|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper Back Up Camera Installation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
BlueBehemoth

washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, let's see we can recover after the penalty for a false start.

Hello All. We've been lurking on this forum since we got out truck & camper combo a little over a year ago. We are new to official RVing as this is our first Real RV. It's a 1998 Dodge 3500 (one ton dually), Quad Cab,CTD, auto trans with pretty much everything on it. The camper is a 1995 Northland, 10.5 foot with generator and AC. We also tow a boat or a car trailer.

Our problem is the lack of visibility around and behind the camper. We don't feel comfortable towing with CIPA clip-on mirror extensions and the fish-eye plastic lens on the camper door is no help. A better solution was required. Lurking on this forum gave us the idea of a backup camera system and a place to get one.

The system is from RVCAMS.COM and is the Obserview Color Backup Camera with 7 inch color LCD monitor, Audio and IR night vision. I added an additional 25 foot camera cable for the camper, a trailer wiring kit (to connect camper to the truck) and a panavise windshield mount for the monitor.

Tools: In addition to the usual drill bits, drivers, etc., I used a .5 inch ship auger to bore a hole through the back of the camper for the camera pigtail, a 1.25 inch hole saw for the trailer wiring kit sockets, 4 feet of stiff wire for phishing the camera cable through the camper and good boat caulk to seal the holes.

[image]

We mounted the camera between the rear marker lights using a 6 inch length a aluminum 4 inch angle stock trimmed to fit. Holes for mounting hardware are drilled in the bracket as well as .5 inch holes for the camera cable (the camera includes a 3 foot pigtail sealed to the camera). The ship auger is over a foot long and easily bored through the siding and the wood in the overhang to the inside wall. Finish this hole from the inside to avoid tearout in the paneling. All holes are sealed and filled with boat caulking.

[image]

[image]

This is the only place the camera cable is exposed inside the camper. The pigtail from the camera is connected to the 25 foot cable here along the bathroom wall before it goes into the plumbing wall. We used clam shell ventilators (available from marine hardware suppliers) to cover the holes.

[image]

Ran the cable down inside the plumbing wall, behind and under the furnace, stove, water heater, sink, etc. At the power panel the cable dropped through an existing hole to get to the lower wall next to the water tank.

[image]

[image]

Installed the trailer kit socket just below the camper cable and the greywater tank.

[image]

Fortunately, the truck already had a second hole cut inside the box so I used it for the other socket from the trailer kit.

From here the business end of the camera cable was routed as needed to get inside the cab. I used an existing boot in the firewall to route the cable. The extra mile of cable is coiled up and stored between the walls of the pickup box. I should have got two 25 foot cables instead of the 65 footer that came with the system.

[image]

Here is the setup in the cab. I originally mounted the monitor up high over the rear view mirror. Looked really cool, but as anyone with old eyes and bifocals will tell you, NOT a good place for the monitor. I have it mounted here until I can find a mount to lower it another 3 inches or so. Slightly covering the vents will do.

This system works great. the field of view is extremely wide so it is easy to see traffic approaching and moving around the tow. Because of the wide view, you can practically only see things 4-6 road stripes back. Cars get really small past that.

The only thing I don't like about the system is a consequence of something I really do like about it. The system is setup to turn on automatically when the vehicle is put in gear. Once in this auto mode, no monitor adjustments can be made. This peculiarity manifests itself when day turns to night. On bright sunny days I turn the brightness way up to see clearly while wearing sunglasses. If I don't stop the rig and readjust the monitor before dark, it's waaaaaaay toooo bright for the cab. I never thought night vision could be so blinding.

On the plus side, no lighting is necessary to back into any campsite at night. If the wife needs to issue backing instruction, she just talks to the camera and I hear it clearly in the cab. Very cool.

Well there it is - one couples experience with the wonders of using rv.net for putting good ideas into practice.

So long for now.

* This post was last edited 04/08/06 02:23pm by BlueBehemoth *   View edit history

CTD

Stockton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it just me or none or the pictures came through?

2012 Roadtrek Agile

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BlueBehemoth,

I think your are linking to the wrong photo address. I fixed the first one for you.

Pull up the photo you want on your monitor, right click on the photo, then hit properties and then copy the address.

Good luck,
Brad

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a great job and I am eager to see the photos.

I can't see the one BradW fixed either.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spott wrote:

I can't see the one BradW fixed either.

It may be that Yahoo does not allow active lines to the photos they host.

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/44298513z........36e/3fdf/__sr_/5bb8.jpg?phYo9NEB2BMjenGi

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

BlueBehemoth

washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello again.

Obviously, we're dealing with a rookie newbie here. Probably bite off more than he could chew for a first post. Is further handicapped by using a Mac instead of a MicroSquish unit. Features on the mouse "right click" not the same. Probably needs to check Yahoo and be sure the photo album is available for public viewing as well.

Rookie newbie deal with this and get the post correct in between doing the taxes today. Wish me luck.

Sig Line: will work on this after I learn how to post pictures and the taxes are done.

DanRoy

DEN CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OUCH!

Handicapped by using a MAC?

phthtttt[emoticon]

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good photo post help here.

Neverhappy

Europe

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forget the taxes, I want to see the pics real bad... I backed into a pole & broke the ladder although I have a camera back there & a monitor but can't get the setup to work!

Ron

Y2K Silverado Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
Chinook Concourse Y2K V10 (Europe)
Roadtrek 190 popular Chevy (USA)
Great West Vans class C 94 (only 4 made)

BlueBehemoth

washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/08/06 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, I may have this figured out - Yahoo BAD, PhotoBucket GOOD. Am attempting a repost as soon as I can squeeze a few more bucks out of the US Treasury.

P.S. I love my Mac. Compensating for a MicroSquish operated world can be challenging at times.

BB (short for BlueBehemoth)

Sig Line - still working on it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Camper Back Up Camera Installation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS