|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda Generator Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
NH_Bob

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/03 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little aditional info:
The only way you should parallel them is if they are cabled up before you start either one. The only way they synchronize is if, after first cabling them, one starts, then the other. This synchronizes their outputs, as far as I know, the Honda EU's are the only gensets in existance that will do this so simply.
It doesn't matter how long you wait to start#2, none of the literature has any advisories in that regard.
Two no-can-do's: Do not start both then cable them. Do not start #1 then cable them and try to start #2.
I've not run them in mismatched eco/non-eco except during the time it takes to switch back and forth; would be interesting to see how the current sharing works in that condition; also have not coupled a EU1K and EU2K to see if there's some more-clever-than-I-expected design feature that allows them to work proportionately (as some have been told). Both tests would be best done at a dealer's shop with his inventory, not yours, IMO.
Every time I think about editing down my overly-long signature-with-links I see some more posts referencing them, so with appologies to those with a 9.6K dialup, here goes:

Bob & Marty Howe Full-time Street People
2002 Cougar 286efs 5er, 2000 F250SD 4x4/sc/sb/V-10, rhino-lined; Valley/Husky 16K slider; Jordan 2020 Ultima b/c; 2 Honda EU2000's; 4 T-105's; TM500A BatteryMonitor; rewiring for 50amp. Now with SUREflo Sensor 5.7 pump. Mobile internet via PCS Vision/Toshiba 2032pocketPC and/or N400

New Drainpipe Setup

Howe's HondaBox (final version)

Prototype (banana) HondaBox

Honda's Pricey Box

Banana vs Walmart Cord: My Polarity Concerns

DuckButt Fix for Bare Connector Concerns

Honda Sound Level Tests

DIY Shore Cable/Receptacle, 30A-50A Rewire

In the Works: Adding Tank Heaters & BellySkin

clifsmith

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/03 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NH_Bob,
great links. you will save me a lot of money in fabricating the dual plug outlet. Thanks to all for the info. I think I am going to go for the twin EU2000i setup. It just makes more power, is more versatile, easier to move around, easier to store. The only drawback I can think of is the fuel capacity. I want the twins to run my AC at night for at least 10 hours without refill. This might require external tank. Anyone run for at least 10 hours in lets say 90 degree heat at sea level?

2002 Outback 28-bhs.
2000 4x4 Ford Excursion Limited Powerstroke Diesel (300hp chipped).
Weekend Campers from Austin, Texas

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/03 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A question for those folks that ask if the gens will run all nite for AC... what kind of camping/campgrounds do you stay at that allow generators to run all nite? Must be a regional thing. If someone tried to run a generator (no matter how quiet) all nite long in a structured campground up here in the NW, he would most likely meet several of his neigbors on very unfriendly terms. AFAIK, all state park and NFS campgrounds have limited generator hours and the campground host WILL come around and tell you to shut down. (I've been visited by them even before 10 PM.) Private campgrounds have juice...soooo... Are y'all out in the boonies by yourselves?

NH_Bob

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/03 12:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yep, self-same bananas. I tried in vain months ago, couldn't even get Pomona to sell 'em so I could wire them up myself. Then saw the other (polarity)issue, and liked the "feel" of the Wal-mart cables.
If color-coded there's no real downside either way you go, in my view.

That said, if I get my 50A-configuration, 220v EU setup to work, it will employ Both bananas and Wal-mart cables.

clifsmith

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We would like to camp on the Padre Island Seashore. You can park your camper on the beach right next to the water with not a sole person in site. However, you need a/c on Texas beaches in the summer. A generator is required to be comfortable in this ideal beach setting. Water is available from spickets along the beach. There are many other places to boondock camp that would make a genset nice.

dward51

McDonough, GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/03 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NH_Bob,

Can you verify the 'standard' honda cables use 4mm shrouded banana plugs (same type as on some of the better DVM's)?

I'm looking to make my own, and wanted to stay with the shrouded design, but wanted to make sure it was 4mm plugs before I ordered some. I have found a source for some 4mm ones rated at 1000v & 20amp (for $3.80 each). I will post it if this is the correct ones.

Thanks....

Dward51

1998 Towlite 24TD, 2002 1500 GMC Sierra, wife, 2 kids & a truck full of telescopes...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Honda Generator Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS