RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tork Lift Tiedown Installation On 07 Dodge

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tork Lift Tiedown Installation On 07 Dodge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CumminsDriver

Colfax Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/07 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before the installation of the Super Hitch I installed the front tiedowns. Here's the front tiedown before installing. There is a spacer plate on the top of the tiedown that goes between the truck bed bracket and the tiedown, you can see it sitting on top of the tiedown in the picture below:
[image]
Start by removing the bed bolt in the picture below. Be prepared, this bolt didn't come out easy as it was locktited and I needed to use an impact to remove it.
[image]
With the bed bolt removed install the tiedown with the spacer plate using the same bolt you just removed. Loosely install the bolt to hold the tiedown in place. Then using the fish wire provided pull the bolt and washers through the large hole in the side of the frame and then back through the front hole in the frame and through the tiedown as shown below. After fishing the bolt use some pressure on the tiedown to hold the bolt in place and remove the fish wire. Install the washers and nut. Use the same process for the rear tiedown bolt:
[image]

[image]
At this point tighten the tiedown to the bed bracket and torque to 80 ft lbs. Then tighten the tiedown to the frame and also tighten to 80 ft lbs. The drivers side installs the same as the passenger side tiedown. Here's the finished install of the front tiedown:
[image]
The rear tiedowns are very simple to install as they just bolt to the Super Hitch as shown below:
[image]
The only issue with the rear tiedowns on the Dodge is that the rear passenger tiedown can't be installed into the receiver because the exhaust pipe is in the way as shown below. The answer to that is to cut the tailpipe and install a turndown exhaust tip giving the clearence needed to install the tiedown.
[image]

[image]
I had to cut about 7" off of the tailpipe for the turndown exhaust tip to clear the tiedown. Hopefully this will help others with their install if they choose to do so. It's really not to difficult and can save you some money by doing it yourself.
Rich

* This post was edited 04/22/07 09:12pm by an administrator/moderator *

2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

GhostZero

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/07 11:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post!

You're right, installing torklifts really isn't that complicated. I'm really dissapointed that mine are sitting on a shelf because I moved to stable lift!

One note- If you're lying down, installing the rear tiedowns without the super hitch be wary of lying directly under the tiedown without it actually being bolted onto the truck. The way they kinda wedge in between the bumper mount and the bumper is nice for holding them in place, while you prepare the bolts, but mine slipped out and hit me in the head.

[emoticon]

--
GhostZero: KC0YDD
The Battle Truck Galactica: 2006 Dodge CTD 4x4 6spd
Helwig sway bar/Rancho 9000rx shocks/
Air Ride bags/Air Ride Sureset/Westach gauges/AFE stage 2 intake
Bluetooth GPS/Sirius/XM/ipod/2-meter/Ricksons 19.5s
1992 Lance 480: Stable Lift

ogrer

Norwood On

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/07 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good post, on the '06 you did not have to cut the tail pipe. Wonder what is different?

Bob

Bob & Jan

CumminsDriver

Colfax Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/07 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ogrer wrote:

Good post, on the '06 you did not have to cut the tail pipe. Wonder what is different?

Bob

Supposedly the 06 and 07's are the same. There are 2 different rear tiedown kits available, the R3500(which is what I installed)and the universal kit which comes out straight from the hitch, not at an angle like mine do. jmtandem had to cut his exhaust also and his truck is an 05.
Rich

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/07 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excelent write-up. Added to the TCU Thread.

Thanks,
Brad

Craig6519

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/07 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same issue with the rear tiedown and the exhaust on my 07, I called tork lift and sent them pics, they said I had the wrong rears for the 07. I can't remember the P/N but it started with a C, Oh we'll will see.

Craig

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/07 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GhostZero wrote:

Great post!

You're right, installing torklifts really isn't that complicated. I'm really dissapointed that mine are sitting on a shelf because I moved to stable lift!

One note- If you're lying down, installing the rear tiedowns without the super hitch be wary of lying directly under the tiedown without it actually being bolted onto the truck. The way they kinda wedge in between the bumper mount and the bumper is nice for holding them in place, while you prepare the bolts, but mine slipped out and hit me in the head.

[emoticon]

I moved to stable lift! Is that a result of being hit on the head?

norm

Twain Harte, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/07 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tork Lift should hire you to publish their install directions!

I just finished installing my SuperHitch on my 04 Cummins. The hitch itself is awsome, but the install instructions were mickey mouse, at best.

In my case, I ran into two problems. Problem #1, the rear of the mounting plates were in direct conflict with my rear, after market, anti-sway bar. While this was not Tork Lifts fault, I'm sure that they are aware of the conflict since the rear sway bar is a standard and common after market part. Unfortunately I was in a bind, on a weekend, when installing the hitch and could not contact Tork Lifts tech department for a possible solution. So, out came the metal circular saw and the mig welder, and an hour later the problem was fixed. Unfortunately, I have now voided the Tork Lift warranty, although I believe my fix has actually made the hitch even stronger.

Problem #2, the rear Tork Lift tie downs which I purchased and installed two years ago, would not bolt directly up to the SuperHitch. So, once again out came the metal circular saw, the recip saw and the Hole Hawg drill. A couple of hours later, the rear Tork Lift tie downs were back in business, although now a few inches forward of their original mounting positions.

Bottom line, the SuperHitch is a GREAT product. But I am amazed at how unprofessional the instructions were. The Tork Lift products are not cheap, but you sure wouldn't know it by their presentation!

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 quad cab, shortbox, Cummins diesel, Xillirator chip, Kohmo 937 19.5's & Vision 19.5's. 2005 Eagle Cap 850, slide, on board Onan LP 2800. 1967 Century Sabre gull wing mahogany ski boat.

Silverado_55

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/08 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Happijac solution to installation problems is the way to go. I have talked to so many Happijac owners who are completely satisfied with the ease of installation and the simplicity of use and the reduction of weight of Happijac tie downs. They all feel the same as I do. The bulkiness and heaviness of the Tork Lift does not equate to stronger and better holding. In fact they can damage your frame and camper anchor points. With Happijac the camper can not move because of the angles of attachment. With the Tork Lift the angles are vertical and provide nothing more than keeping the camper in your truck. Happijac holds side to side, front to back and rolling. For the money and strength and safety, Happijac can not be beat.

Troutguy

Midwest USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/08 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silverado_55 wrote:

The Happijac solution to installation problems is the way to go. I have talked to so many Happijac owners who are completely satisfied with the ease of installation and the simplicity of use and the reduction of weight of Happijac tie downs. They all feel the same as I do. The bulkiness and heaviness of the Tork Lift does not equate to stronger and better holding. In fact they can damage your frame and camper anchor points. With Happijac the camper can not move because of the angles of attachment. With the Tork Lift the angles are vertical and provide nothing more than keeping the camper in your truck. Happijac holds side to side, front to back and rolling. For the money and strength and safety, Happijac can not be beat.

And you don't work for or have any affiliation with Happijac? Your comments, IMO, seem to reflect a minority consensus regarding HJ products on this forum......[emoticon]

TG

2018 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper & Honda EU2000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tork Lift Tiedown Installation On 07 Dodge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS