|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Low Clearance Overhead Obstacles to Look Out For

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, confession time.

Truck campers are tall and it’s easy to run into low hanging over head items like tree limbs if you’re not paying attention. I thought it might be helpful for some new truck camper owners for us to list some of the low overhead clearance things we have hit with our campers and they should be looking out for. Maybe they can learn from our mistakes and not repete them.

We have hit numerous low hanging tree limbs. All were small and we only have a few small dents to show for it.

We did get some pretty good dents in the condenser coil on our A/C unit when my DW let me back into a medium sized limb.

Recently, I hit a very low hanging cable TV wire driving through a neighborhood. It ripped off the yellow lenses on one of the front cab-over marker lights.

Brad

Dekker

DesMoines Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

street clearances for cable are to be at a designated height if the wire was to low it should be repaired by the cable comapny. they have to adhere to specific regulations. Campgrounds could be different but on the street there are regulations for all wires. Dekker

eddd

Hurricane, UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

OK, confession time.

...We have hit numerous low hanging tree limbs. All were small and we only have a few small dents to show for it.

We did get some pretty good dents in the condenser coil on our A/C unit when my DW let me back into a medium sized limb.

Recently, I hit a very low hanging cable TV wire driving through a neighborhood. It ripped off the yellow lenses on one of the front cab-over marker lights.

Brad

"We have hit numerous low hanging tree limbs."

We??? [emoticon] How many of you were driving, Brad???[emoticon]

"...when my DW let me back into a medium sized limb."

Some seems to be having a little trouble taking responsibility.[emoticon]

Did you used to try and convince your mother that the hand in the cookie jar wasn't really yours?[emoticon]

BTW, I've never hit anything by being careless. I was just confirming my clearance measurements.

2002 KZ Sportsman Toyhauler

EdFil

Sarasota, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the same time to a cable t.v. wire while up to N. H. this year. I pulled into a friends driveway to a spot I thought was safe. Latter we found out the ac unit had hooked the cable. It was repaired at no cost to them or us. Prior to this we visited some friends in PA. and hit some tree limbs with our Ykama racks and had to take them off to get back out of the woods that led to their house. With this new 1191 the total height is 11'-7" and gives us just one more thing to think about. Oh we also had a problem in N.H when we came to a nice covered bridge that was 11'- 2". We were only 2 miles from our destination at the time and had to go 100 miles out of the way to go around the bridge. Stuff happens.

Ed

Ed and Fran

2005 F-350 Lariat Xcab DRW 6.0 Diesel
2006 Lance 1191

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dekker wrote:

street clearances for cable are to be at a designated height if the wire was to low it should be repaired by the cable comapny. they have to adhere to specific regulations.

Maybe, but in this case is wasn't. The cable had been damaged by the county trash pick-up when they caught their bucket on the wire and pulled it loose from the pole. The guy living there said it had been hanging like that (10') for a week and he had called the cable company several times. I was very lucky it only took out my marker light lense.

Brad

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twice with two campers I grazed the bottom of a tree branch with the top of the camper. Both times virtually no damage. However, the first time I was sure that the branch did some damage and as I sat in the drivers seat I contemplated what I would do as the camper was vintage 1978 and it would not have been economically viable to fix. After I got out and checked the damage, the branch had a huge gash and the camper had a little bend in the gutter. I fixed the gutter in ten seconds and all was well.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We guessed at a car wash ceiling height, hit the wand swivel with the A/C unit, no damage. My wife freak out at the noises as we backed the camper out, hoping we did not pull the swivel down too.
The height marker on the car wash did not include the swivel.
The first time out with the BF.

Bob

Bob & Jan

Beddows

Abbotsford, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snagged on of the few trees in Baja, and put a dent in my roof, it did not break the aluminum up there, it would have torn TPO.I am thinking of wiring for a camera on the roof of my new TC when I order it.

ntar827

Bay Village, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/06 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When driving through old cities on the east coast be alert for sign that warn of low overpasses. I missed seeing signs in a city near New York City and before I could stop I was under a low overpass. Took my air conditioner right off. Be alert.

Nick

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed the other day that the low overpass here is now measured at 8 feet even, not 8' 6" like it used to be. That one gets a travel trailer or box truck at least once a year. I haven't seen a camper try it yet, maybe camper drivers are more aware of the space they need.
Yep, our rigs are TALL!! It pays to be aware of that fact.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Low Clearance Overhead Obstacles to Look Out For
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS