|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Extending Overload Spring Perches

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Crumm

Fairbanks Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/07 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For you guys that haven’t heard of this or haven’t yet did it I thought I would share a little project that I just completed. My truck is lifted a little so the overloads never touch the perches no matter what I load up but even in stock form the perches are up a little high. After searching on this site about what to do about this I found that at energysuspension.com you can find a variety of bump stops that are intended to go between the axle and frame but they work great to go between the spring and perch. I ordered a set of 9.9109 low profile stops and a set of 9.9104 high stops from Schucks auto parts. Due to my lift the rear perches are farther than the front so I needed the two different sizes.

Here are the pictures of the install: Please pardon the dirt, mud and grime-today is the first day we have had over freezing since last fall. Spring cleaning will begin just as soon as water will flow through my garden hose.

Stock front:
[image]
Stock rear:
[image]
Modified front:
[image]
Modified rear:
[image]
Loaded front:
[image]
Loaded rear:
[image]
Loaded front with 50 psi in the air bags:
[image]
Loaded rear with 50 psi in the air bags:
[image]

With the extensions in place the load is much more stable and the overloads are actually doing something. If you check out the Energy suspension link above you will find bump stops in all shapes and sizes to suit your needs. Some of the guys here go with the 9.9109 low profile stops while some go with the 9.9121 Low profile button head bump stop. If you are going to pack a camper you might check into extending yours so that the overloads actually do something.

Here is my load and I like the way the bump stops reduced sway:
[image]

* This post was edited 03/31/07 05:32pm by Crumm *

2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/07 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crumm wrote:

Please pardon the dirt, mud and grime

I live on a short piece of dirt road and I would be happy if my truck was that dirty, yours looks like it was just washed yesterday.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/07 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Added to the TCU Thread.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

EdFil

Sarasota, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/07 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crumm thanks for the post. This is what I need to give my overloads some work and possibly prevent my air lifts from breaking bolts in the future. Ed

Ed and Fran

2005 F-350 Lariat Xcab DRW 6.0 Diesel
2006 Lance 1191

Greg B

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/07 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ended up doing something very simmilar to my Dodge 2 years ago. I installed 2 1/2" bumpstops to the overload spring perches, and now they're now fully engauged when the camper is on. This helped out quite a bit with the handling.

On every truck Ive owned with overloads,(both Ford and Dodge), theres been such a large gap between the springs and the perches that it basicly renders them useless. Why they design them this way is a mystery to me.

At least the longer stops are a fairly cheap fix for the problem.

-Greg

04 Dodge 1 ton dually, Cummins, auto, quad cab, 4x4, SLT, Sport, Reese Titan V

04 Lance 1161, TV/DVD, high efficiency A/C, Honda EU2000

ekim17mr

richmond/bc/canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/07 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it necessary to put the stops on both the front and back of the rear overloads?

2002 F-350 v-10 supercab 2001 90FWS Adventurer camper
Ride-rite air bags Rancho 9000x

fredderf

lanc pa

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/07 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the only thing i did different was to 'trim ' down the bump stops . i just cut off the 'tapered ' part on the bottom , that way they weren't compressed .

ford '09 350, 4x4, 5.3, sb, ex cab
'05 lance 845
'go fish....'

joe_jeep

hazel park, mi

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/07 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what gets me is my truck loaded is slightly over loaded, i think? about 3 to 5 hundred lbs over, i guess. and my stops still didnt even touch?? whats up with that? i needed more weight for it to work better? seems like poor engineering to me. shoube be in full contact at 2000 lbs! i did the energy susp. 9.9109 bump stops, helped alot.

2002 f250 sd shortbed supercab 4x4 lariat v10 3.73
2009 jayco jayflight g2 32rls
2005 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited sahara
jeep cj, d60's, coilovers, 42's, lots-o-tube

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/07 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the process of fabricating a set of my own out of composite deck material and 1/4" ABS plastic. Just about ready to install them. One of the advantages I'm going to get is having the exact length I need versus a bought set given length.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

joe_jeep

hazel park, mi

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/07 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just loaded up my camper today and test drove it for the first time with the new overloads and camper together. what a difference! much more stable now! im very happy. also did the happijac bumper support braces. these helped the camper not bounce at the rear end. much better on both upgrades.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Extending Overload Spring Perches
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS