|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Springs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
smh1040us

Delaware & Montana

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/06 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am trying to do some research on adding additional springs to my 2006 GMC 2500 CC deisel.

What, if anything, is the difference between "supersprings" and "overload springs"?

Is there a recommended place to buy the springs? How easy or difficult to install?

What other add-on are recommended to beef up the suspension?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

1998 Born Free

frenchyd

Lake Havasu City, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/06 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could add Timbrens, check out truckspring.com

00 F250 SD PSD, Super Chips, CC SB 4X4, Camper/Trailer pkg, sway bars front/rear, Timbrens, Rancho shocks. Big Foot A/T LT265/75R16E, Rims 16X7 Alum. Torklifts, fastguns, 05 Sun-Lite 865 WS SB, Fiberglass, Ext. Cabover. Titan Remote Jacks, 2128 dry WT.

Hotwhlz85

Elon, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/06 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I have ordered for my 2005 F250 Hellwig helper springs

Ron and Marsha
2006 Montego Bay 34RLB-3 by KZ 37' 5'er, 3 slides
Hauled by a 2006 Ford F350 Lariat CC FX4 dually 6.0L PSD

belairbrian

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/06 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to go with frenchyd on this one. Put Timbrens on this spring and have been very happy with them. They replace your bump stop.

TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison
2010 Chaparral 268RLE
Reese 16K Slider Hitch, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/06 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Supersprings are just another brand name for a type of helper springs. Generally the types are an add-on leaf like Supersprings or Hellwig's helper springs, rubber springs like Timbrens, or air springs like the Firestone air bags. None of these is the same as buying a truck built to carry the load. You will also want larger antiroll bars front and rear--1-1/2" diameter on the front & 1-1/4" diameter on the rear, and heavy duty shock absorbers...I like Bilstein.

You found what many have found...the weight of the heavy diesel engine and beefy transmission leaves little payload capacity in the so-called 3/4-ton trucks. I'd be better if diesels were only put into 1-ton trucks and higher.

Ken

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

2IVSWO

San Diego, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/06 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is my take and real life experience with the equipment, truck and camper I have, found in my signature. The supersprings combined with the air bags is a great set up especially if you have a heavy camper like we do. I have no complaints what so ever. If you are going to be hauling heavy the 19.5's and Dunlops do wonders as well. Still pondering Ranchos since the truck only has 6000 miles on it. Since I was in a pinch I had the Lance dealer install the supersprings and air bags. After watching them do it, if you have a little mechanical aptitude you can do it without a problem and with minimal tools. They did the air bags as well and it seemed like an easy install as well. I do not have a sway and am glad I did not install one. With what I have there is no sway unless entering or exiting a drive way. Hope this helps. My vote is for supersprings and air bags.

2005 2500HD D/A
2006 Lance MAX 881 Loaded, Supersprings, Air Lift air bags, Vision type 81 wheels, Dunlop Sp-431 245/70/19.5 load range "H"

Frank_EP

Fountain Valley, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/06 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smh1040us wrote:

I am trying to do some research on adding additional springs to my 2006 GMC 2500 CC deisel.

What, if anything, is the difference between "supersprings" and "overload springs"?

Is there a recommended place to buy the springs? How easy or difficult to install?

What other add-on are recommended to beef up the suspension?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

Consider the obvious.
Buy the 3500 SRW springs from your local Chevy dealer and install those.

Consider the slightly less obvious.
Buy the 3500 DRW spring, overload spring and frame perches from
your local Chevy dealer and install those.

2003 Lance 1071 maxed out plus 200 watts PV, accumulator and bottle opener
2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 167", Hellwig, Reese Titan, Reese Front, LineX, AirLift, bed mat, Rancho9000, Rickson 19.5" Eliminators with Mich 225/70 XDE M/S
KF6JGX; 5W on Yaesu FT530

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/06 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air-Lift systems or Firestone Air bags do a great job and you can easily adjust for any load or empty riding. Just add or release air. Up to 5,000 lbs additional load capability and you don't change any thing or on your existing truck. They are also great for protecting an axle bottoming out condition when hitting perhaps a chuck hole etc as they get much stiffer as the air is compressed. Personally, I prefer Air-Lift systems and have used them on 4 trucks so far. Never had one problem.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

4x4camping

Knox,Pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/06 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For $250.00 you can put Air ride bags on they ad up to 10,000lb Extra load. In 4 hours I installed a set on my truck. and put them over load spring down over the bank. I think the springs are a waste of money......... I have an ASE cert. and a Class A PA inspection License

I am telling you if dumb to waste the money and the time, and getting your truck re aliened, The air bag set right in on top of your springs, 2 u bolts hold it to your spring. The air bags are just like big truck air bags. You set the mounting plate on top of the bag, You have to drill 4 holes, put in the bolts, hook up the air line, and put in the air. Almost that simple, but still very simple.

Todger

Newville, Pa., USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/06 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Super Springs on my DRW F350. I use it to haul a Lance 981. The SS sit on top of the overload springs and a shackle with a roller goes under the other spring set. I do not notice any ride difference unloaded but the SS's work great when hauling the camper. There are no other suspension modifications. After hauling the Lance through the mountains of NC and Va. both secondary roads and interstate, I don't think I Need any other suspension help. The up side is no air bags to inflate/deflate.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Springs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS