|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DRW Truck Experience

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/07 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to hear from some owners who have migrated from a SRW truck to a DRW vehicle.

Why did you change?

What were your opinons of the difference in handling?

Are you using the truck as a daily driver (full time or part time) with the camper off the truck and how do you like it?

Do you feel better/more safe etc. when loaded and going down the road?

What dont you like about the change?

Much change in Fuel Economy?

Difficulty checking inflation pressure?

Truck to large?

Thanks....

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

280fx

McDonough, Ga, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/07 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This topic has been discussed almost weekly on this forum, Have you tried a search on this topic? If not, you will find the answers to most of your questions.

But I am sure you will get some repiles here as well.

Hope this helps.

* This post was edited 02/25/07 09:36am by 280fx *

Dean and Liliana
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat Super Duty 6.4 Powerstroke
2009 Host Everest Triple Slide

looney bin

Nevada City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/07 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did you change? New camper is 11.5 and HEAVY!

What were your opinons of the difference in handling? With a heavier camper the DRW's handling performance increased, I was really surprised being I had made a ton of suspension upgrades to the SRW.

Are you using the truck as a daily driver (full time or part time) with the camper off the truck and how do you like it? Wife drives the truck everyday! Has yet to tear the fenders off it! (knocking on wood)[emoticon]

Do you feel better/more safe etc. when loaded and going down the road? YES

What dont you like about the change? Not as easy to park, we went from a SB to LB and the width does make it a bit more challenging, other than that are really happy with the DRW.

Much change in Fuel Economy? 2500HD was 8.1L @ 10-12MPG, DuraMax (brand new still)is already @ 14-15 MPG loaded!

Difficulty checking inflation pressure? With the proper gauge anf chuck NOT a problem.

Truck to large? The wife says YES at times, I can live with it.

Happy Trails!

looney bin

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/07 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodhog wrote:

I would like to hear from some owners who have migrated from a SRW truck to a DRW vehicle.

Why did you change? More load carrying ability, more stability.

What were your opinons of the difference in handling? Truck feels more stable with camper, especially in high cross winds, or twisty roads.

Are you using the truck as a daily driver (full time or part time) with the camper off the truck and how do you like it? Not a daily driver. Have a work supplied truck during the week. Does get driven every weekend for personal use.

Do you feel better/more safe etc. when loaded and going down the road? YES

What dont you like about the change? I like driving the dually more even when empty. Handles great. Negatives for me are buying two more tires every 40k or so. I don't mind parking farther from the store--A little extra excercise is a good thing for me.

Much change in Fuel Economy? Hard to tell. The old truck was a 1994 Dodge 2500HD 4X4 stick Cummins with 175hp and 460 lb/ft of torq. I got 18-22mpg. The new truck is a 2004 3500 4X4 stick Cummins with 325hp and 600lb/ft of torq. One would expect a heavier truck with allot more power to get poorer mileage. I get 16-20mpg. These figures are for empty truck. With camper surprisingly the trucks got/get about the same 14-17mpg.

Difficulty checking inflation pressure? No, I have a dually type inflator with the gauge built in.

Truck to large? Well not for me. The truck is the same size as a SRW aside from the width. It is not the truck I would want for back country wheeling, and I can't take it to the car wash, but other than that it goes anywhere I took my last truck.

Thanks....
You are welcome.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/07 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken,

Why did you change?
Ans: Going to a heavier slide-out camper, started towing a 7,000 trailer and our truck is not our DD any more. I would have been over the GAWR and rear tire ratings.

What were your opinions of the difference in handling?
Ans: Night and day better.

Ans: Yes.

What don’t you like about the change?
Ans: Wider, drive through windows are a pain, there are some roads I no longer drive, parking, little clearance when backing under TC, rougher empty ride, can't properly rotate the tires, yada yada yada.

Ans: about 1-2 mpg

Ans: Yes, a lot more trouble. With Ford factory aluminum wheels, I have to carry around 3 different air chucks and it's still a PITA to check, air down or air up the rear tires.

You left out the most important question: Given the problems associated with driving a DRW truck, are you glad you switched from an SRW to a DRW?
Ans: Absolutey.

Brad

* This post was edited 02/25/07 10:35am by BradW *

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

camillit

SE Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/07 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did you change? Had to...my new 5vr has a pin weight of 2,200 lbs, and my firewood, and the 200# hitch, and my 600#'s of extra diesel fuel.....and dually brakes can stop my 15,000# 5vr easily.

What were your opinons of the difference in handling? Dually hands down..no brainer. No cross-wind issues, great stability and braking.

Are you using the truck as a daily driver (full time or part time) with the camper off the truck and how do you like it? Full time.

Yes...no comparison

What dont you like about the change? No automatic car washes. It's cold outside!

Much change in Fuel Economy? No. I had a 99 quadcab 4x4 and there is my diff. for me. I am surprised.

Difficulty checking inflation pressure? A wee bit more pita...

Truck to large? That's an oximoron...........

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/07 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodhog wrote:

Why did you change?

LCF (look cool factor) when GM came out with the one piece molded dually fenders. I fell in love with the look. I always hated the look of those extra fenderwells just bolted onto the side of the standard truck box, especially on the older trucks.

What were your opinons of the difference in handling?

Night and day. I feel so much more stable going down the highway, especially on twisty mountain roads and especially when towing. It feels like there is little chance of the back end flipping over.

Are you using the truck as a daily driver (full time or part time) with the camper off the truck and how do you like it?

I tow a trailer, not haul a camper, because I have a huge rack and toolbox setup similar in shape to a camper. Mine is my daily work vehicle. I love driving it. I find the dually a very enjoyable ride.

A lot safer, especially when towing, mainly due to the increased stability the DRW offers. Going past big trucks at highway speeds is never a problem like it can be with a smaller loaded vehicle. No white knuckles.

What dont you like about the change?

Parking is a pain. Mine is an extended cab so the turning radius is big. They make parking spots smaller and smaller all the time. I almost always take two parking spots on an angle so I can get out easier, and to protect my paint because of the very close proximity of other vehicles.
When it comes time to buy rubber it is 50% more cost, but that doesn't happen often.
Changing an inner flat is a bit more work.

Big change for me. I went from a balanced and blueprinted high compression 454 to a diesel. My fuel mileage more than doubled.

At first, yes, until I bought a tire guage made to get into awkward spots. If the rims are dirty, my hand gets dirty and it is a little difficult to get in there, but not enough to be a concern.

Truck to large?

NEVER ! ! ! Mine is bright red with ladders and stuff on the top. People move over on the highway for me because they think I am a fire truck. I love it!![emoticon]

Thanks....

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

cleary

Fairbanks, Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/07 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My answers are pretty much the same.

Checking tire pressure is easy with an inflator that is made for it. Impossible on the inside dual if the clown that rotates your tires doesn't align the hole in the outside wheel over the valve stem of the inside one.

The one downside I have experienced is handling when empty on snow and ice. I see you live in Nova Scotia so thought I should mention this. A dually with no load is very squirrley on snow and ice. I used to take the outside dual off in the winter to improve this situation but haven't with my 2006 dually. I also have 4X4 and All Terrain Tires. I wouldn't consider going back to singles because of the advantages others have mentioned and the fact that my camper would squash SRW. Just be aware and go easy on the throttle when it's slick and your empty.

Chuck

2006 F-350, 4X4, Crew Cab, V-10, Torqshift, Dually. 2008 Okanagan 106UDB. Both 4-wheelers and snowmobiles. KL7AY Our website

pftate1

WA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/07 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did you change?

For added piece of mind wile going down the road.

What were your opinions of the difference in handling?

Night and day better when loaded.

It is my full time drive and love it. Mirrors are same on SRW as on the DRW trucks witch to me makes them the same with when it comes to parking.

YES

What don’t you like about the change?

Have never looked back and would never go back to a SRW.

Not for me I get 12.5 to 13 loaded mixed driving.

I had all stems replaced with metal. Rear wheels have extended stems for easy check and filling. I don’t rotate my tires.

Truck to large?

No

Paul T
2003 Dodge 3500 4X4 DRW Cummins,2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Super Hitch, FastGuns, Firestone Air Bags,Rancho 9000x,Honda EU2000 and front reciver
15’ Boston Whaler Classic

hotvet67

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/07 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm all for the DWD , had one , but I would get a 4X4 picure below is one that pulled off the BWPW on dry grass , had to get a wrecker to pull it back on the road .
[image]
[image]

2004 Lance 845
2006 F350 PSD 4X4 SWB 20" Fact. Wheels
1967 corvette drag car

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> DRW Truck Experience
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS