RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Northern Lite 10-2000 Bumper step modification

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Northern Lite 10-2000 Bumper step modification

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/06 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to have a hitch extension to pull our boat and I wanted to keep the extension as short as possible, but the way the bumper steps stick out in the back I would have to have at least a 32 to 36" extension. By making the lower steps slide toward the front (under the camper) I will be able to have a 24" extension.
This also puts the steps out of the way when the tongue is on.

Here is a photo of the factory installation

[image]

I bought 1 ¼” angle and 1 X ½” rectangular tube, I cut the tube in half length wise to end up with two pieces of ½” X ½” U-channel.
I welded the u-channel to the angle, like this (it is upside down in the photo)
One downside to this is it drops the step another inch. All the steps are a slightly different rise so this isn’t too noticeable to us.

[image]

There was a lateral support welded on top of the steps that I had to remove and I added a threaded rod lower and in the back to regain some of that support.

The top of the steps are bent 90* inward and fit into the U-channel to ride back and forth.
I also added spreaders to my brackets to keep them where I wanted them.

[image]

I had many thoughts on how I wanted to lock the steps in place but we took a trip before I completed a lock, turns out I am happy with the way they preformed. They didn't move unless I moved them due to friction and torque.

[image]

[image]

I will post better photos of the unit on the truck and with the extension when I finally get the extension.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

mjgcamper

Nowhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/06 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job Spot.

It's a great feeling after a job well done, isn't it?

It's a good thing we don't live next door......... no one would get any sleep! It's a blast for me, and it's my hobby to work on my camper even into midnight at times.

I'd bet some guys on here are up till 2am. modifying their camper.

Mike

Peace and Good will to all,
don't forget country roads,
try travel em' all.

maritt3

No. Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/06 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While not every modification would apply to my model NL, I do appreciate you guys taking the time to photograph and posting your modifications. Keep 'em coming...thanks...

'05 Dodge 3500
'04 Northern Lite Ten 2000RR

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/06 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Added to this thread.

Brad

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/06 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some better shots with the camper on the truck, still no extension though.

in use mode

[image]

in travel mode

[image]

in retracted mode

[image]

[image]

[image]

D&SBarnes

San Antonio, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/06 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce,
Perfect timing man!
It was nice meeting you in person in Ogallala by the way.
We are in the midst of sending a deposit check for the NL 10.2 CD SE that was at the show.
Although I don't tow anything, the idea I might some day has it's appeal. Looking at a huge extension is a daunting task in a lot of ways. Your approach is fantastic and quite frankly you should send your pictures to NL. This application could help a lot of people have a great camper and still tow with confidence.
Way to go.
David

Dave & Sue,
DINKS and dedicated to having fun as much as possible.

05 GMC LT crewcab dually
07 Northern Lite 10.2 CD SE, highly optioned version...
A lot comes on a SE.

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/06 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D&SBarnes congratulations on the new camper, I'm sure you are going to really like it. Did you get the dark cabinets or light?

When you're in the area drop by and we'll help you set up your steps.

Bruce

D&SBarnes

San Antonio, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/06 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce,
It is the dark Sepelle wood. It is actually the same 10.2 SE that was at the show. I should have asked for a discount because of carpet wear. [emoticon]
I also noticed that there are a few other nice items on this camper that are not on the SE in the NL literature. The stainless steel door & cover on the range and also the brushed nickle finish of the sink faucet.
I don't know if this was just to spiffy up the one for the show or if this is an option or what. I'm not complaining!
This SE also had upgraded window treatments with the all ready nice windows, but they are pleated shades vs the standard roll shade.
All in all we are very pleased with it all and can't wait to get ourselves into it.
I commented to the wife that this particular TC is just flat beautiful as far as any mass produced RV is concerned. We were not all that impressed with some of the color schemes and patterns in most of the brands. But this one is hard to knock. Quite frankly I even prefer the decorating in my old TC over some of what I've seen. Is tacky the new decorator thing?

Thanks for the offer on the steps. (Never been to Michigan) If I ever ponder towing behind this behemoth I will need to alter them. The only thing I have to tow right now is a small utility trailer, and with all the extra room this TC offers, I cannot see needing to pull it. It would not be worth the trouble.(at least not now)
Give Spott a petting for me, and let him play in the water, it's hot.
Good luck with the boat.
Dave

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Northern Lite 10-2000 Bumper step modification
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS