilson Sleek also. It does just what it claims; boosts signal a couple of bars. But there are still many places it can't get a tower.

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/13 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodhog wrote:

Funny how in all their wisdom the Apples, Androids etc. of the world have never figured out that many users need an external antenna jack on the device...

That is a fact.

woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/13 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny how in all their wisdom the Apples, Androids etc. of the world have never figured out that many users need an external antenna jack on the device...

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow Longbox 200 Watts Solar, LED lights.
12 Volt DC Fridge.

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/13 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

We use the Wilson Sleek also. It does just what it claims; boosts signal a couple of bars. But there are still many places it can't get a tower.

+1

We were in Moab last fall and our Wilson helped, but it can only amplify a weak signal, not create a signal when it can't get one. There were many areas, Canyonlands NP for example, where we had no service.

2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/13 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted a antenna and booster that would work with either my cell phone or air card. While most air cards have antenna ports many cellphones don't.

Wilson makes a repeater that broadcasts to the cell phone or aircard and does not require an antenna port. It requires a minimum distance between the inside antenna and the outside trucker) antenna.

Because of where I wanted to mount the outside antenna, amplifier, and wireless air card router I could not get the minimum distance.

I bought this Wilson "SIGNALBOOSTâ„¢ Mobile and Home/Office Cellular/PCS Amplifier (811210)."

You can see it HERE
It uses a small flat plate antenna that Velcros to either the phone or the aircard. Not as convenient as the repeater and perhaps not as efficient but it has worked well for me.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

cleary

Fairbanks, Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/04/13 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

woodhog wrote:

That is a fact.

My ATT Elevate-3C65 Hot Spot does have external antenna connections and they have an external antenna for it as well. I have both and they work well here in my home. I have a very strong cell signal here so I can't say how well it works with a weak signal since I puchased it after we parked the camper last fall.

Chuck

2006 F-350, 4X4, Crew Cab, V-10, Torqshift, Dually. 2008 Okanagan 106UDB. Both 4-wheelers and snowmobiles. KL7AY Our website

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/13 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Wilson Sleek Cradle kit in our 5er and it helps a lot,at home I have a Wilson outside ant, amplifier and inside antenna and that really works well. But as mentioned they cannot create a signal, only amplify what is there.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

gajd33

Winder,GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/13 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

woodhog wrote:

That is a fact.

Funny and sad because its true. I would have a 20 foot boom antenna off the back of my MH if my iphone had an ext. jack.

We ended up buying a fancy cell booster instead. They are pricey but it does improve the signal. I would say it gives an extra bar or two. So if there is no signal with your phone, a booster probably wont work wonders.

More Info on Signal Booster
More info specific to RV Signal Boosters

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> cell antenna booster
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: