RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Terry Lite vs Prowler Lite???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Terry Lite vs Prowler Lite???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
VTR Pat

Chandler, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/02 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours is a 2002 Prowler 25-J Northwest Edition. Very pleased with Fleetwood, although as the owners manual clearly states "for recreational use". It's not a trailer for full-timing.

Our choice came down to a Prowler or Wilderness. Both exactly the same except for the deacals outside and color patterns insode.

Same factory assembly line. Terry may come with slightly ungraded options, Mallard slightly below.

Our first choice was 25-Y, great floorplan with bump out sofa, but 700 lbs more was more weight than I wanted with 1500 series truck.

Ours listed (with options) right at 16K, purchased (before tax, fees and tire plan) for below 14K.

'O3 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab, 4 x 2, Auto, 2 Tone Graphite over Silver, HO Cummins Turbo Diesel, 3.73 anti-spin.
'02 Prowler 25-J Northwest Edition, Prodigy controller, Equal-izer.

bgar

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/02 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far an I know both your two and the Wilderness are made in the same place. I looked at a Terry 22W and mine the same day. Other than the color they we the exactly the same. If the Terry dealer wasn't so proud of his trailer, like about $1400 dollars. And I hadn't bothered to shop around and do my homework I would have a Terry now.

Now to address the issue Fleetwood bashing: I purchased a Fleetwood because it was in the size and weight range that I needed. I have no intent to live in it for extended time period. I drag it through some of the most bone jarring dirt washboard road in Wyoming, Montana, Utah and Idaho. I have three small children that bring in bugs and various other critters collected in the woods. Dirt, dust, mud, sand, leafs, and who knows what else gets dragged in. Can you believe we don't even have carpet? We spend all day playing on the beach, hiking in Yellowstone or some other place. So having the Wilderness is sure nice to come back to. We have a shower of our own, our own beds and our own refrigerator to pull a cold beer out of. So while the kids are roasting hotdogs over the campfire I can kick back and relax.

I didn't spend $100,000+ on portable condo to be driven from paved over RV Park to the next. If that is your idea of camping, well more power to you for it. But try not to trip on your feet while your looking down your nose at rest of us.

Husband, Wife, twin 11yr olds and a 10yr old. 1
1 Scotty and 1 black cat

Forest River Class C 31'

My Heros have always been COWBOYS!

Tmeek

Jackson, MS

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/02 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got back from our first major trip with our rig (see signature), and it was unbelieveably smooth. Nine nights and 2,500 miles round trip from Jackson, MS to Reading, PA - through the mountains of GA, TN and VA for the major portion of the trip.

The trailer - a 2002 Prowler 826M, pulled like a dream, no sway and had no failure of any sort (except one of the drawer tracks in the bathroom came loose...) I have no complaint at all with our Prowler - it's proven to be a fine unit.

Our truck, a 2002 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 liter V8 and 3.92 axle, did just great as well. Some of the mountain grades caused us to have to shift into second (the 45RFE transmission has 2 seconds - a high and a low). When speed dropped to 60, we just kicked down to second high, and maintained 60 mph at 4000 rpm (low would maintain 55 mph at the same rpm) - had no problem with any grade and I actually had to hold back to keep from accelerating. Even on the several-mile 5% grade south of Roanoke VA (the motor seemed to be in a groove)at 4000 rpm , the temperature never got much above 190.

In most cases, though, barring a stiff headwind, the rig held speed at 65 or 70 up the grades in third at about 2800 rpm.

Good trip, saw several wonderful campgounds and met some real nice folks.

Long winded way to say I recommend the Prowler - but what the hey!

Previously - 2000 GMC Savana, 2007 HR Aluma-Lite 8308S. Now - 2006 Chrysler Town & Country

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/02 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a 2003 Prowler Lynx 722f. It's not going to be one you would take to an "RV Street of Dreams" show, but it's got all the stuff I wanted for a camping trailer. Sure, it's got it's minor detail problems, but nothing that can't be fixed with a turn of a screwdriver. Heck, it's only 2 months old from date of manufacture!

It's an UltraLite, so it's supposed to have light weight materials. Everything works. It has A/C, micro, double door fridge, queen bed, awning, storage. Bash all you want, for 12k out the door, I'm satisfied.

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

minnow

Upstate New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/02 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll explain my observations of the Fleetwood line. When we were looking for a trailer last year, we looked at them all(or it sure seemed like it !) The Fleetwood we looked at was at an RV show. It had a folding TV stand mounted to the wall. I looked at it and thought that there was no way that the shelf would hold a TV. I pushed on the shelf and it feel off onto the floor. As I picked up the shelf I noted three things right away: First, the screws holding the shelf into the wall were about 1/4 long and Second, the shelf had fallen off three times already by the looks of four sets of seperate screw holes in the wall. Third, none of the screw holes were even near a stud and all that was holding those 1/4" screws was an 1/8" thick paneling. I then looked at th trim,fit and finish of the unit and within five minutes, I knew that this unit was not made for the long haul.

JimK

Ohio's North Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/02 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just took delivery on our new 2003 Prowler Lite 25Y about 3 weeks ago. We've only been out once so far but it towed well and we found no major problems - a couple of minor things I fixed myself but nothing worth towing it back to the dealer for.
In our search we found that in Fleetwood the Prowler, Wilderness, and Terry are just about identical except for trim although if there is any "ranking" it appears to be from top to bottom - Prowler, Wilderness, Terry, and Mallard. However, if you check the Fleetwood web site you'll find the base MSRP for a given model is the same for Prowler, Wilderness, and Terry. Mallard seems to be a little different and doesn't match the others in models.
Although you mention Prowler and Terry in your original post, Wilderness also has the 25Y. So, shop the dealers and look for the best deal. If you contact Fleetwood thru their web site they'll send you a list of dealers near you.

Jim and Cathy
GMC 2500HD, Ext. cab. 6.0L. V8 4WD
2005 Trail Bay 27DS

stoneface

locust grove, va

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/02 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings

"I pushed on the shelf and it feel off onto the floor."

The shelf was problably designed for a small TV set.
Maybe about 20 lbs.

Come now lets be reasonable.

The bashing occurs because other people want us to be just like them. Here's the thought pattern - "I bought this TT and now I want you to be just like me. If you buy one just like mind you will help me know I made the right choice."

I bought a used 1997 Terry (24M) and I really like it. My first TT was a used 1984 Wilderness. No problems here.

It appears to be the same 10 people over and over again that have the negative comments about TT.

Have a nice day.

*This Message was edited on 20-Aug-02 06:42 AM by stoneface*

JAXFL

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/02 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is this banging on fleetwood? I have a 2002 Terry Lite 25J and love it. Been out about 6 time in the last 5 months and except for my own dumb things that TT has been great. I highly recommend the TERRY and fleetwood in general. They are not as posted before full timer TT but if you want to spend 3 times as much go with the Teton. My MSRP was like 18K I bought it for 12.5K so look for the best price, The MSRP can be found at Fleetwood.com.

Happy Trails to you and yours
JAXFL
F150 XLT Ext.Cab Auto 5.4L
V8 Triton 3.55 4X2 SWB 139”
2002 Fleetwood Terry Lite 25-J

Scott/TX

Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/02 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Forum. Was new to RVing 3 months ago but bought a used '96 Terry (24C) and since made 3 trips totaling 3,300 miles. Looked at more used Class Cs, pop-ups, trailers, 5ers than I can count and as far as I am concerned the quality of this Terry is great (esp for the price and UVW).

I assume Fleetwood products are made at many plants around the country (I think mine was assembled in East Texas). Most complaints I have seen are fit/finish not design/engr. Could there be a pattern to poor quality at certain plants?

edm

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/02 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By my reckoning, Fleetwood receives a lot more abuse than is deserved. I too did quite a bit of research before purchasing. Spent over a year at it, attended two RV shows, including the big one in Harrisburg PA, and looked at trailers until my head was spinning.

We use our trailer to travel, taking one major vacation a year (2-5 weeks), along with a couple of long weekend outings. I was looking for value; nothing fancy, but well equipped, and reasonably well constructed without breaking the bank. Based on what I had read on these boards, I had a bias against Fleetwood. I considered Jayco, a couple brands in both the Keystone and Forest River lines, Sunnybrook, K-Z, Timberland…and probably several others. In the end I found that the Fleetwood unit that I purchased offered the best combo of features, specs, floor plan, quality and value (I paid $14,200 for a unit that listed for ~18,500). We love the trailer and have had no problems with it so far. (I therefore cannot speak to warranty service.)

So from my perspective I see no reason to steer clear of the Fleetwood products (If I had not been biased against them my shopping might have been easier and quicker). Go ahead and shop different manufactures to see what else is offered, but if you like what you see in the Fleetwood, don’t hesitate to buy it.

It is true that the Terry, Prowler and Wilderness are identical other than graphics and interior colors. The Mallard line also has most of the same models, but some things that are standard on the other lines are upgrades on the Mallard, and a few options are not available on the Mallard. Also, there are a couple of smaller floor plans that are only available in the Mallard line. Fleetwood TTs are manufactured at several plants around the US. Mine was assembled in a rather local-to-me facility in Hagerstown, MD (although I have yet to visit the plant).

'99 Chevy Suburban K2500, 454, 4.10, 265/75/16 LR E
'02 Fleetwood Wilderness 27H
Equal-i-zer hitch, prodigy controler
'89 GMC Suburban R1500, 350, 3.73, just 'cause I like it

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Terry Lite vs Prowler Lite???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts