|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Stable Loads

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CTRAM

CT, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/09 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a set of Stable Loads on my truck last winter and I just got the first real chance to try them out with my heavy camper.
I just returned from a trip to Tennessee and back to Connecticut and put a couple of thousand miles on the truck with the camper loaded driving on various kinds of roads and conditions.
I aired down the air bags so the helpers were just touching the Stable Loads. The results were that the truck had much less side to side sway with the overload springs in play and the truck rode much better with less air in the bags. I was completely satisfied with this simple and inexpensive modification to my suspension and would recommend them to anyone with airbags. There is no effect on the ride of the truck when empty. I have no dog in this race and no affiliation with TorkLift, just sharing my experience with this product. Other opinions/experiences may be different than mine.

Dean

The Upsons
Dean, Jeannine
Wyatt, our Golden Retriever
2013 Roadtrek 210 Popular

jwolff

Richland, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/09 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have Stable Loads and believe they are worth every penny paid for them.

On my 95 F350 SRW they didn't seem to make much of a difference but I believe that is because my AF990 was just too much camper for that truck. But once I got my 01 F350 DRW it is much better. For me, I was not able to just put them on and go though. I had to experiment with the air bag pressure to get optimum performance. Too much air and it was back to the air bag only feel of all the sway. Not enough air and it felt like the air bags weren't doing anything. My magic number for the air bags is in the 50-60 psi range on the in cab gauges.

Now I have a Roadmaster anti sway bar and Rancho 9000XLs to install (they are sitting in the garage). I'll do one mod at a time to feel the difference each makes and keep you all updated.

John

John
2001 Ford F350 dually, crew, 4x4, 7.3
2007 Arctic Fox 990
1995 Champion Bass Boat

davedye

New Columbia, Pa. 17856

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/09 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me too, the only mod I made to my 3500 dually. My camper weighs about 4500lbs and the Stable Loads are very much worth the money.

Dave
2006 Dodge Ram Dually, 3500 Quad Cab 4X4, 4.10 Gears, Cummins Diesel
2008 Lance 981 Max, Torklifts, Class V Reese Tow Beast with 24" extension, Torklift Stable Loads
2005 Triton DV 176 DV w/150hp Mercury Optimax

Beddows

Abbotsford, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/09 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found them worth it as well. My truck is the GM so the design of them is quite different from the Dodge or Ford ones.

CTRAM

CT, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/09 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did some other mods before I put on the StableLoads. I have 19.5 tires, Helwig sway bar and upgraded shocks. The StableLoads were the last and final mod to the suspension and it was the icing on the cake. I am finally satisfied[emoticon]

kcabpilot

CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/09 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have Stable Loads but have Energy Suspension pads which are basically the same thing. I'd just point out that if you install airbags on a truck that has frame contact overload springs and don't also install one of these products then you may as well remove your overloads because they are of absolutely no use to you.

In other words, if you install airbags you really must install either Stable Loads or Energy Suspension pads as well (or one of the other brands or even home made extensions)

1994 Lance 990 on 1997 F350 PSD Dually "Rhino Haunches"

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/09 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kcabpilot wrote:

I'd just point out that if you install airbags on a truck that has frame contact overload springs and don't also install one of these products then you may as well remove your overloads because they are of absolutely no use to you.

Yep, that is true of the '96 F-250 and 2001 F-350 we owned with air bags. The factory overloads did nothing because they would not contact the frame brackets even when the airbags were completely compressed.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

BillS

Mount Pleasant, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/09 03:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kcabpilot wrote:

I don't have Stable Loads but have Energy Suspension pads which are basically the same thing. I'd just point out that if you install airbags on a truck that has frame contact overload springs and don't also install one of these products then you may as well remove your overloads because they are of absolutely no use to you.

In other words, if you install airbags you really must install either Stable Loads or Energy Suspension pads as well (or one of the other brands or even home made extensions)

Yep, I made that suspension modification about 5 years ago with Energy Suspension bump stop extensions. They have worked satisfactorily for about 30K miles of hauling our heavy Lance.

Bill

'03 Lance 1121
'03 Dodge 3500 Diesel Dually

F350mule

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/09 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, what energy suspension pad are you using for Ford trucks? Went to their site and didn't see one listed unless I missed it. I have a '99 F-350 srw. Thanks, Bill

2001 F-350 Crew-cab 4x4 2001 Lance 1010 Life is good

CTRAM

CT, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/09 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford and Dodge take the same Stable Load Torklift Part# A7200

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Stable Loads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS