|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Random CO2 and propane alarms

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
serpa4

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/02 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both my alarms go off randomly. Even when its in my driveway with everything off and the windows and doors open. It seems strange that both will, not at the same time, go off at any time. Sometimes after 30 minutes, others at 5-10 hours. Always seems to go off when I sleeping at 3 AM. I hate turning them off, but I need the sleep. What would be causing this? I have the propane off and no one in the trailer.

Sunbird

Lizard Acres, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/02 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't say how old your rig is. I had to replace my propane alarm when it was 4 years old. I have never seen any life expectancy figures on them. I have had some luck with touchy smoke alarms by vacuum cleaning them, but after a while you just have to replace them.

Wheelman

Pleasanton Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/02 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello serpa4!
I have had the same thing happen to me on ocassion, it is always at three in the morning when the alarm goes off. If I run the engine and charge up the batterys the CO2 sensor returns to normal. I think the problem is low battery voltage. The sensor is supposed to close the gas valve and make a warning sound when the voltage drops to 101/2 volts. Test the sensor with a propane lighter, just open the lighter valve and let out some gas near the sensor. If the sensor is ok the warning will sound. This only happens to me after I have been parked for 7 to 8 days while plugged into 110 volts/ 30 amps.

bamnc

Raleigh, NC - 1983 Bluebird Wanderlodge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/02 12:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned low voltage can cause the alarms to go off and age. The life expectency of a LP Gas alarm is about 7 years.

Bruce in Raleigh, NC
FMCA 7142s/ARS: KI4ME/Viet Vet 3rd MarDiv Medic('66-67)
Webmaster Wanderlodge Owners Online
My Web Page

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/02 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the RV is new the carpet and glues they use will set off the alarms at times do to gasses given off by them.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Maduckie

Oshawa ON Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/02 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a previous poster reported that an aged bull dog's favorite bed was in front of their co2 alarm and as a result they had many false alarms LOL

[purple][b]MaDuckie, Hubbie and 15 and 17 year old duckies[/purple][/b] [red]2003 Wildcat 26 FBS TT [/red] [blue]2002 Green Chevy Avalanche 4x4[/blue] 5300 Vortec - 3.73 rear end[/blue] [green]Reese Dual Cams Tekonsha Prodigy[/green]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Mountain Jack

Shangri-La,Mountain in SW OR, above the Gold Creek

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/02 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy, serpa4;

About a week, ago, when connected to shorepower, our Propane Detector sounded alarm. The Wife had an open box of Bounce, fabric softener sheets, by clothes dryer. I moved them away, alarm didn't go off, again. I think, many strong smells will set off these detectors.

By the way, CO2 is Carbon Dioxide. CO is Carbon Monoxide, (POISON GAS). Take Care. Jack...

1989 Pace Arrow 37', Ford 460

Take Care.........Drive Safely...........Grizz Jack..........Happy fishin'.....

"Have You Kissed a Bass, Today?"........

serpa4

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/02 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5er is a 93 wilderness. It will go off on shore or bat power. I know my bats always are fully charged. I would have to assume they are both from 1993. The propane alarm is not one that shuts off the gas flow. It’s a simple 2-wire gismo. I doubt it’s the glue etc since its 9 years old. And it’s not the bats. I guess it could be age, but both going south at the same time? I guess I'll replace the cheaper one first to see if it stops.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Random CO2 and propane alarms
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS