RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Dodge overloads?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dodge overloads?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wesjr55

Tower Hill,IL,USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/06 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello; Has anyone ever just bought a 2nd set of factory overloads and added them on top of the first set?

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/06 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wesjr55 wrote:

Hello; Has anyone ever just bought a 2nd set of factory overloads and added them on top of the first set?

I thought about doing it on our F-350 SRW. (on edit)

Brad

* This post was edited 10/12/06 08:38pm by BradW *

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/06 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Until mid '01, that is the way they came from the factory.

'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

geusterman

Mount Vernon WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/06 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My late 02 had Camper Special twin overload springs. No "Camper Special" for third gen but 3500 the same. I tried to buy a second set of overloads for my 3gen but not available. So I ordered a set of 4 spring overloads from Deaver in CA. Just told em the curve and length and what for...about $250 if I remember. Put em on at home. George

geusterman, WA state, 04.5 Dodge, 3500 SRW flatbed, Cummins, 99 BigFoot 9.6 "Wherever we are, we're there!"

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/06 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wesjr55 wrote:

Paying attention to semantics... by 'overloads' I take it that you mean literally the overload "block/ spacers" that are below the spring pack (as opposed to the "helper" springs above the pack that engage when weight is applied?)

This being the case, may I ask your goals: are you trying to gain height (much the same as taller blocks?) or are you attempting to gain more load capacity?

If the former, I feel that it could work meaning that they would essentially act as blocks (although single solid block would be safer.) If hieght is the goal I would not use this method.

If you are attemting the latter- I do not think your goals could realistically be achieved. For the second set to be effective I believe there would be so much weight needed to engage the added overloads that the shear fact of the the weight required would cause more dangerous issues. Just think of the load needed to engage the first ones now.... then double that to engage the second set. The point of contact on the initial leafs would probably cause a severe stress point on the leafs themselves.

JMHO of imagining the scenerio via basic armchair physics.

ON EDIT: my 3500 SRW has just a single one from the factory.

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

TC-less, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups and 2 Northstar Arrows.

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/06 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you are a candidate for Timbrens: http://www.timbren.com

Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

WILLD

United States

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/06 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ever thought about an add-a-leaf? Or just buying a set of springs at the junk-yard and using a couple extra leafs per side?

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/06 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3500, you are way over thinking the question. See my post above, they came stock on Rams until DC decided for me that I don't want or need them.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/06 01:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been wondering about where to get extra leafs for my helper pack that engages when the bed drops myself, any advice?

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/06 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Energy Suspension Systems sells 2.5 inch spacers, they work great for stabilizing the sway of the camper. I also use airbags. My camper is almost 4000 pounds.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Dodge overloads?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS