RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Firestone fittings LEAK (how to fix them)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Firestone fittings LEAK (how to fix them)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jgorm

san diego

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted in another thread about the fitting i used to fix the leaks in the firestone air bags and have gotten a few requests for more info, so here it is. Nearly every fitting provided with the kit leaks. Even the brass T's leaked from pores in the metal, the metal push fitting leaked too (plus they are "single use" and cannot be removed). I replaced them with standard push fittings from home depot. I've been using these fittings for years on my RO-DI water system and for air lines on some projects, and fell in love with them. I have never had one leak with water or air and have run them past 150 psi with air. (about 90psi with water). They are also known as Jayco style fittings, but many people have never heard of that and call them push fittings. They cost between 2 and $4 depending on what size or type you get. They have them at the depot, usually in the plumbing area where they sell the small brass fittings. You can see them in my leak tester / air control system i used for installing my air bags. My air system looses about 1-2psi/ month per bag and my tank pressure looses nearly nothing. I had to tighten the fittings on the top of the bags, but other than that there are NO LEAKS, and thats with a air tank and incab controls (lots of lines and fittings).
[image]

edit: guess they didn't like my language, but i dont say stink and leak will aid in future searches.

* This post was last edited 10/30/07 04:40pm by jgorm *   View edit history

'97 C3500 4 door dually with big heavy camper The Camper My Ford EFI Tuning Website

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jgorm wrote:

I posted in another thread about the fitting i used to fix the leaks in the firestone air bags and have gotten a few requests for more info, so here it is. Nearly every fitting provided with the kit leaks. Even the brass T's leaked from pores in the metal, the metal push fitting leaked too (plus they are "single use" and cannot be removed). I replaced them with standard push fittings from home depot. I've been using these fittings for years on my RO-DI water system and for air lines on some projects, and fell in love with them. I have never had one leak with water or air and have run them past 150 psi with air. (about 90psi with water). They are also known as Jayco style fittings, but many people have never heard of that and call them push fittings. They cost between 2 and $4 depending on what size or type you get. They have them at the depot, usually in the plumbing area where they sell the small brass fittings. You can see them in my leak tester / air control system i used for installing my air bags. My air system looses about 1-2psi/ month per bag and my tank pressure looses nearly nothing. I had to tighten the fittings on the top of the bags, but other than that there are NO LEAKS, and thats with a air tank and incab controls (lots of lines and fittings).
[image]

Perhaps I am just lucky, however, I have had no leaks to date with my Firestone Ride-Rite system (and I have the bags, compressor, tank, and in-cab controls). This system was even transferred from one Dodge pickup to another in July, and I luckily have suffered no leaks from that. That said, I have not been impressed with the look of the Firestone fittings, and would not have been surprised if a leak did occur.

In any regard, I like what you have done, and I will keep your approach in mind if I start experiencing leaks. (I also like SS and brass SwageLok fittings for pressurized line use, but they are quite pricey).

* This post was edited 10/29/07 07:22pm by an administrator/moderator *

-'07 Dodge 3500/QC/SB/SRW/4x4/6.7L CTD/6-spd auto/35" Toyo MT's/Ride-Rite air bags/RS9000XL shocks
-'07 Apex 8 fully optioned w/220W solar/2 T-145's/2KW Prosine/Honda EU2000i/Tundra fridge/AC/etc
-'00 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4x4, highly modified w/5.9L Magnum V8

jgorm

san diego

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well i'm very picky about leaks. Most of my "leaks" were barley measurable after weeks, but would make micro bubbles during my soap tests. Plus the great thing about the fittings i mentioned are that they can be undone and redone in seconds with no tools.

trails2004

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any chance you could re-size your photo?

DonCurley

La Sal, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trails2004 wrote:

jgorm's photo seems fine to me from a size perspective. What are you seeing?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No offense but if your cutting them with the cutters shown in the photo then that's probably the cause. You need coax cutters or simply use a sharp razor blade to keep from distorting the tubing. I've installed three sets of those airbags with pumps and all the fittings and haven't had a problem.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Steven K

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

No offense but if your cutting them with the cutters shown in the photo then that's probably the cause. You need coax cutters or simply use a sharp razor blade to keep from distorting the tubing. I've installed three sets of those airbags with pumps and all the fittings and haven't had a problem.

Yep, if your using those side cutters on the tubing that's your problem. I used a utility knife with a razor sharp blade. You don't want to collapse the tubing when cutting it as this deforms it and you will have leaks.

I have no leaks in my system.

07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW, 6.7 Cummins w/ 6speed auto
07 Lance 981, loaded

PIC

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing many years ago with 1/8" tubing and a motorcycle air shock kit. I had to learn the hard way!

jgorm

san diego

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trails2004 wrote:

sure. Is this better.
[image]

For reference i did not use the dykes for cutting the air hose for the airbag install due to so many people saying it needs to be cut perfect. So i cut them square with a new razor and made sure they were perfectly square and pushed in all the way. But i have cut air hose with dykes at least 30-40 times (sometimes at an angle even) and have had 0 leaks using the fittings i use. I did cut the hose with those dykes to make my little pressure rig in the picture and had no leaks. Maybe the crappy firestone fitting leak if you cut them rough, and pinch it off, but the ones i use dont. Give it a shot and you'll see there is very little need to have perfect (or even clean) cuts. I usually roll them in my fingers for a second, or 2, to round them out a little before plugging them in. Remember i had no leaks from ANY of my fittings, only the the ones that came with the firestone kit.

spkncarl

That Way

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jgorm wrote:

[image]

actually I like it like this....[emoticon]

but hey, thanks for sharing for future reference.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Firestone fittings LEAK (how to fix them)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS