|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Shower Floor Crack

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dix

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/03 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was stumbling around the RV this weekend and noticed a crack in the floor of the shower stall. Never noticed it before. It's about 4-5" long, a gradual arc shape, about the thickness of a 2-razor blades. Any tips, short of replacing the shower, on how to make a lasting repair?
Reply directly to leafman@worldnet.att.net
Thanks
RickL
PS - thanks for the many replies on my 30-50 amp question.

Kajtek1

CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/03 11:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If this is only hair crack and is only on the surface (not thru) - you don't need to worry about it.
If the crack is thru - the recommendation is to replace the pan. It can be repaired with epoxy resin, but it is not going to be very cosmetic.

cmoehle

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/03 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If under warranty, replace, else patch. Thing is, what caused it? I can think of two reasons: 1) Over tightening the shower tub drain, or 2) the shower tub is not seated properly. Avoid 1. If 2, seat it properly before patching or it will crack again.

cdowns1

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/03 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to fix one in my previous fiver (Terry), fiberglass repair kits work just fine. And as fas as asthetics, who will see it besides yourself?

Charlie

06 LBZ 3500 Dually Chevy CC, 4WD, Locking differential, 2005 Carri-Lite 36KSQ. Charlie, Barb and the Boss (Jacque, a spoiled brown poodle) at Blue Spruce RV, Florida, Indiana, New York, Minnesota and who knows then back to Lake Medina, TX for the winter.

craig7h

Marion, Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/03 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had the same problem, my shower stall had a crack running from the drain out about 5 inches. I used a fiber glass repair kit. Sanded the shower floor and applied the glass, it has stayed water tight for many showers. Yes its not pretty, but was not in for replacing.

craig
35' Southwind

dix

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/03 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. I was considering a fiberglass repair kit...just wnated to confirm I was on the right track. Thanks for the info.

VanMan

North Central Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/03 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I repaired a MAJOR crack in our previous TT. Fiberglass resin + matt and cloth. I removed the tub/shower bottom, taped over the crack, then flipped her over and away we went ! probably an overkill but when I fix something, it STAYS fixed !! While out I vacummed up shavings, etc, from the original fabrication, caulked any little places the mfg. should have and installed some roach,ant,mouse deterrent stuff.When reinstalling, I placed a large piece of heavy styrofoam (wood would work but is heavier) under the tub to make it solid, so this would not happen again. Once installed, I removed the tape and touched it up with almond peorcelin repair paint (like for a refrigerator) and you would never even no it had a crack !!

1999 F-250 SD/SC V-10 Lariat
2000 Montana Mountaineer 305FKS
1992 GMC 2500 Conversion Van 350TBI

NeedinPower

Beaver Dam, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/03 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could coat the entire inside of the shower base with an elastomeric compound,like a sealer used on parking decks. It would look nice, outlast the RV, and you can add some non-slip texture grit to make it safe.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MEGA Cab 4x4 CTD
2002 325 Jayco 5vr
Typical loading: Wife/3kids/lots of beer

Shipper

Lower Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/03 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost every town has at least one person who repairs fiberglass and will come to the job. I have had several tub/showers repaired in rental houses that looked like new. If you ever intend to trade units, it will be money well spent. My experiences averaged about $75 a repair. Good luck

GEEZERS love GASSERS
"I'm not insensitive, It's probably that I just don't care!"

clffhnger

Thousand Jokes CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/03 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I was reading this post, that same thing came to mind. I usually pay 50-75 bucks for fiberglass tub/shower crack repairs and my guy does them so you cant see it when its done.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Shower Floor Crack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS