|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Off loading and sloped driveway

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
awmasparky

Murrieta, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/06 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably a stupid question, but here I go. I will be receiving my 06 six pac D850 next week and would like to store it in my driveway. The driveway has a pretty steep slope. I was considering making some blocks to match the slope of the driveway and I know that the front cannot be lower than the back or it could fall over. Is this a bad idea or is there a safe way to do this.

Thanks

99 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD CTD,Banks power pack plus, exhaust brake. 2006 Six Pac D850.

gregorya

Torrance, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/06 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may be helpful to give folks an idea of how steep you are talking about, and in which direction. I imagine there is an excessive slope. Mine is pretty light at about 3-4% forward (nosedown), and a couple 4x6's work just fine.

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks."
Daniel Boone

2006 Silverado LT 2500HD, 4WD, CC, SB, D/A
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Pony Power

Silverdale, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/06 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is always a way to do it.[emoticon] If it was mine I'd have some sort of a safety chain anchored to the back just to make sure that it doesn't slide down the hill with you when get out from under it.[emoticon]
Put the blocks under the front jacks and just lift everything enough to get out from under it and level up after.
Just my .02ยข

2003 27rk Forest River Wildcat 5er
2002 F250 CC LB 4X4 Lariat
7.3 Powerstroke Auto, A Few Mods
EF2800i Yamaha Generator
17' Seaswirl Mercruiser

awmasparky

Murrieta, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/06 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The camper will be front end down hill. As for the slope, it is a 3.25" drop for a 48" run. I do not recall how the calculation is done for the slope, but if it is rise/run then it is around 6.8%. I have also considered installing some tie down points on the driveway to ensure that the back of the camper cannot tip forward. I did get the electric jacks, so I would think that I could figure out a safe way to get it done. I just hate the feeling you get when you do something stupid and you realize later that you should have known better. By the way this is my first TC, I have had several TT's but this TC thing is all new to me.
Thanks

gregorya

Torrance, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/06 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your slope calculation is correct. I would be nerveous too.

I lift my camper up evenly (parallel to the slope) to clear the truckbed, and slowly drive out from underneath the camper. I lower it evenly to the ground, and then raise only the front's to level the camper.

The reason I don't take it to level in the air is that as the rear goes down relative to the front, the jacks are going to need to bend away from each other since, to them, the feet are moving apart. This can cause binding in some jacks.

You'll see and understand what I mean when you try it. The jack feet will skid a little as the camper goes from parallel to level and vice versa. It will be more pronounced the steeper the slope is.

* This post was edited 06/25/06 08:22am by gregorya *

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/06 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

awmasparky wrote:

The driveway has a pretty steep slope.

Loading and unloading on a slope is hard on the nerves and on the equipment. Do yourself a big favor and find a level spot to leave your camper.

Good Luck,
Brad

Big Rig

Eastern Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/06 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My driveway is also on a slope except for the first slab from the street. It has only a slight slope. I finally figured out that if I drive front first into the driveway & stop with the rear of the camper next to the curb, I can unload the camper on the first slab by driving toward my garage door. I have done this once & it worked great. I even think I can get the truck out from between the garage door & the camper by wiggling the truck back & forth till it is on the adjacent driveway.
I always thought I had to back into the driveway to unload, but it looked too dangerous to me, so this is how I solved my problem.

Be careful & good luck,

Big Rig

04.5 Dodge Quad,3500,CTD,DRW,4X2,48RE, Ranchos, Tatman Wedgies
2015 Arctic Fox 990, 100W solar, power rear awning, Fox Landing, no generator, no oven

Prominion

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/06 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a steep ugly driveway, but I drop my camper onto a small box trailer...that way I can wheel it over to my neighbours nice, luxurious, flat driveway to load and unload! [emoticon]

Professional Minion & Sweetie

SlideInDad

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/06 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have a serious sloped driveway. Tried unloading with the front down the slope when I first got the camper 3 years ago. This is extremely dangerous!!! I encourage you to find another solution. My camper started walking on the jacks forward and I luckily got some cinder blocks under the front corners in time so I could lower the back down enough to stop it and get the front jacks back under it. It was such an aweful experience that I spent 5 weekends clearing trees and building a 4' high timber retaining wall with 3/4" crushed stone plus a landing pad so I could take my camper off safely. I will never ever attempt to unload on uneven ground again.

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC - 2006 Lance 861
SuperSprings/Airlift/Bilstein 5100/TowBeast/Torklift tie downs
previous setup:
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW Duramax - 2003 Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath

xp8103

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/06 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be concerned with the situation tha SlideInDad mentions. A 6 or 7% grade is not trivial. If you HAVE To do it, the first thing I would do is get myself some of those automotive ramps used to raise the end of a vehicle. Then just before you got into position, I would put them under the front wheels of your truck and back up on them. This will mitigate some of the grade. Then, build yourself some blocks for the front legs so that you dont need to extend them (I'd guess with that sort of grade, you might find that you dont have enough extention in them to raise it off the truck??) all the way. Lastly, a way to anchor the blocks to the ground so that you dont get any slipping. Where there's a will, there's a way. I do think getting your rig just a little more level before starting will make a big difference tho.

Nik
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD "Outdoorsman"
CC, LB 4x4, SRW, 6-spd Auto, 3.73LSD, Timbrens, TorkLifts and HappiJac QwikLoads

2005 Lance 1010

Member - Cape Lookout Mobile Sportfishermen

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Off loading and sloped driveway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS