RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Serious stuff... all RVs... replacement parts

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Serious stuff... all RVs... replacement parts

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/09 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a couple of things go wrong with our camper on this trip.

First...our Happijac tie-down broke... it had held for 7 years but had a poor weld... you can see the porosity.

And the next thing that went wrong was stripped gears in our slide room mechinism.

[image]

These are the bad gears and the transmission.

[image]

[image]

[image]

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

dmax lover

Portland,Oregon, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/09 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bummer - can you buy replacement gears or do you have to purchase the entire assembly?

I assume that happijac would stand behind the tie down...

jeff

2005 Chevrolet Duramax 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed (KYB Monomax Shocks, Michelins,Hellwig Rear Swaybar)
2006 Northern Lite 9.6 Classic (Torklifts & fastguns)
Northern Lite Owners Club

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/09 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why is this important to you?

When I tried to phone Happijac I didn't get an answer...

some vendors have gone bancrupt!

I checked on-line... tried the phone again.

Gary answered.... WHEE!!!

The gears were $10 EACH... I BOUGHT 6 EA... NEEDED TWO. They would cost $100 each if you could get someone to make them for you.

.Anything that is unique to your camper... get spares or possibly lose the use of your camper.

Our remaining manufacturers and vendors aren't out of the woods yet. If.....

note..Gary also replaced my tiedown for free and Spokncarl took delivery for us.

* This post was edited 06/24/09 07:24pm by sleepy *

Jumbo Jet

Ozark Mountains, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/09 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is grease a no-no for those gears?

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 SRW - 2007 Lance 1055 - Torklift Tiedowns, Stableloads, Derringers, Pigtail - Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar - Rickson 19.5" wheels - Michelin XRV tires - Lance Cabover shocks, 2003 Keystone Laredo 29BH

spkncarl

That Way

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/09 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy wrote:

note..Gary also replaced my tiedown for free and Spkncarl took delivery for us.

Just glad we could help...[emoticon]

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/09 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should you strip gears like that and cannot get in touch with the OEM there is hope. There is a company called motion industries that has outlets scattered around and chances are they would be able to help.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/09 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no lubricants should be used

The metal used in these gears is crappy. MichiganRod should step in at this point.

By the way... there are at least 2 different gear configurations,,, this one with equal sized gears about 1" in diameter and 5/8" side to side accross the teeth.

The other configuration has a big gear and a small gear.

It would be smart for everyone to inspect their setup and order spares in case there should be a business downturn...even the company thatr our friend recommends could go under.

Gary3

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/09 04:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no way to inspect anything in the 2005 to now 1181 models they didn,t design an access door to get at the motor.On the good side I was told by Gary at Happijac that they ran the slide in and out 7000 times before they quit testing it.The gearbox is 200 to 1 hopefully that puts less strain on the gearbox but who knows.

Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/09 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary3 wrote:

There's no way to inspect anything in the 2005 to now 1181 models they didn,t design an access door to get at the motor.On the good side I was told by Gary at Happijac that they ran the slide in and out 7000 times before they quit testing it.The gearbox is 200 to 1 hopefully that puts less strain on the gearbox but who knows.

How do you change out the motor if you have a problem?

I have had several people contact me that have had problems with the gears... many don't have nearly as many cycles as we do.

Happijac tells me that some people tend to run the the jacks until they hear the bumping sound (the clutch then slips)... shouldn't be done. Also some owners overload the storage areas... aditional strain.

My purpose of this thred isn't to bash a product... just to encourage people to obtain critical parts in advance... a good plan in times of failing businesses.

happijac has been very good yo me

note... the little extra sales might help them to survive.

Gary3

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/09 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would have to router out a door above the motor, when I asked the guy at Lance he said they never had a problem with them so they quit putting an access.Happijac said the samething when I called and asked the same question.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Serious stuff... all RVs... replacement parts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS