RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Where is the leak?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Where is the leak?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
TugCamp

Long Beach, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/03 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While setting op at our favorite campground this weekend I noticed that the carpet was wet and discoloring, when I pulled up the plastic runner I had a terrible mildew smell. Some of the folks at the camp ground lent me a couple tent heaters which I used to dry the carpet, with that most of the smell went away. I checked the walls and saw no visible signs of leaking, took the AC cover off and it was dry. On Friday night we got 2” of rain and still was not able to find a leak but the carpet again became damp (not wet like it was). Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for the leak? My trailer is a 1995 Vintage with an aluminum roof, I did an inspection earlier in the year and did find a crack in the rear which I repaired but the rest looked OK. HELP

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
F53 V10
2007 Chaparral 20SSi
Camping wife and 2 boys 11 and 6

Avion Guy

Cleveland, OH USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/03 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your water heater.

Jnbaun

Ridley, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/03 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't really help you with the leak, but I can sympathize. I have a 1987 TT and twice in the last 2 years I have found all of the towels that are stored under the bathroom sink in the rear of the trailer to be wet after a heavy rain. I can't find where it's coming in and it has only happened twice. The closest I can figure is that it will leak if the trailer is left sitting high in the back which changes the way the water flows off of the roof. Water leakes can definitely be frustrating to find. I wish you luck.

John
Wife - Renee and 2 boys ages 17 and 12

LAdams

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/03 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaks can be very difficult and illusive to find some times... Water coming in can take very illusive migratory paths many feet from where the wet spots actually are... There could be a leak in the roof and the water can be running down a rafter and down the wall six or ten feet across the floor from where it actually came in...

The best thing to do is check all vents, windows, hatches and roof seams for integrity... If anything looks like it could or has been leaking repair it... I chased a leak for years in my 1987 Mallard Class C before I finally found it and I "really never found it"... I simply coated the entire roof and it finally stopped...

If possible, you should look at the floor where the water intrusion occured... More than likely there has been damage done here and it should be repaired before dry rot begins...

One of the joys of owning an RV!!!

Best Regards,
Les

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

Chris Herschel

Monmouth County, New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/03 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TugCamp,

I had the same problem and the only soultion is to re seal everything. The roof, sides and check underneith.

Worst case you will spend an afternoon doing the job. If you do not fix the problem now you will be replaceing your floor in the near future.

Also check your floor for soft spots.If you are lucky you will not have any damage yet.

Good Luck,

Chris

1996 20' Coachmen Catalina Lite 198CB
1998 Ford Econoline E150
Club Wagon Chateau 4.6L V8
3.55 Limited Slip Rear
cdgm@att.net

charliec

Marble Falls, Texas,USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/03 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you start calking be sure what you are sealing really needs to be sealed. I had a TT with roof air, and when I got it I very carefully calked every thing on the roof with lots of very good calk. Including calking the AC cover down nice and tight.This caused the fiberglass cover to fill with water every time it rained and then to run down into the trailer after it got to over 1.5 inches deep. I recalked that several times until one day I was sitting on the roof trying to figure where that miserable leak was and looked into the AC cover, saw a small swimming pool on my roof. I pulled off the cover, cleaned off all my calk and carefully calked the inside roof penetrations and put the cover back with no calk. No more leak!(so far)

Boxcar

Westminster, Colorado U.S.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/03 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a job on your hands finding the leak and just maybe this will help you and others with that "mysterious" leak. The floor getting wet is the key to this one. If you have a Thetford toilet try this. Flush the toilet by hand or foot whatever you have and let the water run for just a couple seconds. Let off of the flush and then flush it again. After you have done this place your hand around the back of the toilet and follow the input water line up and see if you feel any water at all. If you do, then you have found the culprit. The vacuum relief valve on the Galaxi or newer model has a small weir dam around the outside edge of the cover of the vacuum relief and by holding the flush lever down a little to long or flushing a second time to soon does not allow the weir dam to drain properly and then flows over the dam, follows the pipe down and eventually to the floor where it can now travel anywhere and in your case to the carpet which acts as a sponge. If you have the AquaMagic IV and you feel water then you have a bad float in the vacuum relief valve. Both types of vacuum relief valve floats are easy to identify and replace. Just a short length of white plastic with a flat rubber washer on the top end. You would be surprised at how may water control valves are sold to unknowing folks who have been told they have a bad valve when only the little float had to be changed. I make it a habit to change the float once a year on the AquaMagic IV when that is the model in the trailer I have at the time. For the Galaxie, there is a simple modification to eliminate the problem completely but would be to long of a post. Hope this helps in your case and also others when they have the "mysterious" leak where water gets on the floor.

*This Message was edited on 06-May-03 09:54 AM by Boxcar*

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Where is the leak?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS