|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Riding in Fifth wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wdbring

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone allow their family to ride in their fifth wheel trailer, and do you have seat belts? I checked with my state and they allow riding in a fifth wheel trailer with communication and seat belt laws do apply.

DoubleD

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have pulled a 5th wheel for 15 years and have never allowed it to happen. Too much at stake as far as I am concerned. I do know of people that do but feel the liabilites outweigh allowing them to ride in the trailer.

Sublime

Santa Fe, New Mexico USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've recently seen replys on this very site about TT's getting out of control and rolling themselves, and in some cases the tow vehicles also. In my opinon, the camper is a good place to store things when traveling, but a person is not one of those things. I have wanted to have my wife drive down the road a few miles so I can get in the camper and see what happens while traveling (rattling cabnets, swinging blinds, etc.), but not for very long. I know that 5er's are more stable going down the road, but it's still a chance.

Have Fun!

*This Message was edited on 28-Aug-02 02:33 PM by Sublime*

1999 Ford PSD Auto Trans. 4x4 SuperCab
2004 Lance 835
"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late"
NRA Life Member

CGLGNG

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe TX law differentiated between FW and bumper pull. Passengers are allowed in FW but not bumper pulls.

I can not imagine a need that would out weigh the dangerousness for allowing passengers to ride inside the FW. I have seen a race trailer pulled by a big truck that had crew quarters in the trailer with the car. I would not want to ride in the thing though.

As far as seat belt laws, any truck over 3/4 ton (1 ton and up) used to be exempt from the seat belt laws.

PKB

2000 Prowler 285S,
'97 Ford F250 CC PSD SWB,
Tekonsha Sentinel,
Reese 16K Slider,
Generac 4000EXL

cmoehle

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, TX allows it in 5ers--though I think you need communication.

I also agree, I'd never do or allow it.

CampfireSoapbox.com

Btowndan

Bloomington Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the question should be, who would really want to ride in a fifth wheel? There is nothing about it that sounds like fun. Think about how much time it takes to just secure everything down because its such a rough ride. Not to mention the lack of A/C. Sure it might be legal but that's about the only good part.Btown

Hey look, Im one of those senior members now. Wow and it seems like only yesterday that I typed my first post.

*This Message was edited on 28-Aug-02 05:16 PM by Btowndan*

"ARE WE THERE YET"

2002 f-250 sd cc 4x4 off road lariat V-10
2002 cougar 286 efs
Reese Hitch 16k slidder
Prodigy brake controller

HARDDOG

Clarksville, IA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Under no circumstances would I allow anyone to ride in the fifth. Automobiles are made for riding in. The auto manufacturers have spent millions, perhaps billions, making them safer for the ouccupants. Ever seen pictures of a camper that has rolled down the highway? Not pretty.

"Time flies. It's up to you to navigate."
Joel, Nicole, Cade and Cailyn Hardy
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 6.0L
2005 Jay Flight 30.5 BHS fifth wheel
Volunteer Firefighter

Dean Huster

Harviell MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I recall, a large percentage, if not a majority, of states allow you to ride in either a travel trailer or a fifth wheel, although it is a bad idea. You have a lot of metal and bracing protecting you when you roll a truck; you sometimes haven't much more than some 2x2 sticks protecting you if you roll a trailer, and a trailer will roll a lot more easily than a truck.

If there is a wreck, there's so much more stuff in a trailer to help you get injured that you'll think you're in a ball mill. Whether a head-on collision or a roll, depending on the RV, you'll have furniture, appliances, televisions and all sorts of things joining you on your new "ride" ... and some things that you assumed were securely bolted to the trailer may join in, too.

I've not seen any trailers equipped with seat belts. And if you tried installing belts yourself, where would you put them? Few seats in a trailer are very sturdy. And the belt must be bolted to something more secure than 1/2" particle board which implies that you'll have to go all the way down to a frame member. And do you want to be belted in when that microwave oven is heading straight toward you?

That's why we went to an extended cab truck. And next time, we might go with a crew cab just so the passengers are more comfortable yet.

Now, just so that you don't think that I'm all high and mighty about this ... we have had passengers in the fiver, a couple of times on the trip from Oklahoma City to Eureka Springs since we had more than three people and an old 3-passenger 1979 F-250. Those curvy switchbacks on U.S. 62 west of Eureka Springs? What were we thinking? Fools, all of us. We've come to our senses and never have done it since.

Dean

2001 Dodge 1500 Quad, SB, 5.9L; 1988 Jayco 2450 Express 5er
Contributing Editor Emeritus, "Q & A" column of the now-deceased "Poptronics" Magazine
(Formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines)

MommaJo

Mossyrock, WA--Yuma, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all know how dangerous riding in campers, TT, 5th wheels is, but I imagine I'm not the only one that remembers how much fun we had riding in the overhead bed of a camper (we're talking about the 50's here) when I was young before we grew up and realized how dangerous it was/is.

Sometimes I still wish for those days before I knew about all the dangers of life when things were so simple.

*This Message was edited on 28-Aug-02 09:29 PM by MommaJo*

osbaldo

bedford, texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/02 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks, Texas DOES NOT ALLOW PEOPLE to ride in Fifth wheel trailers! Call DPS and find out. Also there is some web site also. An RV dealer in Granbury told me it was ok to have people ride in the fifth wheel. Geez. All it takes is a phone call to find out your state laws on this.

O.

http://www.rvsafety.com/Passenger%20Laws.htm

This website lists the states that do and the states that don't.

*This Message was edited on 30-Aug-02 09:51 PM by OSBALDO*

*This Message was edited on 30-Aug-02 09:52 PM by OSBALDO*

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Riding in Fifth wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: