RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Firestone fittings LEAK (how to fix them)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Firestone fittings LEAK (how to fix them)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jgorm

san diego

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spkncarl wrote:

actually I like it like this....[emoticon]

but hey, thanks for sharing for future reference.

I was going to hyperlink it, but you cant see the fittings and teh big pic is only 146K. I guess I'm just lazy. Sucks if you have dial up maybe, but dial up always sucks so you must be used to waiting all the time so its no big deal. Also your hyperlink looks messed up, but nice coding!

[image]

'97 C3500 4 door dually with big heavy camper The Camper My Ford EFI Tuning Website

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/07 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As one of the requesters of more info of the HD air fittings, I would like to update my particular situation.

I found one bag itself was leaking where it joined the base plate. I removed it, re installed the fittings and submerged it and 3 different areas along the base were producing barely visible microbubbles. I did the same thing to the other spring which lost 3-4psi per day, and found that the fitting was leaking where the airline attached. I recut the line, re attached it and it still leaked. Cut it once again and no leaks.

As an experiment I cut the line at approximatly 85 degrees with no leaks, then ~80 degrees with no leaks, ~75 and then it leaked. I think the stock airline itself is crap, varying in diameter and not allowing the fitting to seal properly.

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/07 01:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't really had any major leaks in mine (65,000 miles) but they will lose a bit over a month. Your post mentioned one use fittings, when did they go to that plus I am not really aware of any push to connect fittings that are one use, got a pic of one of those?

'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

jgorm

san diego

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/07 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fittings that screw into the bags were single use. They would not release no matter what i did, it seems that the insert could not be pushed in enough to release the tube. Also for reference i have at least 40+ connections using these fittings on my RO-DI water system at my house (60-90psi). Most were cut with dykes and I have yet to see one leak at all. I pulled a few tubes to check the ends and some were very bad like a rat had chewed thru them and still no leaks. Also remember that i have incab controls and all the fittings associated so its not just 2 fittings like a standard install.
[image]

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/07 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hummm, I have had my bags off a few times and had no problem with the bag fittings.

landyacht318

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/07 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jgorm wrote:

The fittings that screw into the bags were single use. They would not release no matter what i did, it seems that the insert could not be pushed in enough to release the tube. [image]

I could not remove the air line from one of the fittings with no psi, and I couldn't remove the bag without removing the fitting. I wound up pulling so hard on the airline that I felt it stretch significantly before the fitting let it go.

I later used the same fitting in the submerge test and found it leaking till I cut the hose and reinserted three seperate times.

Now I gotta find a local source for new dot airline for when the replacement bags arrive tomorrow

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/07 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys that can't remove the lines do know that you have unlock the fitting first before pulling on the tube don't you???

* This post was edited 10/30/07 02:23pm by Raften *

jgorm

san diego

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/07 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no plastic on the one way fittings i was talking about, they are all metal. Normally you push in the fitting and pull out the tube. These fittings would not push in far enough to release the tubing. Not sure what ring you are talking about. Some times people add a c clip onto the fitting so it cannot be pushed in and released. Also I know most people dont have trouble, but i've seen tons of posts were people say their airbags leak and thats why i posted up some info about the fittings that NEVER leak.

landyacht318

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/07 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raften wrote:

You guys that can't remove the lines do know that you have to move the plastic ring also??

There is no plastic ring on my stock firestone fittings. There is a brass collar which must be pushed forward, then the plastic air line should be able to be pulled out. In my case the brass collar was pushed flat against the fitting and the line would not come out without excessive force.

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/07 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right, no plastic, all brass. I use a lot of these and most of them are plastic. I went to check mine and it worked as advertised so there must be some corrosion involved. Not surprising considering the location of the bags. I sometimes rub a chap stick on the OD of the tube or rub it against my nose like you would when putting a fly rod together.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Firestone fittings LEAK (how to fix them)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.