|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Portable Shower Etiquette

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
retiredtraveler

Woodstock Il --- GO HIKING!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/03 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am considering getting a propane shower unit and a shower tent. If I set this up and use it in the campground, am I going to offend other campers?? Yes, I would be dumping graywater on the ground which may be against the rules --- don't know about that either.
Anyone have any thoughts on using a portable, outdoor shower??? Is it possible to do this in a 'regular' campground or do I need to boondock to avoid angering my fellow campers?

Diesel-Lover

SW OH!

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/03 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may be overlooked more often if the CG does not have a plumbed/public shower facility. However with a minor mod one could collect the runoff into one of those portable tanks for dumping. The platform at the bottom will also provide a way to anchor the curtains and reduce the risk of exposure.

Enjoy life, let your guard down it happens.
HONA
(Humble Opinion Not Advice)

CmpFire

Mooresville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/03 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think if it is a campground that doesn't have showers and you can stand in a large pan/tub to catch most of your grey water that it would not be a problem. I would rather someone be clean and happy...than smelly and sad.
It would not bother me at all.
As a matter of fact I have a brand new one of those shower tents that we never used because we upgraded.[emoticon]

Lynda, Ted & the Kids Matt, Will & Miranda
3 Dogs Salsa (Chihuahua) Sally (Pound Pup) & Penny (The Hound Dog)
1999 Aerolite Cub 21Ft
1992 Surburban 3.73 rear end, oil & tranny coolers

Campgropund Host Forum

CMPFIRE's Web Site Too Funny~~!

WTD44

Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/03 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AND WHAT WOULD ONE DO WITH A PAIL OF GREY WATER? Dump it on the ground LOL

'07 H.R. Scepter > P A Q
Cummins 400 ISL
Alison 6 speed World
08 CR-V
Wife and,
Sparky the Wonder Dog

NorCalTim

Lake Oroville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/03 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just one man's opinion, but you mentioned shower tent and that implies I wouldn't be alble to see you so it wouldn't bother me. The grey-water police might use you for something to complain about though. I see lots of people with those little shower things on the side of the camper. Those creep me out a little when you see all this exposed, blindingly white flesh [emoticon]

Tim and Family - R-Ranch Owners / Thousand Trails Members
2008 Sierra F28SPL Toy Haulin' Fifth Wheel
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Quad Laramie-2UH 4x4 SWB w/ Cummins 600 HO
2 Dobermans and a loaded FNH Five-seveN

sierra75142

Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/03 02:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are using National Forest campgrounds I would check with the Rangers first. It has gotten where most rules say "No grey water on the ground". Is this a free standing shower or do you have to tie up to a tree? That would probably be a NO NO, also. If you plan to use private campgrounds forget it. Dept. of Health usually regulates them. Plus most of them will not even let you wash your vehicle much less a portable shower. You could get by with using the outside shower on an RV for just washing off your feet.

All answers are given IMHO, don't take the advice of one person. Do your own research. What works for one person might not be best for another.

3-2-Go

LaSalle County, IL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/03 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a shower tent and we primarily use it for the portapotty. It does tend to draw a lot of comments from other campers as they walk by (is that what I think it is?). We have set it up at state parks and even one private campground, but some private cgs have rules about extra tents on the site and they may not let you set it up. Most realize this isn't for sleeping, but you may run across it.

For showering, whether in a public or a private cg, collect the gray water please. Mostly just so you don't have a big mud puddle surrounding the tent area. We used an inflatable kiddie pool. We tried the rubbermaid tote, but had too much oversplash and were getting our feet dirty anyway.

Once you've collected the gray water dispose of it properly please. We used our paha que and solar shower in National Forests where there were no shower facilities. We collected and disposed of the water according to the rules of the campground. I've been told out west you can and are encouraged to water the bushes where it's dry. Other areas are more restrictive about gray water.

I would personally be uncomfortable showering in the tent at a private campground since we usually are so close to other campers. You can not see in the tent, but still, it would be odd to be taking a shower while the camper next door is talking with his/her family.

1999 Chevy Astro aka The Buggy
2000 Palomino Pinto aka The Little House
Member, Great Lakes Pop Up Club

retiredtraveler

Woodstock Il --- GO HIKING!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/03 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for responses so far.I needed to be a bit more specific. We're talking about staying in national parks and provincial or national parks in Canada where there are NO shower facilities. I guess we'll worry about 'the neighbors' as far as showering while they're next door having dinnner when we get to that point.
Yes, we could collect the gray water and, at least, toss it someplace so we don't have a muddy mess around the PU.
The kiddie pool idea is great ---- never would have occurred to me (no kids). I'll be writing that one down!

No longer RV'ing

birddogrja

Jefferson City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/03 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about one of those rubbermaid containers? You could make a wooden foot stand to keep you out of the runoff and when it's all said and done it would be easy to carry off to the bushes. Then on tear down day put the shower, shower tent and everything else in that container... Off you go!

1986 Jayco MiniMotorhome named "Dude"
AKA "The RV of a thousand fixes"
One wife, 2 kids, and 1 dog
N0TXL
GO ARMY!

B GAGE

9443' high in the Colorado Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/03 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi rancelumsden,

Until recently, my wife and I only tent camped. We purchased a propane shower from Cabela’s that used a stainless steal Hudson Sprayer as the water tank and pump. I think it only holds a couple of gallons of water but is plenty to take a short shower. We used one of the shower tents that was also sold at Cabela’s and hung it inside our tent. For the shower floor, we used a drain pan made for washing machines. They have a flat spot on the side that you drill a hole in and install a fitting that I adapted to hook a garden hose to. All we did was run the hose out the door of the tent to the bushes and took our showers. The amount of water used was not enough for anyone to get excited about.

Bill & Donna

2004 Arctic Fox 22GQ, Loaded
2003 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, 4X4, CTD 5 Speed
2015 Ram 3500 Limited, Crew Cab, CTD, Aisin
2017 Wolfcreek 840, Loaded

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Portable Shower Etiquette
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS