RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Rancho 9000s' not worth the money!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rancho 9000s' not worth the money!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
Surferkim

Sunset Cliffs,San Diego,Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK here we go! After researching shocks for our Dodge truck by calling three of the most reputable companies in town: Off Road Wherehouse, the Foreman. John Hine Dodge, The shop Foreman. Bee Line Alignment (arguably the best in town),talked to the Owner. All three said do not waste your money on Ranchos. The suggestion of all three was to wait for Bilstein to come out with a shock for my truck which they already have a part number for, so it will be out soon. The owner of Bee Line also suggested the Monroe Reflex. He said Monroe makes Ranchos but would not put them on my truck if he were me. They all three said I would not be happy with the ride or performance of the Ranchos. Also they have a tendency to rust out. So I guess my question is why are so many of you using them and why?

2005 Dodge 2500 SLT+,CTD 610,Auto,4x4,LWB,QC,Leather
00/915 Lance,AC
LCD/DVD,custom surf racks,Hellwig S/B,Rancho 9000's,Lifeline AGM,PD 9245C
2,750 custom overloads,no bags no problems
One Beautiful Wife,4 year old Son & 9 week old Son">">

FF1063

NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 05/16/06 04:36am by FF1063 *

98' Ram 3500 DRW / 05' Arctic Fox 990

campermama

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/06 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know what they are talking about. They are way better then the stock ones I took off! I have no complaints at all.

2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2016 2604ws Rockwood
1993 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 lifted IL6 4.0 5 speed

FireGuard

Ventura, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to disagree. I have had mine for almost 3 years and don't have any complaints. I think it is the best improvement for the money that you can do if carrying a t/c.
Just MY opinion.
I do notice most Ranchos do have surface rust on them, but to "rust out" would take along time.

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

ctsdiesel

Braintree, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/06 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had the two on the rear rust out all ready and leak (4years old), AND they will not warranty them because I have commercial plates on the truck, which I have to have in MA due to the GVW.
I will be looking for something else next time.

2008 PSD F350 CC DRW 6X6
2001 Lance 961, solar, Polar cub, EU2000.
20' Pace enclosed car trailer
Miata race car, Porta Boat, Traxter Max

S'mores

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surferkim wrote:

So I guess my question is why are so many of you using them and why?

Excellent ride and performance. Adjustability. Life-time replacement warranty. Affordable. Available. Work wonderful in conjunction with my air bags.

I would guess the shock salesmen you talked to don't have TCs. However the white metal casing of the shock will rust. But I've never seen a steel-cased shock that didn't.

hotrod4x5

Southern Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

I've had Rancho 9000s on my 4x4 SUV for over 5 years and no rusting problems. They have a lifetime warranty, so I don't think that would be an issue. I did, however, have two Bilsteins catastrophically fail on my F250. They were on the truck when I bought it and I knew nothing about the brand until the two front shocks blew up while I was in Death Valley last year going down the Racetrack Road. I replaced all 4 of them with Rancho RSX and haven't had any problems.

I used to belong to a 4x4 club and the predominant shock of preference was Rancho.

Rodney Former Owner of: 2005 Laredo 29GS 2002 F250 V-10 Yamaha EF3000iSEB (and NOT a GS Member)

Surferkim

View Profile

campermama wrote:

Don't know what they are talking about. They are way better then the stock ones I took off! I have no complaints at all.

Heck! anything would be better than the OEM's

Surferkim

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FF1063 wrote:

Do the three people own TC's and why would they be a waste of money if currently they are the best available product.

Ron

They were all told What kind of TC and the weight of it. The exact words of all three which I found peculiar was "You won't be happy with them" it was almost like a recording. And yes all three deal with rigs like ours. They all agreed the stock shocks are not any good, Duh!

maritt3

No. Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would expect them to bad-mouth a product they can't provide. And if possible, try to steer you toward one they could sell you. I posted a topic recently about my never-ending effort to thwart the leaks. I still would recommend them (not the installer!). The ride is great with or without the TC. Having the in-cab control probably causes the leak, but because of the in-cab, it makes a leak less difficult to deal with.

However, I wouldn't say that Rancho's are the only system that should be considered. I'm sure just like the Rickson / Vision issue, or the Dodge / Ford / GM arguement often debated here, the Rancho / Bilstein / Monroe issue is valid as well.

Get what makes you happy and comfortable (mentally and rig-wise).

'05 Dodge 3500
'04 Northern Lite Ten 2000RR

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Rancho 9000s' not worth the money!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS