RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Another question,,,do you use 4x4 much when truck camping?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another question,,,do you use 4x4 much when truck camping?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
everesttraveler

League City, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the things I like about the idea of truck camping is the ability to camp in spots where big rigs can't,,,as well as boonedock in out of the way places. So,,,since I am thinking of getting into the truck camping world,,,,which might include me getting a different truck for the job,,,,does having a 4x4 help in getting to those out of the way camping spots,,,or is it something that seldom gets used(but you are glad when you do need it?)

2005 Everest 323K and Lance 835
1999 Ford F-350 7.3 Powerstroke
Chocolate Lab

gs850gx

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't had to use it more than 4 or 5 times BUT I go to places I would pass by not having it. Half the places I go are passed up by 2wd campers.

97 Chevy 2500 HD 4X4
"I went to the woods, because I wished to live deliberately." D H Thoreau

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the places I go to can usually be reached without 4 wheel drive - BUT during the summer thunderstorm season many roads can be washed out in a single storm, and if you happen to be on the wrong end of the road without a 4x4 when that happens, well I hope you brought extra food and beer. Another plus about having it are those roads that start out o.k. and deteriorate into suggestions of roads - been there done that a bunch. My opinion - "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"

I never met a dirt road I didn't like...

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just about every trip we go on, at one time or another, we will use 4wd or 2wd low range or both.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

ScottCO

Littleton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Colorado, with a pickup truck it's a necessity. However, having 4x4 does have a tendancy to get you stuck further back than you should have been in the first place[emoticon]

2012 Hurricane 32A

My Blue Heaven

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 82 year old father in law has a good philosophy regarding the use of 4 WD: Never use it going in, because if you get stuck, you're out of luck. Use 2 WD going in, if you get stuck, get out with 4 WD.

2001 F350 Lariat CC 4WD 7.3 PSD dually, chipped, 4" SS exhaust, 350 hp, Rancho 9000's, front receiver, front & rear Roadmasters
2009 Arctic Fox 990S, storm windows, Cummins/Onan, FastGuns, Torklifts

serpa4

East Coast

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use to get in and out of the ski resorts when most RVers wouldn't take it due to slippery highways and jack knifing.

Love the camping life. 06 Host Rainier SS, 07 Classic GMC Sierra 3500 DRW.

oklamtnbkr

SouthWestern ,Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used my 4X4 on my last ski trip to get out of Tao's ski valley and the town of Tao's. This was the first time with the TC and I was glad it was there,and with the extra weight it helped with traction too.

2006 GMC 4X4 CC DM/A 6spd DRW Timbren's on all 4 corners, Rancho's Torklift's,superhitch/42" extn & Fastguns 2004 BigFoot 30.11SL

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on the 2wd going in- 4wd to get out. Ever been in a clay soil campground after a big rain?

And then there's the times like this year over the Christmas holidays- Rangers were only letting 4x4's into GSM national park after the snow. It was Beautiful! And uncrowded.

DT

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

gregorya

Torrance, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use 4-lo every time I load for the slow speed. Then we use 4WD every time we camp to get into our chosen spot. Most of the time 2WD is sufficient, but 4WD (esp 4-lo) allows you to creep in slow and smooth over rocks, ruts and stuff that you would otherwise be bouncing over.

We've only camped in two places (both campgrounds) where we didn't use 4WD. Most of our camping spots you can get to with 2WD, but everything would be on the floor in the back when you were done.

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks."
Daniel Boone

2006 Silverado LT 2500HD, 4WD, CC, SB, D/A
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another question,,,do you use 4x4 much when truck camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS