|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 19.5 tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
tiremike

seattle wa

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/06 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hello,i recently installed 245/70r19.5 tires and wheels on my 1997 ford f350 cc psd,and we have a af 990 tc and also pull a 5ft trailer.i installed the tires with weight capacity in mind ,i work for a large tire retailer in the pacific n.w. so recently we started our vacation down i-5 to northern california and driving this set-up was like driving on black ice.....it was white knuckle the whole way ,then to top it off i lost my transmission just over grants pass oregon,buts thats another story. i tried lowering air pressures seemed to help a little ,but when you lower air pressure your also lower load capacity of the tires wich defeats the purpose of the 19.5s,so im going to 285/70r17 load range e and i can run max air and not have this truck float all over the road ,,,sorry im not impressed at all with the 19.5 tires crappy ride noisey and also to tall ,,scary to unload camper at rv park..taller tires af campers are tall aleady...just my 2 cents anyone else with 19.5 problems or do you like them? p.s im selling my 19.5 vision wheels if anyone is curios great deal...

mike ">

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/06 01:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it is important to make sure the tire compound is not a long mileage tire - but a softer compound that will wear off faster, but provide more traction along the way.

Never thought of this before you posted the harsh and slick as ice ride.

I made the mistake of installing polyester sidewall tires on my motorhome, and had to replace the 500 mile old tires with steel sidewall tires shortly there after. They polyester sidewalls where much softer than the steel sidewalls, and make the rear end wiggle quite a bit. Perhaps you can find a tire with a softer compound, for greater traction.

The 2005 and 2006 F-350 uses 18" rims with some super tire capacity in them. Perhaps you can find some take-offs. I don't know if they changed the center pilot hole size or bolt pattern from the early years. I bet they did just to keep people from using the lighter rated 3,050 pound rims on the new trucks.

I used to live in Grants Pass from 71 - 75. Hope that you found a good place to repair your truck.

Fred.

DmaxCamper

Brush Prarie, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/06 04:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiremike,

Not sure if you can buy them through your store, but Rod Hall Racing sells a wheel that comes in 17" or 18" with a 4500# weight rating. They are made for hummer H2's, so they have an 8/6.5 bolt pattern and should fit your older Ford. I found out they are made by Prime Wheels exclusively for Rod Hall Racing. Tires can be found in the 3750# rating in that size, but wheels have always been hard to find with a matching weight capacity, seems most aftermarket wheels max out at 3200-3400#'s.

Just a side note, you might want to post what brand 19.5 tire you are running, as some have had similar complaints from 19.5's and traded for a different brand tire and solved the problem.

2000 Arctic Fox 1150// '04.5 CHEVROLET 3500 SRW CC LB 4X4 D'MAX/ALLI.
FIRESTONE BAGS w/in cab controller and air fill tank kit
RANCHO 9000's // LANCE brand cab over struts/stabilizers
Happijac tie downs w/guides.
Goodyear 275/65-20's rated at #3750 ea.

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/06 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

19.5's have a several hundred mile breakin period until the tires thermal cycle several times.

It would be interesting to know what tire you have, the weight on your rig, and what psi you used.

We are thrilled with out 19.5's as are most folks.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

2IVSWO

San Diego, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/06 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whizbang nailed it. You have to let these tires break in. Initially they will feel very mushy, then they settle and are a dream. Dont buy the Michelins and if you did take them back.

2005 2500HD D/A
2006 Lance MAX 881 Loaded, Supersprings, Air Lift air bags, Vision type 81 wheels, Dunlop Sp-431 245/70/19.5 load range "H"

sooty1234

Portland ,Oregon, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/06 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Dont buy the Michelins and if you did take them back."

I installed the Toyo 19.5" tires on my rig and after 10000 miles I had them removed and installed the Michelin's. The Toyos never did stop the over steer and bad tracking. They improved some over time,but not enough. The minute I drove the rig with the Michelin's there was a big improvement to the handling. I have about 7500 miles on them now and they are as good as the original tires were for handling. YMMV Jim

Snowriver 10'2"
Dmax/Ali
Vision 19.5 wheels.
245/70R-19.5, Michelin XZE
It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but just ain't so!" Will Rogers.

tiremike

seattle wa

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/06 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hey dmax camper,how does your truck handle withn your tire/wheel set up ,the package that i am going to use has the same weight capacity as yours,and your camper is larger than mine ....i have rancho 9000 and air bags ,i guess the only thing im concerend about is weight capacity and tire failure ....

sasha_j

On the Road USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/06 01:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm very happy with the performance of my 19.5" hardware and rubber. No break-in period even. Rode on rails from day one.

Our Web Site

1999 Ford F450 7.3 PSD CC 4x2, Roll-A-Long Hauler Bed, 15,000 GVWR, 26,000 GCVWR, PacBrake PBRX, AIRSAFE 25K Air hitch & KSH 80 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box

2006 FR Sandpiper Sport F37 Toyhauler, 16K GVWR, 7K axles, 17.5" Wheels, 600W Solar

2IVSWO

San Diego, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/06 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sooty1234, Hope you took my reply with a grain of salt. When i was researching tires i was told by several people not to buy the Michelins due to the road noise which tiremike was not happy about. I run Michelins on all of our cars and love them. Rhonda at Rickson said they were not happy with the mileage people were getting out of them and turned me off of them and on to the Dunlops. Curious to know what you think of the noise at highway speeds and how many miles you have on them?

sooty1234

Portland ,Oregon, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/06 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2IVSWO wrote:

Sooty1234, Hope you took my reply with a grain of salt. When i was researching tires i was told by several people not to buy the Michelins due to the road noise which tiremike was not happy about. I run Michelins on all of our cars and love them. Rhonda at Rickson said they were not happy with the mileage people were getting out of them and turned me off of them and on to the Dunlops. Curious to know what you think of the noise at highway speeds and how many miles you have on them?

The Michelin XZE is a commercial tread pattern for hwy us and as such do not have a lugged pattern, they only have the rain groves. Do a goggle search for them and take a look at the tread design. They are noise free if there is such a thing. As I stated above I have about 7500 miles on them and yes the rubber compound is softer than the Toyo's which will give you less tire mileage,but results in better drivability, so the dealer tells me. Also the profile of the tire and width is different than the Toyo's. Mine have worn down on the rear tires about 1/16" and no apparent wear on the front tires in the 7500 miles. With proper rotation based on my observation, I should get over 100000 miles on these tires. Jim

* This post was edited 09/03/06 10:55am by an administrator/moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 19.5 tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS