RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: SRW guy finally drives DRW............w/REPORT

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> SRW guy finally drives DRW............w/REPORT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Next
Sponsored By:
DmaxCamper

Brush Prarie, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

O.K., So I have always had SRW 3500's for hauling our 3 different campers and I have always been PRO SRW solely because we use our trucks 90% of the time unloaded and liked that we could drive thru car washes, drive thru food establishments and park much easier. First off I am NOT anti-DRW, it has always been my argument that, if you have the camper on more than 50% of the time go with a DRW, but if you use the truck unloaded the majority of the time a SRW (correctly set up) will do. I have always been satisfied with the handling of our trucks and extremely pleased with the handling of our most recent set-up. I am posting this thread because my uncle just purchased an AF 1150 (same camper) and an '06 3500 DRW (same truck, only DRW) After helping him install cab struts, I took the opportunity to take it for a drive to see what I was missing. RESULTS, there is no doubt that it was better, but it was not a NIGHT AND DAY difference as has been stated by some, I would call it a DUSK AND DAY difference. This may be due to some of the different mods I did vs. other SRW's. My opinion has not changed with this experience, camper on the majority of the time, go DRW, camper off the majority of the time a GOOD SRW (3500) can do the job safely. I drove it on some curves and roads near my house that I was very familiar with and made some mock evasive maneuvers and I found the handling to be quite similar.

UNIT 1
[image]

UNIT 2
[image]

FLAME AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!![emoticon]

* This post was edited 02/04/07 10:27am by DmaxCamper *

2000 Arctic Fox 1150// '04.5 CHEVROLET 3500 SRW CC LB 4X4 D'MAX/ALLI.
FIRESTONE BAGS w/in cab controller and air fill tank kit
RANCHO 9000's // LANCE brand cab over struts/stabilizers
Happijac tie downs w/guides.
Goodyear 275/65-20's rated at #3750 ea.

AllenF

Riverside,CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/07 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So let me get this straight....

Your modified SRW truck is worse than a bone stock DRW, is this correct?

How much $$$ do you have in mods to still not equal a DRW truck?

How do these two compare in some wind?

Have you weighed both rigs and are they both overloaded? By how much?

I like your rims. What is the weight rating on them?

I know it is a lot of ???'s but I had to ask. [emoticon]

Allen
2005 Ford F-350 CC Dually 6.0L Diesel 4x4 King Ranch loaded, Supersprings, Coolant filter, Oilguard bypass filter.

2005 Eagle Cap 1150 slide, custom Norcold 9.5 cu.ft. refer, Honda EU2000i, Shurflo tank, Charge Wizard, Maxxair 1200T, 12'Screenroom

Greg B

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try it in some 30+ MPH crosswinds once.
I think you'll find more than a "dusk and day" difference.

-Greg

04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too many unknown variables to make a judgment. But I would say this much, if you found the handling "to be similar" between your SRW and the DRW........... something don't sound right. [emoticon]

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever weighed in? If so, what are your front and rear axle weights with all gear and people?

That dually and camper combo sure looks great. Congrats to your uncle on his new set up!

I did notice a big difference going from our SRW truck to our DRW truck with the same camper. Our camper is a fair amount lighter than the AF1150 though. How old is your AF, and how well has it held up for you? Wife and I are kicking around the idea of a larger camper, and have looked at the AF1150.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

DmaxCamper

Brush Prarie, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllenF wrote:

So let me get this straight....

Your modified SRW truck is worse than a bone stock DRW, is this correct?

How much $$$ do you have in mods to still not equal a DRW truck?

How do these two compare in some wind?

Have you weighed both rigs and are they both overloaded? By how much?

I like your rims. What is the weight rating on them?

I know it is a lot of ???'s but I had to ask. [emoticon]

His DRW is not stock he also has airbags, and yes his DRW handled slightly better.

My mods consist of airbags and rancho 9000's (which even most DRW owners do) and rear wheel adapters the correct the track, at a cost of $185. I feel this single mod makes the difference, you see GM trucks have a wider frame which makes for not enough room between the tire and frame for the airbags to go over the spring pack, so they must be installed under the frame inplace of the bump stops. I feel this is a bad idea because any weight you take off the spring and put on the airbags moves the pivot point inward (like a teeder-todder) By correcting the rear wheel track a mere 1.5" per side, I gain three benefits 1) I can use airbags that mount outside the frame increasing stability 2) I gain a wider track, plus a slightly wider tire give me almost 6-7" wider road contact also increasing stability and 3) It makes the front and rear track in the same track also improving stability.

I have been in strong cross winds many times and never had a worry. I have even followed many campers and other RV's down the Columbia river gorge(a known windy Hwy) and seen them get blown out of their lanes right in front of me, long conventional trailers being the worst.

Yes, we are both over GVW he is just over about 1500#s less.

Tires are rated at 3750# and wheels are rated at 3500#

SanCap

Sanibel Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/07 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DmaxCamper said "Yes, we are both over GVW he is just over about 1500#s less."

That in itself is the difference between night and day.

Jim

2015 Toyota Tundra, 2019 AT Summit Camper

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimandsue60 wrote:

DmaxCamper said "Yes, we are both over GVW he is just over about 1500#s less."

Does that mean the GVWR on the Chevy DRW is only about 1,500 more lbs than the SRW GVWR? Everthing else is the same, right?

Brad

TSJA

Campbell,Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree with DmaxCamper. I had the opportunity to load my 1030 on my Mom's '99 dually and use it for a trip that we've made a thousand times. The dually did handle it a little better, but it was not night and day...it was more dusk and day. I was a little surprised, to say the least. My '97 F-350 had 33 or 35x12.5x16.5 tires with 10" wide wheels. I think most people drive with stock (6" or 7") wheels and upgrade tires and never get the added benefit of the wider wheels, which by the way did make a huge difference on my rig. If you go from a stock set up SWR to a stock set up DWR the difference would probably be night and day. I can tell you there is a night and day difference between my '97 1 ton (SWR) and my '06 550, one 3k+ over GVW and one 3k+ under GVW.

JMHO.

'07 Lance 1131
'04 Weldcraft Sabre
'06 F-550 PSD-4DR-4WD Rear air-ride and a Gear Vendor

adamboyd

BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/07 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you're like what 2500# over gvwr on your SRW? What are your rear tires rated at... you've probably got about 3500lbs on each

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> SRW guy finally drives DRW............w/REPORT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS