RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Wiring problem - ideas?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wiring problem - ideas?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
GeeWillakers

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/05 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi everyone,

I've almost got my new (very used) campner ready for the road but have discovered another small problem with the wiring. I've heard that Lance uses a differing hookup and thought that someone may recognize the problem and save me a lot of tracing time.

Here's the problem. The fuse for my parking lights keeps blowing when the camper is plugged in (whether or not the camper battery is hooked up). Brake and signal lights are working but the running lights aren't working so I'm thinking I've got a short somewhere. But maybe something wasn't wired right. Has anyone experienced this fuse blowing?

Sure appreciate help. Want to get using this thing.

2007 Triple-E Commander A3202fB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Boston and a Frenchie

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/05 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is how my '96 Lance came from the factory.

Holding the plug on the camper, looking into the female terminals, with the plug "notch" at 12 o'clock:
1:00 = not used
3:00 = right turn
5:00 = left turn
7:00 = positive 12 volt (+ battery)
9:00 = back-up
11:00 = running lights (parking lights)
center = negative 12 volt (ground)

Or:

RL NU

BU -12V RT

+12V LT

So the plug in the truck bed is the mirror image.
Holding the truck bed plug, looking at the male terminals, with the plug "notch" at 12 o'clock:
1:00 = green (14 ga) - running lights (parking lights)
3:00 = yellow (16 ga) - back-up
5:00 = black (10 ga) - positive 12 volt (+ battery)
7:00 = red (16 ga) - left turn
9:00 = brown (16 ga) - right turn
11:00 = not used
center = white (10 ga) - negative 12 volt (ground)

Or:

NU RL

RT -12V BU

LT +12V

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

Uxorious

Auburn Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/05 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I sure hope your problem isn't the same as mine was. When I first bought this camper, every time I would turn on the lights the fuse between the truck and camper would blow.
After many frustrating hours of searching I found a screw had been run into a wire shorting it out.
When we bought the camper, the people had just had the roof resealed. The place that resealed it put a new cap on one of the plumbing vents on the roof, and had run the screw into the wire.
If you have added any new stuff to your camper, you might want to check to see that you haven't done the same.

roadranger

Colorado Springs, Colo

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/05 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check ALL of your marker lights and tail lights for broken bulbs, broken sockets, corrosion, and broken wires. The marker lights take a beating from tree limbs etc. and can short out. They also leak rainwater quite a bit, so the sockets corrode also. Good idea to seal the lenses up with silicon when you put them back together.

Best bet would be to get inside the cabinet that the camper plug goes into, identify which wire is for the camper parking lights, then see if it splits or has a terminal strip nearby to feed front or rear lights, or left or right side. Take the split apart, and touch one wire at a time to the feed wire to see which leg has the short in it. That will narrow down your search somewhat...

Good luck! Electrical gremlins are a pain in the ...

GeeWillakers

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/05 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the great tips. That wiring diagram is wildly different from the standard trailering 7-pole plug. I had a shop wire this up and since everything is running except the running lights, they must have adapted the wiring to suit the camper. Also, some running lights were working before I replaced a few while resealing everything. I did replace the rear driver side jack but was very careful not to touch the wiring harness which passes through near there.

I will check the split, and also the running lights. Thanks again everyone.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/05 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

iawia wrote:

That wiring diagram is wildly different from the standard trailering 7-pole plug. .

Yes, it is completely different.

vanbikehorse

Green Lane, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/05 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Woa Brad, that's ugly. Just the fact that the ground's on a terminal that is normally backup makes me shudder. If you can't count on Ground, things could go pretty crazy!

PS - Lucky they have a different plug to make you think.

2005 Chevy 2500HD SB X-CAB,4X4,G-80,D/A,ALCOA Wls,265/75R16E, Air Lift Sure Set, SuperSprings, RS9000x, Curt 14108.
2003 Alpenlite Laramie w/X CAB & Polar Cub A/C, Happijac FM, EU-2000.
2000 Brenderup Baron TC Horse Tailer
1996 Arab Endurance Race Horse

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/05 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

Here is a little better image of the plug on my Lance camper.

[image]
Lance plug in truck bed.

* This post was last edited 03/06/06 05:58pm by BradW *   View edit history

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/05 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vanbikehorse wrote:

Woa Brad, that's ugly. Just the fact that the ground's on a terminal that is normally backup makes me shudder. If you can't count on Ground, things could go pretty crazy!

PS - Lucky they have a different plug to make you think.

The only reason I can think of for Lance to use this special plug instead of a normal 7-pin RV plug is they get to sell you the $50 bed plug that matches up to it. I really think that it is high time for Lance to do their customers a favor and start using the standard 7-pin plug.

GhostZero

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/07 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

The only reason I can think of for Lance to use this special plug instead of a normal 7-pin RV plug is they get to sell you the $50 bed plug that matches up to it. I really think that it is high time for Lance to do their customers a favor and start using the standard 7-pin plug.

Not to bring up a dead topic, but...

My Lance dealer charged me $185 to install the "standard Lance" plug into my bed. Of course the previous owner of my Lance 480 had long ago removed that plug and did his own thing. He used an extension back to the trailer connection on the back of the truck with a couple of "standard" six pin connectors on the way.

So I'm not using the plug installed in the bed at all, which kind of irritates me. After a recent long trip to Utah I've decided to get rid of all the previous owners junk and set things right. I'd love to replace the jack in the truck with a 7 pin connector (as I have all the hardware to do the install and would rather not pay lance $50 for a cable) but the installer left about 3 inches of play, and the jack is obviously pre-molded. I'm reluctant to cut it off. Has anyone used a 7-way standard plug in the bed, and had any success/failure with respect to clearance, etc?

--
GhostZero: KC0YDD
The Battle Truck Galactica: 2006 Dodge CTD 4x4 6spd
Helwig sway bar/Rancho 9000rx shocks/
Air Ride bags/Air Ride Sureset/Westach gauges/AFE stage 2 intake
Bluetooth GPS/Sirius/XM/ipod/2-meter/Ricksons 19.5s
1992 Lance 480: Stable Lift

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wiring problem - ideas?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS