RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Dealing with airing down/up rear dually tires...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dealing with airing down/up rear dually tires...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
F350OilBurner

Central MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/06 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm doing some research on the best way to handle airing down/up the rear dual tires. I've searched both here and on the rest of the Internet with Google. There doesn't seem to be any one great solution and only a few marginal ones. I'm planning on doing some beach camping this year, so it could be a near weekly event. I need something that makes this task simple and relatively quick.

I'm aware that there are truck tire pressure gauges and chucks with the reverse facing heads for inner and outer tires. That doesn't really help with airing down. It also seems like a tedious way to have to air up.

I know that it's possible to get longer straight valve stems for the inners and 135 degree stems for the outers. That requires actually having the tires dismounted, breaking the beads and replacing the valve stems. This seems like the most fool proof way to go. Also the most expensive.

There are also valve stem extenders in brass, steel, rubber or steel braided hose. All of these seem to have some drawbacks and appear to be prone to leaking and/or failure. The only ones I would consider would be all steel.

My questions are to those of you who own DRW trucks and particularly those of you who go on the beach.

What do you do to deal with this problem of reaching the valve stems?

Also, do any of you use any of the various tire deflators available? (The ones that screw on the end of the valve stem.)

If so, which ones and are they any good?

2006 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW
6.0 PSD w/TorqShift 4x4 4.10LSD
Airlift Airbags/SureSet Controller - Timbrens

2007 Lance 1181 - All the Options
Torklift Superhitch/Tiedowns/Fastguns

SteveB

Rhode Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/06 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping World carries the Zero Pressure valve stem extenders. They have a cable inside that presses on the real valve stem so, in the event of a break in the extender, there would be no pressure loss in the tire. I don't do the beach thing and I have the double headed tire gauge and air chuck so I have no need for the extenders. But, if I did, I'd go with these.
Link Here

SteveB

2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy
'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

DayOff

Bowling Green, FL / On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/06 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the tires taken off and the good extenders put on the inside rims. I looked at the do it yourself kits at NAPA etc but did not like the looks of that solution.
As for airing the tires down, I had an old two headed air chuck for reading the tire pressure but it was no longer functioning. I took the head off of it and now I have a little gismo that fits on the valve stem and has great air flow for airing the tires down.

Jim and Karen
2014 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC PSD DRW LB
2015 Open Range 3X 5th Wheel

Dirtydude

WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/06 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This what you need if your concerned about your duallys

http://www.dualdynamics.com/crossfires/index.shtml
http://www.dualdynamics.com/crossfires/part_numbers.shtml

I'm not really reccomending "crossfire" per say, but some system like that. Some of them come with guages others just indicators. This system uses color indicators, black means underinflated, red over inflated yellow is good. You order it for the tire pressure you want. If one tire has a blowout the unit goes to black and blocks the air from going from the good tire to the bad tire. And it gives you an easy to access single inflation point.

Camp, Forrest, Camp!

Boise, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/06 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know you don't want to pull off your tires, but after a few years of trying other ideas I went with the entended valves installed through the rim. I went with extended vs. bent because I wanted to easily rotate my tires. I picked a length (2.5" I think) that worked moderately well for the inner and outer with the chuck I have. I air down/up when I load/unload my camper, so I go through this about a dozen times a year. My chuck has a built-in gauge and a button which will drain air. It is somewhat slow, but it gets the job done. To re-inflate the tires, I put a Schrader-valve fitting on the end of my chuck that will hold onto the chuck from most gas stations.

-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Matthew_B

The boonies near Dallas, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/06 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my case, I'm not airing them down for sand driving, just down to 35 PSI for empty driving if I'm not going to pull or haul weight for a while. It really helps the ride, particularly if I don't have the truck cap on. Here is what I did to help:
I took a tire inflator like one of these:
[image]
I bought it at a local auto parts store.
At the tire connection of the inflator I added a T and put a second hose on. I discarded the existing chuck and added this to one hose:
[image]
and this to the other hose:
[image]
They both lock onto the valve stem and stay put until released. I bought them both from tireproducts.com. Both chucks are CLOSED chucks meaning that they hold air when not hooked to a valve stem. Inflators normally come with OPEN chucks that vent when not connected to a valve stem. By using the closed chucks, I can have one connected and the other chuck won't dump the air.
I put on a quick connect on at the inlet. If it is connected to my air line, it works as an inflator. With the quick connect not hooked to anything, hitting the inflator handle will dump air from the tires. It's convenient that I can dump air and at any time I can check the air pressure by letting go of the valve and the built in gauge gives me the pressure.
I can connect to my inside dual using the straight chuck and connect to the outside dual with the angled chuck. I fill or vent both dual tires at the same time. This way I know they are EXACTLY the same pressure. My front tires have the 135° valve stems so the straight on chuck works best. For my other vehicles, I use the angled chuck.
Matthew

Silverado Kid

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/06 02:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not trying to hijack your thread, but I notice someone mentioned "Crossfire" above. Does anyone have any negative or postive experiances? It seems like a good idea. As long as it can close the good tire in a blow out.

Chuck Coughlin
"> "ON THE ROAD AGAIN"

2003 Silverado 3500 Ext Cab Dually Duramax/Allison
2003 Lance 1025
Air Bags and Rancho 9000X Shocks

Our Trips

joec

Salem and Lakeview Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/06 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if this will work for your application but this is what we use in the shops for checking the dual tires on our trucks. I also use this at home and on the road.

Dual Head Lock Tire Air Chuck

This makes it easy to get at the valve stem no matter what direction that they are pointed.

Well almost any direction[emoticon]

2006 F-350 PSD DRW - 2004 Eagle Cap 950 - Rancho 9000s - Ride Rites and "> "Homemade Super Bump Stops" ">

F350OilBurner

Central MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/06 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No hijack Chuck, I'd like to know that as well. It seems like a sophisticated version of the tire equalization devices I've run across. The ones that basically give you two flats if one leaks.

I'm going to have to give further thought to Matthew_B's solution. It sounds interesting but I haven't quite got it figured out yet. I must be a little slow on the uptake this morning.

Thanks for the ideas guys and please keep them coming. Right now I'm leaning toward having different valve stems installed. I probably should have mentioned I have 17" aluminum wheels with steel wheels on the inner rear duals. I am probably not going to rotate them.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/06 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm following this thread also. I hate to say it, but I haven't even check the air in my tires yet at 600 miles. I looked for the inner tire valve once and couldn't even see it.

I like Mathew_B's idea. I also like the idea of the permanent extenders installed in the rim.

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dealing with airing down/up rear dually tires...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS