RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Folding Trailers: pop up under 1000 lbs?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> pop up under 1000 lbs?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
camtrek302

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/02 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. I'd like to know if anyone here knows of a manufacturer that makes a pop up under 1000lbs? I just read on a pop up FAQ site that there are pop ups starting at 800 lbs. We have a 97 Honda CRV which is rated to tow only 1000 lbs with 100 lb hitch load. I've checked out the Aspen pop up which is made for the larger touring bikes. They're well under 500 lbs and, and although they seem to be well made, they only offer the convenience of having beds of the ground. We'd like to at least have a galley area and just a bit more room. Would really appreciate any input. Thanks.

Turn Key

North Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/02 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe if you need to stay under 1000 lbs., that's about all you'll be able to pull. You must remember that that 1000 lb. limit is "total" weight, trailer and contents. Also, you can use up 100lbs. tounge weight real fast.
I know that this isn't good news but you may want to re-think what your planning.

Turn Key and DW
Pepsi, One Very Spoiled Boston Terrior
'03 Chevy 2500HD, 4X4, X-Cab, Long-Bed
'04 K-Z "Durango", 275RK ("Sunday Haus II")
Twin Kayaks, "The Ride" by Wilderness Systems

bluesky

South Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/02 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aliner has some stipped-down models that are slightly less than 1,000 lb., unloaded.

Listen to Turn Key's advice. Don't lose sight of the fact that your primary mission is to be safe.

Dino

1997 Ford Expedition 5.4L with RS9000X Ranchos and Prodigy
1998 Sunnybrook 24FB with Hensley Arrow
homepage: Low-Tech Ideas, Tips, Hints and Solutions for RV Trailering

"Please RV Safely and Courteously"

Spirit Deer

Boundary Waters, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/02 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might check here:

http://www.kamperoo.com/

I don't know if these are available in the US or not. You could e mail the company and ask.

I'd be worried about the low tow vehicle rating, too. You wouldn't be able to have additional weight in the car, either.

Good luck. It's frustrating to want to do something and not have the right equipment to do it with.

*This Message was edited on 13-Jul-02 06:22 AM by Spirit Deer*

Spirit Deer
One husband
Two huskies
Three kitties
1983 Itasca Sunflyer moho (Arvie) (big toy)
2005 Chevy Astro
2005 Palomino Mustang (Sally) (slightly smaller toy)

chuckr

High Springs , FL. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/02 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a 1987 Coleman Columbia. It has a base axle weight of 900lbs, hitch weight of 90lbs, base
vehicle weight of 990lbs. Add 20lbs of LP and 50?lbs of A/C and the little bit of stuff there is room for on the inside and I am at 1150 - 1200 lbs. My car is rated at 1000lbs / 100lbs. It tows
great ! No camper sway, no rear end car sag, enough power in the N.C. mts. This camper does great for our car (I think GM has under rated it), but the CRV might be another story. Sorry I ramble sometime. My point is, we looked around and this unit was the lightest we could find. Coleman does not make one this light anymore.
Rent a utility trailer and load it up to 1200 lbs
(use a truck stop scale) and see how your CRV does.

Chuck Roder, Wife and Son
2000 Chevy Impala
1987 Coleman Columbia
*This Message was edited on 13-Jul-02 11:07 PM by chuckr*

*This Message was edited on 13-Jul-02 11:07 PM by chuckr*

Turn Key

North Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/02 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote: "Rent a utility trailer and load it up to 1200 lbs
(use a truck stop scale) and see how your CRV does. "

Very good idea! Never thought to try that! Thanks, ChuckR.

chuckr

High Springs , FL. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/02 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me know how it does ! .

Chuck Roder

camtrek302

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/02 03:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great input/advice. We may have to stick with good old tent camping until we can get a larger tow vehicle. It's too bad Coleman no longer makes the lighter weight pop-ups. Unfortunately, almost all the light weight touring bike/off road type trailers I found on line all seem to just be available in Australia (at least the ones that seem really well made, like Travel Sleeper). The Kamparoo is available in the US but didn't offer as much space and options as the Travel Sleeper. Aliner 'Scout' (striped down model) could work for us weight wise, but we really prefer a tent trailer...feels more like camping, to us anyway. Since we're still exploring all our RVing options I'm sure there's something out there that's just right. Thanks again!

*This Message was edited on 16-Jul-02 04:05 AM by camtrek302*

Buffalo Clover

Southern WV

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/02 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a small folding trailer idea for you - We've had a Time Out Camper for 1 1/2 years and like it a lot because it's light enough to pull with a compact car and has lots of space - "room enough to hold a small square dance"! It's made in Indiana and only weighs 300 pounds. They're made to pull with a motorycle.
It's got a queen size sleeping area, a living room, and the galley area you mentioned. Here's the web address: http://www.timeout-trailers.com
People find it hard to believe that much space is all folded up in such a tiny trailer. It's enabled us to get off the ground without buying a large vehicle.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> pop up under 1000 lbs?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS