RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Where do you get Load levelers and Anti-sway?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Where do you get Load levelers and Anti-sway?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
CaboWabo

Osceola, In

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/03 04:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone, We just bought a new TT and really love it! My only gripe about anything so far is that our Dealership's only question to us about ownership was "What are you going to pull it with?" There was little or no advice on hitch set up or even questions on if we had ever pulled a trailer before. My truck, a '96 GMC 3500 pulls the trailer fine but it does seem to be a bit heavy on the hitch. Where do you start looking for a Leveling hitch set up and anti sway set up? If it's the dealership then fine, but I would like to know if anyone has other options.

Thanks!

Jim Dad
Chris Mom
Kyle Son
1996 GMC 3500 Crew Cab
2003 Shasta Oasis 27BH

Wilma&Jim

N.E., Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/03 04:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim,
Here's some web sites you might look at.
Hitch & Sway Control
Hitches For Sale
Reese Products

Jim

Wilma and Jim
2002 F350 Island Blue/Lariat CC/2WD/SRW/LB/V-10/4:30/Prodigy/Reese Dual Cam with 1700# HP Trunnion WD bars/A.R.E. CX Series Topper with Walk In Door, carpeted and a Bed Rug.
Towing a 2003 Cedar Creek 36RLBS TT. 61' Bumper to Bumper

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/03 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dealer or trailer/hitch shop for the hitch. Dealer should have offered to sell and set up the hitch. Some less than knowledgeable dealer will tell you with the 3500 you don't need a weight distributing hitch or sway control. I'd look into a Reese Dual Cam hitch which has the sway control built into the hitch. Otherwise you will need a friction sway control.

Make sure that they set the hitch up correctly and you get all of the instruction sheets for the hitch. When you are correctly hitched, the trailer should be level front to rear and the truc should squat the same amount front and rear. With a 1 ton and this trailer you not see much of a drop. Also the weight distributing bars ahould be parallel to the ground. The hitch head should tilt back toward the trailer about 15 degrees as a starting point.

If you want the best hitch made, look at a Hensley Arrow or a PullRite, both about $2500.00.

Good luck. Since the dealer did not offer a hitch, I'd look elsewhere. I could not trust him to install it and set it up correctly.

KW

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

VEARL

, OKLA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/03 04:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CABOWABO,
MY SETUP WAS PUT ON BY MY DEALER AT TIME OF PURCHASE.
YOU CAN ASK RV DEALERSHIPS IN YOUR AREA FOR INFORMATION ON HITCH SETUPS. EACH SEEMS TO PREFER
WHAT THEY HAVE ON STOCK.
THERE ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF HITCHES AND SWAY CONTROLS. SOME ARE SEPERATE UNITS( I.E FRICTION TYPE SWAY CONTROL AND A WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH). THERE ARE HENSLEY HITCHES AND DUAL CAM HITCHES WHICH CLAIM TO HAVE BUILT IN SWAY CONTROL. I HAVE NOT SEEN THEM, SO I CAN NOT COMMENT ON THEIR PERFORMANCE. YOUR HITCH WEIGHT WOULD DETERMINE WHAT SIZE OF HITCH YOU SHOULD HAVE, 500,750 OR 1000 LB HITCH.
THE RANGE IN PRICES ARE FROM LOW TO HIGH DEPENDING ON WHICH YOU BUY.
MY 24 FT TRAILER DOES OK WITH WITH A HUSKY DIST. HITCH WITH A FRICTION CONTROL.
YOU WILL GET MORE INFORMED AND BETTER INFO. FROM
THIS FORUM. CHECK BACK OFTEN FOR THEIR RESPONSES.
HOPE MY REPLY HAS HELPED.

VEARL & CAROLYN
2000 GMC YUKON 5.3L
2001 WILDERNESS 24J TRAILER
"SNUGGLES" BLIND WONDER DOG
PRODIGY BRAKE CONTROL
"AWNING OUT...BUTT DOWN

SUPPORT CB CHANNEL #13

Roll-em

Deltona, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/03 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim,

Don't overlook the Equal-i-zer hitch in your search. It combines weight distribution and sway control in the same hitch. It works very well and is a reasonably priced as any you'll find.

2007 Winnebago Aspect 26A

erietom

Rittman,Oh.

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/03 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try this site,bought the High Preformance 12,000# also Duel Cam,Shank & Ball @ a great price. http://www.reese-hitches.com/hi_pef_trunnion_bar_wd.htm http://www.reese-hitches.com Not sure how to make clickable,so just CC&P sorry. Hope this helps!

"CAN'T WAIT TILL SPRING"

2001 Excursion Limited6.8L V10 4X4 /4.30
Bank's Trans-Command, Gibson Catback
Amsoil-Crankcase, K&N-FIPK
2003 28' Wildwood LE Superslide
Jordan Brake Controller
Reese HP & Dual Cam
1989 23'Ebbtide 351 I/O
+1Yorkie (Muffin)

@ RAFTER J C.G.2003

JJLJR

Toms River

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/03 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a commercial trailer dealer in your area, do not hesitate to call that outlet for help. In MANY CASES, RV dealers buy the hitches, brakes, wheel bearings, wheel seals, etc., from these oulets. All these folks do is trailers and commecial trailers get a lot more use than vacation TT.

I have such a locla dealer and I go there for any trailer towing or brake/bearing issues.

John L - Toms River, NJ
2003 Savana G2500 8 Passenger Van, 6.0 V8, 3.73 Rear, Factory Tow Pkg - 2007 Sprinter Copper Canyon 2591RBS 27.7' - Reese Dual Cam Sway

Nascar24

Blackstone Valley, Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/03 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi
All the advice you have recieved are all positive ones, the tread that refered you to the hitch classified is the best. You can find plenty to choose from and for good prices. I would recommentd the Pull Rite. I recently switched from a Reese Dual Cam to the Pull Rite system, I used it twice and I am HOOKED! Can't say enough good about it, no more white knuckle work outs. I went with a modified pull rite system because the original design from pull rite left too little ground clearance. All in all I think it is head and shoulders over the Reese Dual Cam.
Good luck to All and Happy Trails

Good Luck and Happy Trails
2002 Dodge 2500 4X4 CC,SRW,CTD
2008 Cross Roads Cruiser XT30SB Cross Force Toy Hauler
Nascar24 A lengend in my own mind, A Scary thought in someone else's!

frankae

Lake Placid, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/03 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my Reese with dualcam sway on line for what I thought was a great price. This company was great to do business with. I ordered the wrong drop draw bar which they exchanged no problems no charge. They were also very helpful with any questions. Very good followup.
http://www.4drawtite.com/

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Where do you get Load levelers and Anti-sway?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS