|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper insurance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
armpics

Grant, Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/07 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone tell me what kind of insurance I should have on my truck camper? Every insurance agent in Florida seems clueless and guessing. Are there any insurance company's out there that really know what a truck camper is and how to insure it properly? I've been told I don't need liability, that my homeowners covers it. But my homeowners insurance company says no. I've been told I don't need insurance at all ,my car insurance covers it. Of course the car insurance people say "not so". HELP!

2011 Winnebago 31 access premier

pcryer

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/07 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have our house and car insurance with the same company. They just added our truck camper to the car insurance and said that when the camper is off the truck that the comp would cover it. Hope I never have to find out if it works or not[emoticon]

2006 Ford F250 Super Duty, Ext. Cab, Diesel, 2WD, shortbed
Air Bags, Stock 17" E Rated Tires
2006 Coachmen Freelander 2600 (Class C)
2013 19' Xcursion Pontoon w/Yamaha 70 4-stroke

frenchyd

Lake Havasu City, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/07 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My camper was added to my truck insurance.

00 F250 SD PSD, Super Chips, CC SB 4X4, Camper/Trailer pkg, sway bars front/rear, Timbrens, Rancho shocks. Big Foot A/T LT265/75R16E, Rims 16X7 Alum. Torklifts, fastguns, 05 Sun-Lite 865 WS SB, Fiberglass, Ext. Cabover. Titan Remote Jacks, 2128 dry WT.

Moomba2002

Sebastopol, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/07 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Progressive for the camper insured separately. Much better coverage I think than adding it as a rider to your policy.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 4x4
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k hitch
2017 Columbus 383FB
ExtremeAire 150 PSI 100% Duty Cyle on board air w/4gal. tank

2003 Arctic Fox 1150 loaded except solor

joe_jeep

hazel park, mi

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/07 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

go with progressive! the service is amazing. had accident with my camper 2 weeks after i got it. agent was at the dealer in less than 3 hours, and wrote a check on the spot. cost me about 250 or 275 a year with gap coveage. wish my dealership had the same service!
id have to have that camper about 10 years to pay for the fix through my premiums. i didnt even make my first payment yet when it happened.

2002 f250 sd shortbed supercab 4x4 lariat v10 3.73
2009 jayco jayflight g2 32rls
2005 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited sahara
jeep cj, d60's, coilovers, 42's, lots-o-tube

Aquanut

Naples Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/07 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got Progressive.

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/07 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moomba2002 wrote:

I have Progressive for the camper insured separately. Much better coverage I think than adding it as a rider to your policy.

Ditto

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

Fishn101

Seattle WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/07 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Liability pays for the damage that you are responsible for to others. Liability coverage will come from the host vehicle. Homeowners with many companies would pay for damage to the camper when off the truck but not while it is on.
Here are some things you should ask while in your search for the perfect policy at the perfect price---

I asked an agent friend of mine why so many agents and their staff get confused about slide in campers? He said that they write a lot of trailers and motorhomes but very few campers. He said he probably insurance a couple hundred trailers and motorhomes but only three campers. A lot of people with older smaller campers don't bother insuring them. Many people with trailers call them camp trailers. People here the word camp and get going down the wrong path.

Here are the most common coverages that could apply to your camper, on or off the camper. A few could come from your home policy but most from the host vehicle.
Liability, Uninsured Motorist, P.I.P-Medical, Comprehensive, Collision, Towing, Car Rental, Personal Property.

Some questions you may want to think about asking are;
1) Is all your coverage good on and off the truck? What's your deductible? Will it be different on or of the truck?
2) Is your policy ACV, (Actual Cash Value - a used price) or Replacement Value -- New Price with no depreciation? Almost all are ACV.
3) Is your personal property covered? Items like TV, clothing, portable generator, lap top computer, bedding, pots, pans, fishing poles etc. Or is it covered with home insurance.
4) Are awnings & antennas covered if damaged by wind?
5) Does your towing cover you with the camper on the truck or off?
6) Is your coverage good outside of the USA? Mexico probably no. Canada probably yes.
7) Do you leave your rig, especially a travel trailer for extended periods at a particular area or a seasonal lot you may own? Like a piece of land you own on a lake. If so are there policy limitations?
8) Is a broken pipe or other damage that might be caused by freezing covered?
9) If someone were to fall getting in or out of the camper be covered for their injuries and perhaps loss of wages. (PIP is the coverage that will pay this in many cases) Again on & off the camper?
10) Last but not least -- get everything in writing or have your agent show you the specific language in the policy that answers you questions. DON'T assume anything. There is too much at risk.

If your agent can't help you or won't show it to you in writing-- change agents if that doesn't work change companies.

Price and coverage options will vary widely from company to company and state to state. There are many rating factors - driving records- age - sex- credit scores.

Discounts will also vary multi-car, auto-home - auto-life etc....

In the long run price being close - I suggest you keep auto-home-camper-boat with same agent. It will be a lot less hassle in the event of a big claim.

If you don't own a home or are full-timing you should look at an RV Specialty insurance company. They may offer a package that combines homeowner type coverage and vehicle coverage together.

My slide-in camper valued at 21,000 (ACV) costs me an additional $32.00 per year. My camper has $250 Ded Comp & 500 Deductible Collision on or off the truck. My liability & Uninsured Motorist & PIP (Medical) also apply and come from the host vehicle, my pickup, on or off the camper. My personal property (bedding, pots-pans, clothing, tools, fishing-hunting gear, etc) is covered through my home insurance policy. I have it in writing

This may sound a little complicated, but take your time and ask all of the things I mentioned, take notes and remember a good agent representing a good company can show you the answer to all of the above in writing with no problem.....
The cost should be minimal because the exposure is minimal.

Good Luck in your search.

* This post was edited 01/23/07 09:54pm by Fishn101 *

2007-Cameo 30RLS - 2003 Chevy Silverado LT,Lg Bed,2500 HD, xtCab,4x4,DuraMax /w Alison Trans, Cab Controled Ride-Rite Air Bags, Cab Controled Rancho Shocks. BW Hitch 20' Northriver Boat

FF1063

NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/07 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 10/09/07 06:48pm by FF1063 *

iceaxeman

Virginia,U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/07 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I insure mine with Nationwide. They insure everything I've got. I've never had a problem with them other than several months ago when several trees fell on my TC. I was in upstate New York when it happened. They must have had (4) different people call me to make sure that I was OK, the rig was driveable, where do I want to get it repaired,......and so on. The service was so good that I almost felt harassed. When I got home, they took care of eveything without a hitch.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper insurance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS