|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A/C for Truck Campers – Tell All You Know

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/07 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to start help thread on Truck Camper A/C units to go on the TC Help Thread:

TC Help Thread

Please post anything you know about a/c for truck camper that you think would be helpful to someone buying a new truck camper or buying an a/c unit for the camper they currently own. Model numbers, cooling capacity, heating capacity, amp draw, generator compatibility……...whatever you think could be helpful. Basically, anything and everything about truck camper air conditioning.

Also, if you know of any older threads that might be helpful, please post them also. There is one currently running:

A/C Thread

This is a new type of help thread and if it works out, we can do similar threads focused on other issues. Maybe it will fly, maybe not, we will see. But, if it does fly, I think it has the potintial to help a lot of folks.

I will be watching this thread more closely than others to keep it on topic (similar to the photo thread), so, if your off-topic post disappears; please don’t get you feelings hurt.

Thanks,
Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

FredAr

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/07 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea Brad.

P.S. Also another topic for future consideration is how-to improve 'water capacity' for TCs. My TC friends and I are now working this week on bringing our TC water capacity to the 60-70 gallon range, from our existing 30-40 gallon ranges. I will post pictures on a very simple but perhaps cool idea we are working on as we speak.

2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Mega Cab
2007 TC (Pastime 880ST) / 2005 TT (Montana 335 RLBS)

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/07 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, we can do many topics if this works out. If not, it will just be one of those "good ideas" that crash and burn. [emoticon] [emoticon]

Brad

Beddows

Abbotsford, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/07 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

COLEMAN POLAR CUB

[image]

[image]

This Air Conditioner is probably close to the ideal unit for a Truck Camper. I can't understand why Truck Camper manufacturers insist on installing 13,500 BTU A/C's in RV's that have 1/2 or less the interior air space of units the 13,500's are designed for. This A/C will keep even a moderately insulated unit cool in 100 plus temperatures, and best of all, it will run off a Honda 2000 portable generator, even at high altitude. It is a relatively quiet machine & it is low profile which is a big consideration when you already have a high Truck Camper. It extends more out in the front than the Dometic or Carrier, which may be a consideration. You need to look at the PDF documents below & measure your clearances.

The unit will cycle less than a standard 13,500 BTU A/C. This is easier on both the compressor & your generator. It will also tend to keep the inside temperature at a more even level, rather than continually cycling on & off as a larger unit would. The disadvantage is that this unit is more expensive as 9000 BTU A/C's are a lower production item. The inside controls are also more simplistic than the Dometic.

You should also be aware that there are different versions of this unit with different BTU ratings ranging from 8300 BTU to 9200 BTU. Here is how to tell them apart. You will find the label under the exterior fan shroud. You should be able to read it by looking through the shroud.

* This post was edited 01/20/07 10:16am by an administrator/moderator *

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/07 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would change all references from "A/C" to "Air Conditioning". I know it takes a little bit of work but everything will read much more clearly. It is often difficult to discern whether someone is talking about Alternating Current or Air Conditioning. In the case of reference threads, they are "forever" so it pays to take the time to make the language unambiguous.

(Please feel free to delete this post after the fact.)

Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/07 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

This Air Conditioner (~9,000 BTUs) is probably close to the ideal unit for a Truck Camper. I can't understand why Truck Camper manufacturers insist on installing 13,500 BTU A/C's in RV's that have 1/2 or less the interior air space of units the 13,500's are designed for.

My take on this is that many RV manufacturers dabble in various types of RVs. The 'heavier' air conditioners where what they used the most and persisted in using since it is easier to deal with one appliance; one supplier; one article in inventory; etc. My impression is that the 9,000 BTU units came along later, so it is not surprising that manufacturers have been rather slow to adopt them.

Other than that, I agree, the R-value of even a pop-top truck camper is not so low that one can't be comfortable with a 9,000 BTU air conditioner. In our case with a 6.5 foot pop-top camper, we have to keep our 9,000 BTU air conditioner on its lowest settings just to keep from freezing. We camp half the time in a climate with high heat and humidity which demands the use of an air conditioner.

2IVSWO

San Diego, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/07 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beddows you have very good point. I have one of those 13,500 btu A/Cs on our unit and it cycles like crazy and is loud. My next camper will be ordered with something along the lines of what you mentioned. Prospective buyers should take note!

2005 2500HD D/A
2006 Lance MAX 881 Loaded, Supersprings, Air Lift air bags, Vision type 81 wheels, Dunlop Sp-431 245/70/19.5 load range "H"

Zig

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/07 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also need to mention that the smaller air conditioner's runs well with one Honda 2000 generator.
I still think it is interesting when somebody is thinking about paralleling two Honda 2000's to run there 13500btu air conditioner, when it would probably be a better choice to downsize the unit to a 9000btu unit and just run one Honda 2000. But to be truthfully, I have not been desert camping and don't know for sure if the smaller one is big enough under severe heat.

sasha_j

On the Road USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/07 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never had an RV AC unit. Where does the water drain go? On the roof?

Our Web Site

1999 Ford F450 7.3 PSD CC 4x2, Roll-A-Long Hauler Bed, 15,000 GVWR, 26,000 GCVWR, PacBrake PBRX, AIRSAFE 25K Air hitch & KSH 80 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box

2006 FR Sandpiper Sport F37 Toyhauler, 16K GVWR, 7K axles, 17.5" Wheels, 600W Solar

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/07 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea on a thread, and information from Beddows. I will watch this one also as I would like to add one. I have the same questions as Sasha j so far. Feel free to delete this.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> A/C for Truck Campers – Tell All You Know
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS