|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GM Stable loads Installed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
woodrow

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey folks, Git the Torklift stable loads installed yesterday. Easy install ~20 min. Great investment! they have a dramatic impact on body rool/sway even when empty. The adjustability they provide is a great option. Cant wait to load the Fox up and try 'em out. The empty ride is lightly firmer and very comfortable.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting the photos. Added to the TCU Thread.

dmax lover

Portland,Oregon, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like you have the front and rear adjusted where they aren't equal in preload? Seems to me you should make them equal so that you don't throw off the angle on the u-joints...

jeff

2005 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed (KYB Monomax Shocks, Michelins,Hellwig Rear Swaybar)
2006 Northern Lite 9.6 Classic (Torklifts & fastguns)
Northern Lite Owners Club

BrandonR

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm eagerly awaiting the results of your testing with a load on.

Brandon Reed
Albany, OR

sukrfish

Roseville, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodrow wrote:

...The adjustability they provide is a great option. Cant wait to load the Fox up and try 'em out. The empty ride is lightly firmer and very comfortable...

Can you take a picture of your stable loads adjusted all the way DOWN so as to create proper gab between the main springs and the overload spring?

I wasn't left with ANY space between the main spring pack and the overload spring...which means that when empty you have the overload spring engaged, whether you like it or not.

This left my ride MUCH harsher when empty. Essentially you change your truck to ALWAYS have the overload spring engaged. Maybe it's just my truck though, which is why I am curious about the spacing you have on your truck with them adjusted all the way down.

With the TC on they make a big difference of course. That, along with the KYB Monomax shocks and airbags made it a lot more enjoyable to haul my 3K lb TC along.

By the way, I have an '04 Chevy 2500HD LB Diesel.

Dan

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/09 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sukrfish wrote:

I wasn't left with ANY space between the main spring pack and the overload spring...which means that when empty you have the overload spring engaged, whether you like it or not.

Dan

I'll be interested to see if he CAN adjust them so the overload is not engaged.
On my 06, there's less than an inch gap uploaded, steel to steel.

Cal

woodrow

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i believe if you took the overloads off and stacked them on top of each other there would be a slight difference in the exact bend angle of each, that is why yours dont engage all the same on your 3500, same as mine except they engage last as opposed to first as the 3500 overloads do. The gap between the main leaf pack and the overloads was slightly different on all 4 corners so unless you want your box to be at an angle there has to be some difference. The way i see it if It was level before and is level now the angle is the same. A couple of # difference in air bags could contribute to some difference in spring tension. never an issue in lots of towing miles..Thx for the input though...and yes those are the OEM(junk) shocks still. Need some Bilstiens, next on the list.

woodrow

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dmax lover wrote:

It looks like you have the front and rear adjusted where they aren't equal in preload? Seems to me you should make them equal so that you don't throw off the angle on the u-joints...

jeff

Guess i dont know where you are coming from on this one? Anyway the gap between the overloads and the spring pack is never exactly equal so there will always be a difference in pad height empty or full, also the overload to spring distance is greater in the rear than the front. I suppose installation may differ from mine from natural spring fatigue alone, not to mention tool boxes, fuel tanks etc...the installation was a snap and i have them preloaded taking into consideration the normal amount of unloaded air bag pressure, and maximum adjustability if nessecary on the slide side of my camper. All in all the ride is actually better, it sits dead level and are engaged just enough to start working as soon as any load is place on it. Keep in mind i have 285's and have leveled the front of my truck, so installation appearance may obviously differ from the stock configuration. I wanted to share the info as a guide to the folks out there that are considering them. Installation as intended is to work the overloads as they should be as torklift did a fine job of as well as less air pressure. Hey surkfish, as far as a stiffer ride when empty, if you want added stability or stiffer suspension with any aftmkt or factory setup I would say that comes with the territory

dmax lover

Portland,Oregon, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/09 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My overloads don't engage simultaneously on my 3500 srw either (which is a three stage spring pack with one more leaf in the main pack than your 2500hd..)

I still think you should do in the same number of turns on each one, front and rear. That way it behaves in a similar way to the stock configuration - it might be intentionally this way to keep the axle properly rotated relative to the rest of the truck when "under power". Does Torklift have any recommendation in the install instructions relative to this?

That is a pretty hefty overload relative to your main leaf pack - it might throw the angle off on the u-joints (tip the front of the differential slightly) - and just a degree or two will cause an oscillation that will prematurely wear the u-joint bearings. The u-joint at the rear of the transmission (or carrier if two piece driveline) should be parallel to the u-joint on the differential...

I had to add shims to correct the angle of the differential on my old '47 willy's (289, c-4 tranny, spicer transfer case & dana 44 axles...) - it used to eat u-joints for lunch...

jeff

p.s. Do I see the oem shock in that first photo?

trapperdick

Bridgton,Me.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/09 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good pics, I'd also be interested in the results after hauling a load........TD

OLDER AND BOLDER,,,,,N1ATF
Ford F-350 Dually Diesel, Lance 9SC, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 12 ft Hallmark trailer and Skeeter the camping beagle ">.........

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> GM Stable loads Installed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS