|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tight fit on Lance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
dandba

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/08 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After loading the camper on the truck for the first time, I'm encountering a real pain for alignment.

This is hard to explain, so bear with me. The truck box has the Happijac cross member bar with the tiedowns sticking out the sides. When I load the camper on to the truck (rubber bumper touching the box), the front jacks of the Lance stop almost dead center on the tiedown brackets that stick out. This isn't too bad except the tabs stick out to the point where I have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch room on either side without them hitting the jack.

I realize this is just due to the width of the camper vs. the width of the truck and there's really nothing I can do about it.

Right now the driver's side is only slightly touching the jack needs to be adjusted. Can I just move forward that 1/32nd of an inch forward just so it's not touching, and therefore the rubber stops are no longer touching the box? My understanding is that it is very important to have them touching.

If so, I'll just drop the jacks and wiggle the truck like a worm to gain that extra room without having to completely starting over loading.

2002 F250 4X4 Crew Cab
2002 Lance 815
2001 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1650

EricCO

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/08 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't had any problems when my bumpers aren't all the way forward touching the front of the bed.

2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD
2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra
2009 Lund 208 Pro-V GL with 250 hp Verado

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm wondering if the tie-down brackets were installed incorrectly on the front of the bed? How much do they stick out on each side?

One option might be to install the swing out jack brackets required on duallys.

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

dandba

Denver, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/08 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good question Brad. I'll take a pic and post it.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TorkLift tie downs will fix this problem in the front.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

dandba wrote:

I'll take a pic and post it.

I think my brackets only stick out about 4" on each side.

bilmarde

MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/08 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are worried about the bumpers touching the front of the bed you can get a piece of 4x4 and wrap some carpet around it a few times. That should make it larger than the bumpers. Just set it in the bed and snug the camper against it. Cheap and easy.

Bill D

2011 Ford F250
1998 Cari-Lite 31RK
1990 Chevrolet 3500 Dually
1995 Lance 945

Crumm

Fairbanks Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bilmarde wrote:

If you are worried about the bumpers touching the front of the bed you can get a piece of 4x4 and wrap some carpet around it a few times.

I would go with a 2"x4" to keep the camper as far forward as possible yet clear the jacks. It is best if the camper bumpers are touching in the front as in a panic stop it will be touching even if it doesn't start out that way.

2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

readytow

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/08 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What the last guy said.[emoticon] But seriously, I had that problem on a different truck and camper, and I just put a piece of 2x6, the length of the happi jac cross bar, to set the camper back a bit, and it worked fine. Or, you can change your rubber bumpers to a different sized ones, to get the same affect.

mike9121

Deep in the Heart Of Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/08 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same problem with mine as well. Both front jacks are more than a little scratched up. I never thought about adding something in the front of the bed. Seems like a good idea. Now for all the COG gurus out there. How much would moving the camper back, say for example 1 inch, mess with the COG?

2007 F250 Lariat 4WD PSD 6.0 W/ Timbrens /Rancho RS9000
2007 Lance 815 (Not with all the options but getting there. Added DVD/Stereo, 24" WS HD Flat panel, HD DTV, 500W Inverter, Fantastic Fan, Short bed kit, Jack Plates and Atwood Wireless Power Jacks)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tight fit on Lance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS