RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Ray's Popup Projects: Mini Air Conditioner

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ray's Popup Projects: Mini Air Conditioner

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rlchenry

Wake Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the warm weather over the past two weeks really got me working!!!!!

Well, after the thread a while back on mini air conditioners and my promise to have pictures of my install - here they are, albeit a bit late.

For those who have not read the thread, I purchased the smallest "window" unit I could find for $89. from Sears. It was a far cry from the $700-$800 rooftop units. I had planned to put the unit sticking out into the rear compartment behind the wheel well.

First I cut into the side of the footwell insuring I was behind the wheelwell (measured it EIGHT times!). I left about 3" of footwell space at the bottom so "toes" could go under it for standing next to the sink.

Since there was little or no support there, I epoxied some framing (1-1/2" x 3/4") to both the inner and outer skins.

[image]

The opening was 1/8 to 1/4 inch larger than the overal dimensions of the unit.

It fit like a glove (luckily!).

[image]

[image]

Outside, I cut some small aluminum brackets and surrounded the sides of the air conditioner with them. I also put some snaps on the four corners for a cover.

[image]

It doesn't look too bad sticking out there, does it?

[image]

Then came the BIG test ---- put it on the truck!

It actually fit!

[image]

It looks like it will have enough ventilation both from the sides for intake, and out the back for the exhaust. Of course I will have to leave the little door open for the best air circulation. The condensate drain is the little black plastic barb sticking out the back. I think I will just let it drain into the bed of the truck for now.

[image]

My particular camper model only has a 44" floor width. This allows me to shift the camper over an inch or two to allow for even more clearance.

There are several things I really like about this unit.

1) It blows the cool air up on the inside of the camper - this worked well for our floor-level installation.

2) It sticks inside the wall quite a bit (bad), but this allows for a) less protrusion outside (good) and b) a nice 50/50 load on the wall where most of the weight is straight down instead of "pulling" out (good).

3) It is VERY low power. As you can see on the label, only 530 Watts!!! (except for startup). The little Honda should be able to handle this with EASE!!

[image]

So with that, I am waiting for summer so I can try it out!!!!

P.S. - would it be too excessive to buy another unit and store it away for when (not if) this one goes south? That way I won't have to cut a different sized hole and make a bunch of changes. Also, if I buy another one, this one will NEVER break, will it?

* This post was edited 03/05/06 03:52pm by rlchenry *

Sunlite Eagle SB
'04 Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4x4
Ray's Truck Camper Page

Neverhappy

Europe

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great pics & idea, thanks. You can buy a third one and send it over to Europe, I will never find such a cool unit here.

Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACs can last for years don't know if its worth it to get a spare or not.looks good thou,

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

Mooney

Santa Barbara, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/06 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great looking install . . . was there a reason you didn't want it on the roof?

'08 Ford F550, Lariat, Link Air Suspension, Roll-A-Long Conversion, Twin Turbo 6.4, TorkLifts, SuperHitch, "Monster Duty Truckasaurus"
'09 Host Everest, Dual Pane, AM Solar, Link 1000,Prosine2.0,Tank Htrs,Honda EV4010,HD Motosat,Wave 6.

oktrailrider

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, was this ever timely. I also purchased a small window unit from Lowes for my camper (last year!) However, I don't have anyone to help me install it. What did you cut into your camper with? I bought a bracket from Lowes too to help support the unit. I was going to try and put mine on the back (where the little window is on my camper) but it will be very tight too. Thanks so much for sharing! I would love step by step instructions. I am pretty scared to cut into mine too. Hubby is not handy at all and so I will be on my own for this project.

Terri
Cuervo - Missouri Fox Trotter
Boogie - Missouri Fox Trotter
92 Sun-lite Pop Up Truck Camper
97 3/4 ton diesel chevy
00 W&W 2 Horse Slant Trailer

MontanaBighorn

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it sure looks better than i thought it would from the description. if i may make one unsolicited suggestion, i recommend that you channel the exhaust (or at least put up sheet metal barriers) to prevent recycling the same air over the condensor, particularly on the intake closest to the cab of your truck. im sure what you have would work, but using cooler (non-circulated) air over the condensor will make it work better.

as for buying an additional unit, prices will only continue to climb. r22 is being phased out in just a few years, and 410a equipment is much more expensive. ive spent more than $89 on dinner, and it turned to******in a day. :-) it wont hurt a thing to have an additional unit on hand, and will be much cheaper than trying to replace it with a 410a model down the road.

Nathan in Montana
InlineDiesel.com UtilityOffRoad.com ConcealedCarryForum.com
1911Talk.com HiPowerTalk.com GlockCarry.com

3+tons ain't pc

northern, ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should submit this great DIY project to Popular Mechanics...we just might see it published!

2007 Dodge 3500 DRW,4x4,L/bed,Q/cab,6.7 diesel w/exhst brake,6 spd. auto,4:10,Timbrens, 2005 Citation 9-6 T/C, 1 keeper wife,1 son, 1 yellow lab, 2 quad polaris atv's & trailer,extreme lust for freedom & self accountibility, neither low output or income.

stgrlee

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Job, I like your idea and set up...

Lee

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Big Horn 4X4, Short Box, CTD 610, 6 speed G56
2002 Six Pac SC 150. (8' 6")
Honda EU2000i generator
Tork Lifts with Fast Gun Derringers

Don't look back, 'cause something might be gaining on you!!!

Hey there

Pendergrass, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlchenry, Hi! As we say in the south: "you done good!"

2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CC LB 6.0
1993 Lance Squire Lite 150 (8'6")
2001 Fleetwood Caribou 11J (11'6")

rlchenry

Wake Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/06 04:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mooney wrote:

Great looking install . . . was there a reason you didn't want it on the roof?

Cost and weight. Cost is obvious.

Weight was because a) it is a pop up, and b) I plan to carry some kayaks, etc. up there and did't want an additional 100lbs or so on top.

Plus I get to keep the vent!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ray's Popup Projects: Mini Air Conditioner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.