|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> overloads

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
the trippers

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/06 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
I have a question, does anybody use Timbrens on their truck as overloads? If so, could you tell me how well they work.
Steve

2018 Tiffin Allegro 32SA

HoodCanalNorth

Brinnon,Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/06 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just installed and used for the first time. Seem to work real well. Got them on line from a place called "Anything truck". $150.00 and they paided the shipping.

TCing since 1970. 1997 Ford F150 SC 4x4. 2004 Lance 815. E range tires,Rancho 9000 shocks,Timbren overloads.

Guffster

Wedowee, AL

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 02:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the trippers wrote:

Hi,
I have a question, does anybody use Timbrens on their truck as overloads? If so, could you tell me how well they work.
Steve

I use them on the rear only of my F-350. Mainly, to level the truck after loading the camper. They work great and are pretty easy to install once you are able to remove your original bump stops.

The ride of the truck unloaded is generally the same as before, however when you hit a speed bump you can feel a solid thump where they hit.

I am very happy with them.

2002 Ford F-350 PSD 7.3L SRW 4WD CC LB
1993 Lance 880
Torklifts, Timbrens, Hellwig Rear Swaybar, Rancho 9000's, Interstate House Battery. IntelliPower PD9245C (built-in Charge Wizard) Converter. Kipor Sinemaster 3000TI.
See our website for more

Ibeme

Surrey, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Guffster said about speed bumps. We are happy with our Timbrens. On our truck it was undo one nut, take off bumpstop, replace with Timbren and tighten nut. Repeat for other side. Your mileage may vary.

merlin

Merlin, Dianne & Chimo
2001 F150 SCSB 4x4 etc.
Palomino 1250SB
Islander, Concours

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put them on both my trucks to limit sag when the campers is loaded. Also, helps limit sway when off-roading. I'd do it again in a hot minute. Much better than air-bags with the maintenance and adjustments, but serve a slightly different purpose. They work very well. Same as stock ride when unloaded, but I agree with above posters -- a stiff "bump" if you hit large potholes, but not enough to make me use anything else.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & JAX Fla
GMC 2500 4x4 Sierra X-Cab
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
2002 Angler 8B
Back-country camping fanatic

the trippers

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/06 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do they work as well as airbags? Should I add a sway bar as well as the timbrens? I am looking for less sway and roll. they wife won't drive it right now! She is worried about it tipping over![emoticon]
Steve

Berticus

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed mine when I got my 'new to me' 2000 f350. Same as above in all and in regards to your referance to sway bar; I do know that when I added the timbrens I saw a huge diffence in sway control. Now my f350 came with the stock sway bar in the rear. I am surprised that your HD 3/4 does not include a rear sway bar. But you can try the timrens 1st and see if they are good for your setup & sway. If not they add the sway bar later. Just my opinion.

The Setup:
96' Serro Scotty 25'Dodge,4x4,Diesel,Class-C, 86 20' Chris Craft LTD.

HoodCanalNorth

Brinnon,Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rancho 9000's got rid of most of my sway. Also load range E tires got rid of sidewall flex. DW is now willing to try driving and I'm willing to let her!

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

QUOTE: But you can try the timrens 1st and see if they are good for your setup & sway. If not they add the sway bar later. Just my opinion."

I agree. Check first and add a sway bar if you sitll get sway. I had Timbrens first on my 1500 GMC, but still got sway and a little sag, but Timbrens helped alot. With my 2500 GMC, very little sway, rights itself quickly, and virtually no sag. Timbrens engage at one inch, and and my rear end drops about an inch and a half loaded -- camper weighs 2190 wet and loaded.

3+tons ain't pc

northern, ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timbrens are well worth their cost. Mine work great and I would easily choose to go this route having to do it again. They also greatly reduce sway. However, the first set that the dealer installed caused my truck to ride stiff when EMPTY, but otherwise excellent overall when loaded-up with the TC. I called trucksprings.com and found that the dealer had installed the wrong set (insufficient clearances). You need to have 3/4" to 1" clearance between the axle and timbren when unloaded for them to work properly. Once having installed the correct set, no more stiff ride problems (over stock 2500HD)! They work exactly as advertised. No need for any other co$tly upgrades. No morning after sickness!

2007 Dodge 3500 DRW,4x4,L/bed,Q/cab,6.7 diesel w/exhst brake,6 spd. auto,4:10,Timbrens, 2005 Citation 9-6 T/C, 1 keeper wife,1 son, 1 yellow lab, 2 quad polaris atv's & trailer,extreme lust for freedom & self accountibility, neither low output or income.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> overloads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS