|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rays Popup Projects: Roof Rack and Kayak Roller

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rlchenry

Wake Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I promise, this is the last one. I am chewing up WAAAAY too much bandwidth now.

I struggled like I have read a lot of you have about how to do a roof rack. The big problem is finding one that can span 7ft. The ones I could find were ladder racks that were either too expensive, or needed gutters, or tracks, or.....

I found a really nice aluminum rack component system that sold 7ft bars and some fixed mounts. A pair of bars and four mounts was only $130.00!

I didn't want holes in my roof, so I used some mambo (3/16" thick) aluminum angle I had from an old trailer project, and cut it into 3" sections. I mounted each of these to the SIDE of the top (which had nice 3/4" x 3" beams, BTW).

[image]

I mounted the roof rack's fixed mounts to the top of the aluminum angles.

[image]

At first, I was worried about the span of the rack's beams, but when I received them, I found that they were very nice and heavy. They were channelized and very strong. They should have no problem carrying a couple of kayaks out near the ends. They also have that nice slot in the top so you can use a bolt head/washer and make your own slide-in accessories. You can see the slot in the beam proile below:

[image]

Next, I needed a way to get our kayaks up there a little easier. Being a "boat guy", I naturally gravitated towards the marine store. Used a trailer bracket and a 12" keel roller and mounted it to the back of the roof (on the side only again).

[image]

The theory is that I will stand the kayak up against the roller, climb onto the roof (with my yet-to-be-installed marine fold-down steps), and pull the bow up and forward while a helper pushes from the bottom.

It should tilt onto the back bar and then all the way down onto both bars. Finally, it would be slid around on both bars to the desired position.

[image]

As a permanent mount, its a bit on the ugly side, but functionality won out on this one!

Sunlite Eagle SB
'04 Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4x4
Ray's Truck Camper Page

CptnBG

Salem and Smith Mtn Lake, Va

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not ugly at all!! The roller is a nice touch. Is that a Thule rack? Great job and presentation!

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

rlchenry

Wake Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are from a company called Surco. I got them here: http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_sp.aspx?p_id=2317

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ray! You be the man. We need more "wizards" on this forum like you. Like your ideas, bring 'em on!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Guffster

Wedowee, AL

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/06 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, really looks great! You have definitely been busy lately working on these projects. Just what I need to see to get motivated to kick it up a notch on my "TC To-Do List". Thanks for the great info.

2002 Ford F-350 PSD 7.3L SRW 4WD CC LB
1993 Lance 880
Torklifts, Timbrens, Hellwig Rear Swaybar, Rancho 9000's, Interstate House Battery. IntelliPower PD9245C (built-in Charge Wizard) Converter. Kipor Sinemaster 3000TI.
See our website for more

rlchenry

Wake Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/06 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guffster wrote:

Wow, really looks great! You have definitely been busy lately working on these projects. Just what I need to see to get motivated to kick it up a notch on my "TC To-Do List". Thanks for the great info.

Thanks! - can you tell I need something else to do? Like go CAMPING maybe?

NetBoy

Portland, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/06 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A well-designed project! You are right-on bolting into your 1x3 top frame rail (lots of strength there) rather than trying to support it off the roof itself. Two kayaks will not even begin to tax that rack and support. And what do you mean ugly? No way man -- form follows function, and something that functions beautifully is a thing of beauty (says me at least).

Keep burning up that bandwidth and posting these great projects!

Best wishes.....

NETBOYâ„¢
---
Visit Netboy's Camper Project's Page = Lots of mod projects to my truck and camper.

My newest rig -- 2004 Thor Chateau 21RB:

mgwood

Keizer, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/06 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a site of beauty and a heck of a lot less than I just spent ($2400) for the sportsrig, which is being built in Calif as we speak with a few modifications. I tried hard to figure out how to transport our two 12 ft kayacks; after having our Kayack hauler (Ford Explorer) break down in the Cascade Lakes last summer and I had to put both kayacks inside my Lance 880. I didn't think it was possilbe but they both fit. Wouldn't want to travel around like that though. Would have gone with your idea, which is great, but we have way to many vent covers on top of the camper to clear and still be able to get under things while on the road. Great job. The people on this forum are always impressing the heck out of me with their ingenuity.

1993 Ford F250 4X4 XLT with Banks Power system/1993 Lance 880 with all the goodies/a great partner/and The princess, our Golden Retriever

rlchenry

Wake Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/06 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942 wrote:

"OK, I promise, this is the last one. I am chewing up WAAAAY too much bandwidth now."

NO- not the last one! Efforts like yours make this site all the more enjoyable. It motivates others-even if they might not be able or choose to do the work-it gives them ideas on possbilities for simular projects. Or at least options.
Being a tinker an piddler myself Ive been also following your projects and have enjoyed your handiwork.
But I do have 2 comments.
1st-On the battery situation-my assumption is thers a top for the battery box thats just not in the pic. If so couldnt some kind of snorkel be fabbed for air exchange. I noted some electrical equip in the cabinet-sparks an fumes. Ive blown a battery up before, not fun.
Plus to help with heat.
2nd Have you thought about putting up a web page with all the information you shared here? Im sure others down the road might find your solutions/projects helpful-especially to pop-up folks.
Mark

Thanks, Mark, for the kind words....

I think I'll go with AGM instead of venting (which might not have been able to just be passive). I have to get bigger battery(ies) anyway. As I said in another thread, my charging system is pretty weak (max 20A or so), so I don't anticipate any gassing with AGMs.

I am up to my neck in "stuff" right now, but will put a web page up soon.

Thanks again,
Ray

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/06 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"OK, I promise, this is the last one. I am chewing up WAAAAY too much bandwidth now."

NO- not the last one! Efforts like yours make this site all the more enjoyable. It motivates others-even if they might not be able or choose to do the work-it gives them ideas on possbilities for simular projects. Or at least options.
Being a tinker an piddler myself Ive been also following your projects and have enjoyed your handiwork.
But I do have 2 comments.
1st-On the battery situation-my assumption is thers a top for the battery box thats just not in the pic. If so couldnt some kind of snorkel be fabbed for air exchange. I noted some electrical equip in the cabinet-sparks an fumes. Ive blown a battery up before, not fun.
Plus to help with heat.
2nd Have you thought about putting up a web page with all the information you shared here? Im sure others down the road might find your solutions/projects helpful-especially to pop-up folks.
Mark

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rays Popup Projects: Roof Rack and Kayak Roller
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.