|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> onan 4000 microlite gen set start prob

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
rvbob67

fl,usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/03 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

starter solenoid is chattering and starter not turning engine..measure solid 13.7 volts at solenoid input terminal. changed solenoid and same problem....any same experience? what was repaired?

robert sobol

gene avallon

attleboro,ma.

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/03 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

having a problem on my 4000 almost like yours but no chattering,I had to take the starter out a few weeks ago when it got jamed in the fly wheel,now when I hit the switch it dosent have the power to get the fly wheel turning,if I just click it a few times and try again it starts turning,I think it just cant start when its at TDC,do you have that 13.7 when its trying to start
gene

WA1PQQ

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/03 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you using a ground from the generator to measure the voltage or a chassis ground? I would hook the meter to the generator for a reference, and measure the voltage while trying to start it.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

DaveP

Hudson, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/03 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the electrical connections for the 12 volts to the genset. The problem you described is what will happen with a loose or dirty connection. A volt meter will not show you if you have such a problem unless it is able to record upper and lower peaks. The starter draws a lot of current and needs a strong connection to the battery. Check all connections on the 12volt side and the chassis side. You need strong connections on both sides.

Me, my wife and two very spoiled dogs(mini doxies).
2005 Rialta 22QD (favorite toy)
No toads

Just nice people here to have fun.

rvbob67

fl,usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/03 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

starter solenoid is chattering and starter not turning engine..measure solid 13.7 volts at solenoid input terminal. changed solenoid and same problem....any same experience? what was repaired?

solenoid is not pulling in. generator ground was used to measured as generator is ground strap to chassis.

unfortunately do not have service manual,,,,looks like a trip to cummings/onan as local repair shops dont stock parts and no internet onan part procurement,,camping world used to sell and service onan exclusively..but now have generac instead...those $85 an hour service labor rates are brutal knowing the top tech are lucky to make $20 an hour !!!!!

bw_fencer

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/03 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A step beyond what Davep said - check the power source as well. The Battery terminals could be dirty. Check every connection from the battery to the gen set. Clean any corrosion. Check cable terminals for internal corrosion where wire enters terminal. Repace if suspect. Check voltage at gen set while cranking.

BW
2008 Newmar Essex

onecb

Salt Lake City Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/03 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were mine I would not only check all the connections I would take each one apart and clean them. That is on both sides of the circuit. The positive from the battery to the starter. The ground from the battery to the starter. On my gen there are only four places on each side so cleaning all of them does not take much time. Just my opinion.
Alvin

2007 Surf Side 29A Pressurepro tire pressure monitor System

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> onan 4000 microlite gen set start prob
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS