RV.Net Open Roads Forum: IMHO the best OEM steps for a basement model!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> IMHO the best OEM steps for a basement model!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
AKSledhead

Anchorage, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/06 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After I posted the pics of our new camper (2006 Citation 1050) last week, I have had quite a few inquiries about the steps for our basement model. I have seen many different steps for getting into basement model campers and the ones that came with our camper seem to be the best (I think these came out in 2006 Citation/Corsair campers). So, here are some pics of how it works (a double fold down step w/a third clip on step for the basement section):

On the truck
[image]
With clip step removed for access to storage and dump valves
[image]
Clip for step
[image]
Step by itself
[image]
Closeup
[image]
In transit(double step folds up against clip step)
[image]

If anybody has any question just let me know.

Chad

'04 Jayco Granite Ridge 31SS
'07 Willie Drift Boat

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/06 11:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the new pictures. Those steps solve lots of problems other camper steps have. Best part is they don't take up any room inside the camper. Very clever.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

D&SBarnes

San Antonio, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/06 12:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To some degree I like that more so than what my NL has, but it is similar in some ways. How does the upper step stay in place when folded? and when the TC is loaded up, how much of a step up is there to that bottom step. Ours is considerable and I fashioned a hang on extra step to compensate.
I added a slide bolt to the bottom of ours and put a padlock on it. It is easier to lock down the step with than the factory thumb screws and the padlock secures it from theft and protects the basement as well.
[image]
Heres ths step addition... I didn't like that first 18" step up. The rest was gravy, and now it all is.
[image]
These things are getting better all the time... of course they keep getting more expensive too.

* This post was edited 10/17/06 12:39am by D&SBarnes *

Dave & Sue,
DINKS and dedicated to having fun as much as possible.

05 GMC LT crewcab dually
07 Northern Lite 10.2 CD SE, highly optioned version...
A lot comes on a SE.

AKSledhead

Anchorage, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/06 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D&SBarnes wrote:

How does the upper step stay in place when folded? and when the TC is loaded up, how much of a step up is there to that bottom step. Ours is considerable and I fashioned a hang on extra step to compensate.
I added a slide bolt to the bottom of ours and put a padlock on it. It is easier to lock down the step with than the factory thumb screws and the padlock secures it from theft and protects the basement as well.

These things are getting better all the time... of course they keep getting more expensive too.

Dave,
As far as the first step when the camper is on the truck, I think it's around 10". The upper step clips to the camper just under the door and secured with a slide fastener on the left side. When in transit the double fold down raises up and sits on top of the clip step.
I'll have to check your set up when I get home. I'm unable to see your pics now. I looked on NL's site and the '07 step look very similiar to ours. It's amazing it has taken so long to figure out something so simple. Atleast TC's are improving along w/the increased prices.

Chad

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/06 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice AKSledHead even though I have no issues with my factory Host steps with the upgraded bumper/step. In case you are wondering, one of the steps in the Host is inside the camper.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

BSH38

Rochester, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/06 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I have missed something here - are these manufacturer's steps or are they OEM?

2000 Ford F-350 4X2, DRW, CC, 7.3 PSD, 3.73:1 Rear, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho RS9000X shocks
2006 ARCTIC FOX (Silver Fox) 1140 Dry Bath, custom built, loaded
Me (Retired), wife Cathy & Pokey - who really is a Poodle although he thinks otherwise.

The Mad Norsky

Yankton, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/06 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe D &SBarnes added a little work to his steps, but the ones from AKSledhead are the factory steps that came with the camper.

cleary

Fairbanks, Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/06 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Chad,

The new camper looks great. Are the steps stable enough to use them folded up when you have your trailer connected? On our ULT116 if you use the step when it is folded up it can flip out from under you. Of course you can't fold it down as the trailer tongue is in the way. I've been thinking of something on the order of D&SBarnes steps.

Unfortunately the ULT116 is in the shop again. This time the other slideout is not sealing properly.

Chuck

2006 F-350, 4X4, Crew Cab, V-10, Torqshift, Dually. 2008 Okanagan 106UDB. Both 4-wheelers and snowmobiles. KL7AY Our website

Vili

Ogden, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/06 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at the steps that come standard with the Snowriver campers. They do occupy some of the basement storage area, but they are sturdy and work the same when the camper is on the truck and off the truck. I don't have any pictures to attach but look at the Snowriver website.

2004.5 Quadcab 4X4 Dodge 3500 SRW, LB, Cummins 600 diesel, auto, Line-X, SnowRiver 8'10" All weather package, rear awning, Torque Lifts with Happijak turnbuckles, air bags, Rancho 9000's.

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/06 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AKSledHead,
I saw the steps on a camper at the dealer in Eugene, OR.
It seemed to me that the steps were a little small and if they were covered with snow they might be a little dangerous.
Be CAREFUL
My wife has slipped on out steps twice. (different tall style)

I (2-10-05) bought a 2002 F350 CC SWD PSD and a new 2003 Citation 10'8. I have been a tent camper all my life. I wanted more comfort while camping and CraterLake Ski Patrol.
It's time for more space. I purchased a 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> IMHO the best OEM steps for a basement model!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS