|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance 8SCS initial review....long

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
#20 Home Depot

Mississippi/China

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/07 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wanted to give my initial review and thoughts on my new Lance 8SCS camper. I purchased a new left-over 2006 model as the price was right and I found it in stock equipped exactly as I wanted. The only options on my camper are:
1. Foul weather package
2. Electric jacks w/ wireless remote (Atwood Heavy Duty)
3. Fantastic vent (located in rear vent between bathroom and dinette)
I plan on making numerous additions and upgrades to the camper myself the first of which will be adding a Polar cub A/C unit.
The MSRP with destination charge on this unit was $19547 and I drove it off the lot for $15567....a tad over 20% off MSRP.

So far I have actually stayed in the camper for about a week including my trip home from Colorado with it which is detailed with pictures here.
The first trip using all systems was a 4 day hunting trip to Alabama with my 16 year old son and another hunting buddy. So far everything has worked perfectly. I have not found even the slightest little problem with anything although the camper took quiet a beating on the snow and ice packed roadways on my way home with it. I am very pleased by this and impressed by the solidness of the entire unit. Everything about the TC is so much quicker, easier and more fun to deal with than the huge fifth wheel toyhauler I had before. Here is a list of things I really like and a few of the things I think I can improve on:

1. I really like the wireless Atwood jacks. I really could not imagine having a TC without these. Simple and easy.
2. I like the built in rear bumper and how the sewer drain hose stores neatly inside it. The access door is invisible to the untrained eye and how the door openning is exactly where it needs to be, right next to the sewer drain!
3. I like the Lance built-in battery separator. No need to worry about adding an isolator to my truck. I also like the battery disconnect switch which completely isolates the battery for storage.
4. While being an expensive option I really like the foul weather package. This package consists of additional glass window inserts which effective gives you very nice double pane windows. They can be removed in seconds if needed although I doubt I will remove them very often. The other part of this package is insulated vinyl snap on covers for all vents and skylights. The first night I stayed in the camper the temp got down to 5 F and the camper was kept warm easily by just a small electric heater. I have also not seen any sign of condensation anywhere. I do keep the cab-over vent cracked about and inch while sleeping.
5. I like how the shore power compartment door has a slot so just the cord can come through and you can keep the door closed.
6. I love how my EU-2000 fits perfectly inside the generator compartment and still has room for my jack pad boards and extension cord etc.
7. I like the twin beds in the cab-over and how they can be zipped together to make a queen bed if desired.
8. I like how my full size 285 16 spare tire can fit perfectly and securely in the space between the cab-over step and dinette. I was really concerned about this as the 285 is too large to carry under the truck. In the position described it is not in the way at all while using the camper during travel and can be taken out in seconds if needed.
9. I like how big of a bed the dinette makes into. Easily fits a full size 6' man. Not the case on most other RV dinettes.
10. I has very pleased to find out how quiet the water pump was!
11. Very impressed with the winterizing valve setup. Simple, easy and no lines to swap or change when winterizing.
12. I like the looks and clean lines of the camper.
13. I like that the camper is prewired for stereo and A/C and the wire locations are marked with stickers.
14. I like how you can step right out on the firm flat roof from the large cab-over escape hatch.
15. I like the built in gun rack and rod racks in the large cabinet over the dinette. I like how a couple of duffle bags fit easily in this space also.

Few things I don't like:
1. No powered vent in the bathroom. I will probably add another fanstastic vent here and also vent the lower portion of the bath door.
2. Not trilled with the 3-way fridge. Would much rather just have a 2-way. Although I tested the 12V operation and it seems to work fine the wiring on the truck is only 10 gage and I don't plan on upgrading it. I personally don't have a problem running on LP while underway and will just run the refrig switch in manual select.... no biggie.
3. I'm not thrilled with the small size (13 Gallons) of the grey tank. A grey tank on any camper is always to small though and I knew this going in. I have some solutions up my sleeve for this in the future[emoticon]

Overall I am very happy with my new camper and it has far surpassed my expectations on workmanship quality and user friendliness.

* This post was edited 02/18/07 06:48pm by #20 Home Depot *

#20 Home Depot
04 GMC 2500HD SWB EC D/A SLT 4x4,Michelin LTX AT2
Timbrens, Bilsteins , color backup cam, Doran tire pressure monitor Reese Tow Beast, Torklift tiedowns w/ fastguns
Lance 8SCS Polar Cub AC Honda EU2000">
2007 Chaparral 256 SSx
2005 Jeep Wrangler

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/07 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the review of your camper.

Added to the TCU Page.

Brad

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

LanceCamper845

Pocono Mountains, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/07 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to take a look at mine. I bought an 845 in December and put the snap-on All Weather Covers on all the vents and forgot to look to see if it had a bath vent fan.

2008 Ford F-250 Crew-Cab w/ Camper Package
6.8L V-10 / 5 Speed TorqShift / 4.10 Rear
Ride- Rites / Stable- Loads / TorkLift Tie Downs / Fast Guns
2011 Lance 830

Tee

Highland, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/07 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 845 also did not have a fan in the bathroom. I added a regular bathroom fan unit to it and there were wires already there. Not a big deal to install at all.

Enjoy!

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie 4x4
2015 Raptor 300MP ~ FOR SALE
Mega Cab Dually CTD 4x4 ~ Sold
Lance 861 ~ Sold

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/07 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really like my 8scs also but I have made a few changes to suit me a little better. I am in the process of adding a second battery in the engine compartment to give me longer battery time as I mostly boondock. When I ordered mine i asked to have the bath prewired for a fan well it came in with one installed no charge. I have installed a Tri metric 2020 and that little fan pulls more amps then the Fantastic vent fan.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lance 8SCS initial review....long
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.